Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Video gaming increases intelligence?

http://www.arm.com/iqonline/MarkPrensky.html

Damn right mate. I'm agreein' with ya!

I've always found myself to be really different to others in school in terms of intelligence, I believe this explains half of it.

I dunno what you guys think of it, but tell me what ya think.

At the same times I do think they can also make you dumber, like playing video games 24/7 and not doing ya school work!

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
I think it teaches reflexes and strategy memory...but it sure doesn`t help me pass my math tests...darn it.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:42 PM

I know it's taught me a lot of things. It's improved my English (like when I played DF1 when I was little I learnt new words, and how to spell them).

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 02-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrispy
I know it's taught me a lot of things. It's improved my English (like when I played DF1 when I was little I learnt new words, and how to spell them).

Chris

i learned some unusual vocabulary playin my games, i'd hear a word that didnt seem right to me, go to english class and read about it and it'd just stick with me

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 AM
VooDoo- is offline VooDoo-

i wish cod4 would help me with my differential equations..
Old 02-28-2008, 08:53 AM
"ath-hole"

Quote:
Originally posted by VooDoo-
i wish cod4 would help me with my differential equations..
I hear yah! That and my stupid Poly Sci quiz today.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 AM
ShArP is offline ShArP

Send a message via ICQ to ShArP Send a message via AIM to ShArP Send a message via MSN to ShArP
i just wish any game would help me with chemistry,,,

Old 02-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
i'm living proof that none of that is true
Old 02-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

lol, steve.

i should be the smartest person on the planet if this were compleatly true, i play about 75% of my spare time.

and ya right about the reflex part, i used to play need for speed 3 and had a car that i designed that would go 450mph and i could drive it at top speed thru lost canyons and that other canyon race.

my aunt lookt at the screen when i was doing that and asked me how the hell i could do that, lol, she said she couldnt even see that fast and she has awards from karate matches, and that requires good reflexes.

was told by a freind i would have made 1 hell of a fighter pilot when i was playing F-16 flying 12ft off the floor with the afterburners on and flying thru a vally or canyon. prob is im to tall for the planes, lol.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:02 PM
"ath-hole"

You have hayfever?

If you do yah can`t be a pilot for the AF
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Matt is offline Matt

Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Matt
lol video games dont help anything i guarantee u they dont help with coordination

have some computer geek try to go hit a baseball or catch something..not gonna happen, anyone can write an article on anything and people will believe it

im actually in the middle of writing why novahq makes math easier

Click here for the official member status images!

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
For your sence of free speech, we will control how much you have here .
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
fak i clicked it to lol.

the message "this will disable it" should have been put before

sorry
Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

playing counter strike does help in accuracy in RL though.

A friend of mine did a set of experimients for her PHD, 3 groups of people. All went to a shooting range and shot some targets. Once then went about their normal lives for a week, one played 5 hours of counterstrike a day for a weekand the other went paintballing every day for a week. They were then taken back to the shooting range. The most improved group by far was the counterstrikers, impoving something like 350% over the no intermediate activity group, paintballers mildly improved.

Groups were statistically large and randomized enough to discount biases in groups. Each group was given a day off between their activity and the secon dshooting range to nullify any tiredness biases...
Old 02-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
live on a farm and try to shot rats with a 22cal rifle

its not easy
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 PM

I won't imply that video games help you in every aspect whatsoever. And I won't say they're a substitute for going to school, or learning...

Everyone has different experiences, but I've managed to find that they've helped me a lot in my life. And if you're a modder, then modding video games really teaches you about how game companies make things, etc.

Chris
Old 02-28-2008, 11:43 PM
"ath-hole"

That is cool mike!

And it does improve reflexes. I believe the military wanted to us the AA concept to develope strategy and reflexes....fast thinking
Old 02-28-2008, 11:59 PM

Just make sure lol when you're in real-life holding a real gun you forget about the video games, even if they may help you a wee bit. Remember, what you kill ain't gonna respawn!

Chris
Old 02-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrispy
Just make sure lol when you're in real-life holding a real gun you forget about the video games, even if they may help you a wee bit. Remember, what you kill ain't gonna respawn!

Chris
i still can see a newbie joining the Arm force in some country U.S, N.Z, AUS, Iraq Army and newbie tell the drill Sgt, hey my rifle cross hairs they not working at all? the Drill Sgt turn and says what you talking about? the newbie says; you know them yellow cross hairs you see in them Video games, they are base on real weapons so were my color cross hairs at? Drill Sgt says; this is a new type of weapon they upgraded the weapon so you work harder to keep you in shape. then yell out to all we going on a 12mile march now pickup your new upgraded weapons let start moving out.

video games weapons are lighter then air, no longer hurt when you shot them off, and not one saying your weak as water when you go on long road march for 6miles to 25 miles walking with your heavy weapon with your loaded grear as you move across the terrains.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 02-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

Quote:
Originally posted by William
i still can see a newbie joining the Arm force in some country U.S, N.Z, AUS, Iraq Army and newbie tell the drill Sgt, hey my rifle cross hairs they not working at all? the Drill Sgt turn and says what you talking about? the newbie says; you know them yellow cross hairs you see in them Video games, they are base on real weapons so were my color cross hairs at? Drill Sgt says; this is a new type of weapon they upgraded the weapon so you work harder to keep you in shape. then yell out to all we going on a 12mile march now pickup your new upgraded weapons let start moving out.

video games weapons are lighter then air, no longer hurt when you shot them off, and not one saying your weak as water when you go on long road march for 6miles to 25 miles walking with your heavy weapon with your loaded grear as you move across the terrains.
Not only did that make barely any sense, it wasn't funny either.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
playing counter strike does help in accuracy in RL though.

A friend of mine did a set of experimients for her PHD, 3 groups of people. All went to a shooting range and shot some targets. Once then went about their normal lives for a week, one played 5 hours of counterstrike a day for a weekand the other went paintballing every day for a week. They were then taken back to the shooting range. The most improved group by far was the counterstrikers, impoving something like 350% over the no intermediate activity group, paintballers mildly improved.
interesting experiment

i went clay pigeon shooting about 18 months ago, bearing in mind i've never fired a gun in my life, i think there was only one other person who hadn't done clay shoots before and i was 3rd overall out of 20 (1st was ex-police and the other uses a shotgun on his own land iirc).

it was just like shooting with lag because the shot is slow, just takes a couple of shots to figure out how far in fron you need to shoot and then bingo well that's the only thing i can compare it to. i could shoot 'em right out of the trap to rather than waiting for them to get high and slow down. maybe i was lucky
Old 02-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

Quote:

i think they are experimenting with a gun with a designatior and it has a helmet that goes with it that has a HUD, it is part of the land warrior project >>>>>LINK<<<<<
war is getting more and more like a game every year.

and your right about the weapon being lighter than air in the game, carrying my Hakiem in 8x57mm with 20rnd clip weighs around 20lbs and a 200rnd belt weighs around 15lbs, pluss support equipment ,food ,water,sleeping roll,sidearm,sidearm ammo, gets a little heavy after hikeing up and down hills all day, i gurentee the guy in DFLW wouldnt run 2km without gtting a little winded, and id love to be able to hold the rifle as steady as the longbow dude in the standing position, expecialy after running all over creation.

Quote:
live on a farm and try to shot rats with a 22cal rifle

its not easy
i love to hunt rats with a 22cal, it is very good practice, want a real good challenge? hunt rats in te dark with NVG, they are dam near impossable to see.

Last edited by Mauser 98K; 02-29-2008 at 11:52 AM.