Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Web design and Programming
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Web design and Programming Discuss website creation and other programming topics.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:49 PM
JonM is offline JonM

Vb.net!!!!

Hey guys,

I'm excited, I'm taking a class on VisualBasic.net, and after just looking at what you can do I've never been more excited . This will be a second programming language, my first one of course being PHP. I've also been studying up on CSS (I don't really consider it programming...)
Old 08-25-2005, 11:00 PM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
I love vb.net.

In fact, got 2 programs in mind that I want to write using vb.net

IcI
Old 08-25-2005, 11:20 PM
JonM is offline JonM

Ummm i'm no VB.NET expert yet, but is it something that could possibly make a DFBHD Pinger and then when you double click on a server and then it auto joins the server after launching the game?

Also what are the programs you want to make?

Another program I really want to do is possibly a PHP CMS, with VB.NET Desktop Program to manage it, but I don't know if it's possible.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:21 AM
King is offline King

vb.net is very nice yeah. And vb & php can be combined. I did it once for a online store. the store writen in php, and there was an option to print the send labels out with a labelprinter. And that i did with vb.net.

bhd pinger isnt made in vb.net i thought..., but its possible to make it with vb

Old 08-26-2005, 07:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
I'm currently modifying neos.chronos to allow for the uploading of anaconda's server logs and a few other features (auto database pruning, auto montly stats restart, and a couple ideas I'm not ready to share yet ).

My goal is to be able to see who said what, searching based on name and/or date. Also, IP tracking will hopefully be available.

To do all this, I need to write a program to upload the logs to a php script. I'm thinking of having the uploader parsing the log files, removing all the automessages from the chat logs and putting the data into a database ready format. Then I'll have a phpscript to accept the upload and add the data to the database.

Second program is a bhd server status monitor. It will tell you who is in the server, how many, if there are squad members, and if the server is down a message from the server admin as to why. It may even be smart enough to inform you of any rank advancement or awards that you might recieve And I have an idea for this that will depend on my untold ideas for chronos hehehehe.

An other thing that is nice about VB.net, is that there is a 100% free vb.net/c#.net IDE out there. it is called #develop ( http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx). All you need to have is the .net framework installed (which is free) and you are ready to start coding.

IcI
Old 08-26-2005, 04:02 PM
JonM is offline JonM

do you need the .NET framework to have VB.NET ... cuz if you do that's crazy. I mean I don't have the .NET Framework, nor do I think my pops wants it... Besides it wouldn't be good for any programs planned widescale?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:15 PM

yes, you need the .net framework.

But it is only a 23 meg install (unless you get the developer version).

There is even a linux version of the .net framework called mono. They are still working on the forms part, but I was able to write a simple console program (like a dos program) in windows and run it in linux with no problems or changing of code (if forms are used, some porting may be needed).

That's one of the things I really like about .net Any one who has the .net framework will be able to run my apps, just by me sending the .exe file and any custom files needed (custom dlls may need to be registered).

Also, I think future versions of windows will come with the .net framework installed already.

IcI
Old 08-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Jeff is offline Jeff

Send a message via AIM to Jeff
Newb question here,
VB.net is the code right, so does that mean Visual Basic would be the program to create the code?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:45 PM
JonM is offline JonM

hmmm not to my knowledge, I do not believe that is right... VB.NET is just the Abbreviatiion

You know some PHP so you probaly know that PHP is Psomething Hsomething Psomething or something lol

however there is a programming enviorment that you can have for vb.net that i love cuz it makes creating forms / etc so much easier
Old 08-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Jeff is offline Jeff

Pre Hypertext Proccessor
Old 08-27-2005, 03:51 AM
NaughtyPerry is offline NaughtyPerry
Banned

the code is VB, and the prog is visual basic
Old 08-27-2005, 08:46 AM

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that Basic is the code (It stands for Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code). It is called Visual Basic because of the ablility to just drag and drop controls to make the forms. .net is just the latest and greatest version of VB.

but like elite said, it has a nice IDE, and making forms is a snap. Main reason why I never got any were with c++. It takes to much code to create a form.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

Youre close jeff, but the name is a recursive acronym, PHP stands for PHP Hypertext Preprocessor
Old 09-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Jeff is offline Jeff

awh, shucks.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:30 AM
NaughtyPerry is offline NaughtyPerry
Banned

i thought its Pre-HyperText Processor?
Old 09-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Jeff is offline Jeff

nope, BB/Mike is right.