Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Novahq.net Specific > Feedback / Novahq.net Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Feedback / Novahq.net Support Feedback & Questions for the staff

Old 02-27-2005, 05:13 PM
psycho.hellset is offline psycho.hellset

Send a message via ICQ to psycho.hellset
Bandwidth Management Rule

If your going to make rules on such things, you should know what your talking about first off. Bandwidth Managers are used on almost all broadband connections and it assures quality of service (QOS). You infact use a bandwidth manager if you have broadband connection period whether you like it or not. I could continue to lecture on bandwidth managment techniques used today but almost every ISP is different, and has different options for packet shaping.

The point im trying to make is, latency is a part of gaming. Might I suggest you REPHRASE your rules so were not all guilty of using bandwidth management. Another option that novahq.net can look into is using the MAX PING option on your servers. Thats what it is there for. If any NovaHQ.net staff members have any questions, feel free to ICQ me @ 10824724

Last edited by psycho.hellset; 02-27-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Quote:
Originally posted by psycho.hellset
If your going to make rules one such things, you should know what your talking about first off. Bandwidth Managers are used on almost all broadband connections and it assures quality of service (QOS). You infact use a bandwidth manager if you have broadband connection period whether you like it or not. I could continue to lecture on bandwidth managment techniques used today but almost every ISP is different.

The point im trying to make is, latency is a part of gaming. Might I suggest you REPHRASE your rules so were not all guilty of using bandwidth management. Another option that novahq.net can look into is using the MAX PING option on their servers. Thats what it is there for.
there is a difference between having your internet speed set by your ISP and using some software on your own PC (i.e. a bandwidth limiter) to intentinally cap your upload speed to amost nothing to gain an advantage in game.

maybe you don't know of such things, hence your post about an individual's connection speed set by the ISP which is unrelated to the tourney rules.

i totally agree that latency is part of gaming, as long as it is caused by cable quality or connection distance, and not done as a cheap trick on purpose, which is what the rule is trying to address.

i'm sure the tourney staff will check though the rules again to try and clear things up.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:35 PM

Unfortunately Steve, I do know what im talking about. Im a network engineer for a ISP, and I am very fluent with the procedures of bandwidth management. Whether its your ISP capping it, or you capping it from your proxy server on a LAN. It doesnt matter, its still called bandwidth management, and the solution to this problem would be using the MAX PING feature in the game.

Last edited by psycho.hellset; 02-27-2005 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:43 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
No, we are not talking about the bandwidth managers that your isp provides. We (I) am talking about the individual bandwidth managers that are downloaded to reduce your upload speed to nothing to give yourself an unfair advantage. Yes, we have been around computers long enough to know what we are talking about.

Yes, we know lag is apart of every game. We do not have to rephrase any of our rules. If someone has a question and/or suggestion, we are here to help. Not to be yelled at.

You don't need to come here and tell us that we don't know what we are talking about. Please think before you post next time.

We try to be as polite and clear as possible. If you didn't see a point in why the bandwidth manager rule was instated, you could have just emailed myself or tecoma. We do not take kindly to people like you who come here and tell us that we don't know what we are talking about.

Now, if you do not agree with our rule, just withdraw yourself from the tournament. No one is here to boss you around or make you do what we say. Although we do make the rules and we do want you to abide by them, we are not here to boss you around and make you do things you don't want to do. This is a fun tournament.

Please don't come here again telling us things that we already know. Next time, just kindly email myself (at edge@hqhr.net) or tecoma 2 (at tecoma@hqhr.net) for more information on the tournament rules.

Thanks, have a good day.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Quote:
Unfortunately Steve, I do know what im talking about. Im a network engineer for a ISP, and I am very fluent with the procedures of bandwidth management. The bandwidth management that you are referring to is done by capping a workstation's network speed on a LAN. Since this seems to be a problem, im not going to go into detail so everyone can maliciously do this. Its not as simple as downloading a program and capping your internet connection. There is a program called "netlimiter" which can cap some packet layers that your winsock protocol uses. This is an ineffective way and it is useless to do since BlackHawk Down and after titles uses other layers for network traffic.
sry if you think i said you dont know your stuff

players are still able to limit their connection as you said yourself so maybe you can help our tourney staff rephrase our rules to suit?

the rules have been the same for a few tournies and your the only person to question them, I guess because of your technical knowledge. but if they are technically incorrect then we will change them.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:04 PM

didnt mean to be rude. i was just trying to help. if you guys want to know what it takes, and some steps on how to combat this let me know. i also might be able to help you guys with game servers and a few other things. im new to the novahq community as you can see.

Last edited by psycho.hellset; 02-27-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

rules is hard to sort out
i think ppl know where were going with the rule, 100% accurate or not or it can mean slightly differnt things.

feedback is always welcome as is the other info u mention.
as edge says contact the tourney staff direct or me stevieb@novahq.net or the other admins anytime.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
look basic some have made them self lag in a game by doing thing, so they get a avenge over other, every one should not be lagging at all when playing the game they should be playing it at top speed their connect will let them be at, not to slow the data flow down to take avenge of it.

lag cheating been around and there no place for it now days. in JOTR Novalogic. Inc & Novaworld.com have emplace anti-lag cheat in to all their servers to fight lag cheaters. they been enforcing it for 2 years now and others are catching on to it. i think it great that Novahq.net is doing the same. there no room for lag-cheaters in the game area.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]