Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Joint Operations
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Joint Operations Anything about the Joint Operations series of games.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:40 PM
elaola is offline elaola

Converting BMS/MIS-MED file to NPZ/NPJ-NILE : Software not working: The NMed beta7 converter

Hello guys! I do not know if the forums here are still alive. I hope you all are doing OK. I am getting back to this game after like 5 years. I need some help with converting map files. We all know the NPJ2MIS and BMS2MIS software right? But the other way around (MIS2NPJ) is a bit more complicated. When I made maps before I always made them in NILE first and then converted them for the DFXmed. I am sure the most of you already know the benefits and the disadvantages with NILE, but here I go anyway:

The NILE map editor offers perfect 3D view of the map, so it is very easy to adjust and align objects correct. But maps made in NILE has problems. For example: map names, group waypoints, area triggers and firetime on AIs will not work at all.

IN DFXMED map editor everything works properly, but you will not have a perfect 3D view like in NILE. That is why it is better to start off making the MAP in NILE, then convert the NILE map to MIS file (using NPJ2MIS). Then you can open the map in DFXMED and work with it there and export it as a binary mission. A BMS file.

Niles Little helper 8 by OldMan offers conversion from .mis file and you can save it as NPZ/NPJ but after that conversion the map is protected. Trying to open that NPZ/NPJ map with NLH8 after this gives a message that the map is protected and therefore cannot be opened. So the solution to convert it to MIS again is to use the NPJ2MIS software.

So here is what I did. I converted a BMS file to MIS. Then I imported the .mis file in NLH8 and saved as NPJ. (so far so good). But when I tried converting back from NPJ to MIS with the NPJ2MIS software, problems occurred. The objects/AIs did not align properly. I converted back to NPJ from the MIS file and then I see all the AIs high up floating in the air. I remembered this problem and I am 100% sure it is because of NLH8. The thing is. You can always go the other way. From an non-converted npj to mis. The objects will align properly. But you can for example never go from an mis/bms MED file to NPZ/NPJ and then back to MIS/BMS MED without any alignment problems if you used NLH8.

There is/was another software that could convert maps and it was Nmed Beta7 by MichaBen. https://sites.google.com/site/jomapping/Home. This worked flawlessly converting both Nile and Med maps, but this program does not seem to work now because of new drivers I think? There is some issues with the Microsoft Visual C++. The program crash when I set the JO:IC Directory. I have also tried with the Joint Operation steam-version.

I tried go back to windows 7 and see if that could solve the error, but it didn't. I am thinking of trying to install windows xp sp3 on an old motherboard with an old graphic card and see if this could solve anything.

It seems Nile can or could import mis files? Seems to be the same Visual C++ error message like when using Nmed Beta7 converter. If anyone has a clue, solution or anything. Please answer! I hope someone is alive. xD
Old 05-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Could you possibly attach the file you are trying to convert (add it to a zip archive) to the forums? I can see if I can convert it using the program. It seems to open just fine for me.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 05-02-2017, 06:35 PM
elaola is offline elaola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Could you possibly attach the file you are trying to convert (add it to a zip archive) to the forums? I can see if I can convert it using the program. It seems to open just fine for me.
You actually got it to work? What OS are you on and what are your computer specs? I have tried several PC:s with windows 10 and it just doesn't seem to work. Everytime I try to set the directory it crashes so I have basically never even gotten to the convert part.

But here is the link to two of my maps I want to convert to npz/npj.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

I can tell you the height "error" is a common issue when importing MEd missions to NILE formats and also when exporting NILE format maps to MEd missions...

Some manual input is required.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaola View Post
You actually got it to work? What OS are you on and what are your computer specs? I have tried several PC:s with windows 10 and it just doesn't seem to work. Everytime I try to set the directory it crashes so I have basically never even gotten to the convert part.

But here is the link to two of my maps I want to convert to npz/npj.
Looks like TinyUpload is down so I can't really test it at the moment, but it does not crash when setting the directory for me.

My guess is you're missing a framework or c++ redistributable. Download and install the packages below and try again:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=3387

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=29

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=5555
Attached Images
File Type: png 081.png (9.2 KB, 2 views)

Old 05-03-2017, 02:13 PM
elaola is offline elaola

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
I can tell you the height "error" is a common issue when importing MEd missions to NILE formats and also when exporting NILE format maps to MEd missions...

Some manual input is required.
Yes, but with Nmed this was no issue. Wish I would know how to get it working for me. =/

Quote:
Looks like TinyUpload is down so I can't really test it at the moment, but it does not crash when setting the directory for me.

My guess is you're missing a framework or c++ redistributable. Download and install the packages below and try again:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=3387

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=29

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=5555
I thought so too. I had all this installed. I tried removing all x86 versions and only kept the x64 versions, but it did still not work.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/30de042.jpg

What specs does your PC have, and OS? I am so excited to get this to work. I use

MB: msi z270 a-pro
processor: i7 7700k kaby lake
Graphics: gtx 1080,

Sorry about the file. Should have uploaded here on this site instead, so here it is again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip joicmaps.zip (45.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

The program is working fine for me with those mis files. I am able to convert to mis, and output npj/wac.

Widows 10 Pro x64
AMD A10 CPU

That error in your screen shot is 99% of the time a vc redist c++ error. Even though you are on a 64bit OS, you should still install the x86 redist because the program was most likely written to target x86 since it was made in 2009ish.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:37 PM
elaola is offline elaola

Quote:
The program is working fine for me with those mis files. I am able to convert to mis, and output npj/wac.

Widows 10 Pro x64
AMD A10 CPU

That error in your screen shot is 99% of the time a vc redist c++ error. Even though you are on a 64bit OS, you should still install the x86 redist because the program was most likely written to target x86 since it was made in 2009ish.
On one friends PC I managed to atleast choose Joint Operations Combined arms, but after I choose the mod IC, it crashes instantly. I can choose esc, but not IC. =/ Dunno what to do. Have to try with an older PC I guess. I have tried installing all x86 and x64 on my PC. I cannot even choose Combined arms without it crashing.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:27 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I did not try it with IC, maybe it's not compatible? If I can remember I will try and install IC tomorrow and try again, at least then we will know if it's the mod or computer.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:31 PM
elaola is offline elaola

Quote:
I did not try it with IC, maybe it's not compatible? If I can remember I will try and install IC tomorrow and try again, at least then we will know if it's the mod or computer.

Thank you! Maybe I remember wrong, but I am like 90% sure it worked with IC. xd