Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:53 PM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
Its is the forum for discussion and this thread is getting big becuase it is being allowed to deviate to reflect the initial correspondents remit which is to learn the ins and outs of the game.
Its like a breath of fresh air when a guy chooses to learn buy asking questions that bother him rather than allowing himself to ride on the wave of propoganda which is the DF cheat/anti-cheat/couldnt give a monkeys, community.

Its off centre of the original discussion and I for one love him for it.

Old 08-15-2002, 01:41 AM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Whooooooooo take a breather bro!!!!!!

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 08-15-2002, 02:10 AM
HD135 is offline HD135

ZZ and Diamond,
Thanks for taking the time and breaking the subject down to an edible size. The explanations make perfect sense. Shooting in front of a player is something I have to do. But you are right, the actual distance varies with the server. It would stand to reason that the lead distance needed to make the kill has a relationship to the actual speed you are playing at.
I'm guessing there are also circumstances other than your connection speed that can cause lag too. If the server's connection is bad doesn't that affect everyones speed?

"The thing with ping is faster is a better thing but ping and things is not the only thing."

I love straight talk! lol A humorous statement that really does make good sense. Nicely done
Old 08-15-2002, 02:49 AM
Diamond Bullet is offline Diamond Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Diamond Bullet Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond Bullet
yes if the server is slow then the packet (i know this might get confusing) which stores the data and if sent to the server and then to the other player telling him hes dead. Now if the packet is sent by eg. my connection it will travel fast the to server but when the server get the info it must also send info to the other computer the players computer u shot at. Now if the server is slow then the packet will take longer to get to its destination.

I am not a pro but this is the way i think it works out.

MSN: db_dasniper@hotmail.com

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

supplied by Nev
Old 08-15-2002, 04:39 AM

The distance you are from a server.
The connection speed of the server.
Your Connection speed to the server.
The processing speed of the hosts PC.
The processing speed of your PC.

Occaisionaly a person who has connected to a server can cause problems to everyone. This is more a flaw based on synchronicity of everyone to the one host.

You may well see situations where the server suddenly slows down and everyone is giving it tttttttt
Then someone will leave (or finally lose connection) and the server runs normal again.

The trick to lower pings is to try and stay local. Thats why you can enter your country when you host.
DFFAVES or IP4LW(or tfd) actually pings the servers for you so you can see what the lag is likley to be. For best results keep to servers offering pings up to 300. Anything over 600 is likley to be so bad its annoying.
BHD is looking like its going to filter its server menus by the ping rate. Im not sure this is a good thing unless you can choose to change the way the servers are ordered as in Quake3 for instance.
In BHD it was hard finding a server with a group of guys because announcing over MSN that the server was on page 3 didn't help when some of your squad are stateside and some are in the UK.

Once you understand lag though you can compensate and it becomes easier to do this quickly. DF series is not always easy to see lag in action but if you can try playing Quake3 online.
On 56k in a high ping server say 5-600 or more its easily possible to shoot yourself in the back with your own rocket!

Old 08-30-2002, 02:08 AM
HD135 is offline HD135

Thanks to all the respondents. Especially helpful were the replys containing the technical rudiments of DFLW and internet gaming. Those type of explanations quell the "witchdoctor sorcery" approach that is so often heard. The forum, game, and players have surely benefited from the insightful comments made. Either that or I'm the biggest green horn on the web!
Old 08-30-2002, 06:03 AM

I learned recently that Novaworld has very specifically setup up servers too.
Apparantly in some other online games, if a 56k dude joins a game full of cable players, the 56k dude drags the speed of the game down to his level regardless.
Nova have a setup that eliminates that problem but at the expense of the refresh rate that fast connectors see the slower ones.