Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2023, 11:47 PM
mg is offline mg

Crazy hobby you've got! These all look great, and even more importantly accurate and functional.

I reckon your research is valuable for game developers and modders of all scenes (and you're always a fun read!). If you ever wonder if it's OK to discuss different titles or even publish your findings and your work elsewhere, I'd bet it'd be welcomed in many places.

Quote:
To test it, I'd need a target of known size at a confirmable distance, and I have yet to figure out how to do these things in CS:CZDS.
Distance units in goldsrc have definitely been researched heavily, meaning I'm sure you should be able to find some in-game tools/mods out there to help with that (or simply maps with measurement markers). Maybe check AMX Mod X for existing work or an API.

Quote:
I have convinced myself that the default FOV in CS:CZDS is 90°
That's correct.

Anecdote: It's actually the maximum value allowed. The historically cited reason was to prevent competitive advantage during the widescreen transition period. Given cropping gave a disadvantage on the vertical space most players played stretched (or with black bars) instead. The lock was never lifted on 1.6 and so very many people got used to that before transitioning to CS:S and then CS:GO (and soon CS2!). Some kept on with it out of habit even as those titles allowed widescreen resolutions. Inspired by those in the pro scene who did that, you can now see kids who never even played 1.6 mimicking the old pros and touting 4:3 stretched as "superior" without a clue as to why they believe that -- a modern type of cargo cult behavior. No harm no foul of course, it's just a funny curiosity to me .

I'm also one of those dinosaurs who still plays 1.6 semi-regularly. Feel free to hit me up if you want to have a few games!

Tags
bhd mods, bhd sights, m60 sights, optical sights, wtf