Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Elmo73 is offline Elmo73

Possible to have too fast of a connection in BHD?

I have been playing for a few years and all of a sudden I'm stumped. I consider myself to be a fairly good player but skills have been going WAY down lately and I am starting to get owned. Over the years I have gone through the motions, started out with dialup, moved to dsl, and now have cable. The game seemed so awesome when I first got cable a couple years ago, but as of late it seems to be going way in reverse. Pings are always awesome, 40-60 range (pressing k shows around 120ish), which is usually CONSIDERABLY lower than anyone else playing in the server I play. We play on a very well run and maintained dedicated server and admins swear nothing is wrong on their end.
What I see in game is somewhat like lag but not really. I'm not seeing the guys falling and shooting after they are dead, etc. I am just starting to get flat out owned by everyone, their pings are 2 to 3 times higher than mine. Here is a speedtest...

Awesome blazing speed and no one can come close to this when I have posted in forums on our squad page.
I have a newer custom built comp (about 5 months ago), Intel Quad Core Q6600, Nvidia 8800gt graphics, couple gbs ram. No problems it seems with the comp. It runs COD4 BEAUTIFULLY with no lag and I ususally have one of the better pings in any server I go in there too.
Now some have suggested maybe my vid card was going bad...doubt that seeing as COD plays great - but I did update it just to be sure. Some have suggested that i am too close to the server which is in Chicago and I'm outside of Detroit, but there are people that live even closer with cable internet that have no problems. Or maybe I'm getting too old and I'm losing my touch haha, NOT.
One person suggested I try a NetLimiter, but after checking it out I realized I have no idea how it works or even what to set my values at - but my squad has no problems with me using it if I can figure it out. They feel i might be leaving if I can't figure this out. It has gotten so bad that I am seriously considering hanging up my BHD days and moving on, which I dont really want to.
So I guess my overall question is...Is my connection too fast and maybe the computer a little too good for a game thats as old and outdated as BHD?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
cable way it work if there is a lot of people connect using the cable it can lag

slower to faster
Dailup
Cable not as fast as some think it really not so. (comcas or roadrunner service is the worst of the lot)
DSL (ADSL) count on the service type there are basic slow DSL and some package charge more for faster data flow
T3
wireless Air time $$$$$
dish service feed both ways watch Tv and Internet too $$$$, but there is a catch to dish output & input data Internet if there cloud cover can block it or disconnect one not very good for game play.

down my way Comcas stick it to the costumers, they are so full of it. sorry to say.

Possible to have too fast of a connection in BHD?
asker no! but down grade to cable a lower speed don't help ether. lmfao cable is not faster then DSL sorry guy

when using cable your sharing the data flow with other its like a party line only you see and do as you please it secure, but if there other as will can lag it a lot. DSL is not share connection or Dailup for that matter your the only party using the connection, but Cable there are other and all the data can change the speed to slower.

cable is funny it can be super fast then later on it can snail craw.

i know you can save money with cable service as will, but really it not super fast as DSL
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 07-27-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:51 AM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
I doubt its your connection or computer.
Would be interesting to see how fast the data is actually being transfered to you - Just because you have a 31,150kbps download speed doesn't mean the server is transferring the data to you that fast. I have a 3,800ish kbps download, yet I never download over 700kb/s.

I'm suffering the same thing - For me though its like I have been playing the game for so long that my skills peaked out and now I'm on a decline.

I used to be able to run into a room and clear out 5 guys with no problems, now am doing good to clear out 1-2 guys. I play better after not playing for a week or so. (been playing for 4+ years, until recently, 4-5 hours a night, every night that I could).

@chief:

At times cable is faster then DSL - He gets 31150kbps down on his cable, I only get 3800kbps down on my DSL.

Around here, the max DSL speed I have seen is 5 mb, of course you won't get that unless your right near the dsl hub.

But I also have heard of cable being slower then dialup. So only real advantage DSL has over cable is that the speed is more stable.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
yea will like you said if you download a big file it would be more like 700kb, not the same as see how one speed is will downloading a small files like or a page loads up.

Elmo73

best way to tell go to the download area and download a item like 10mb or so to see how fast it really is you should see the speed it being download 700kb or 2mb and up.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 07-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Elmo73 is offline Elmo73

But like I said, in game, my ping is usually around 40-60 range. If you press "K" and bring up everyones ping, mine is usually around the 120's. Everyone else on the list is usally 250-400 range. Most people in the server I play are running DSL or cable, only a couple dialupers left. The exception is our overseas players which we know that they cant help that, but for whats its worth connections to Europe has gotten a lot better the last year or two. I consistantly have a much greater connection (or ping) than anyone else.
What do you guys know about this NetLimiter that one of the guys thats played the game since its creation told me about? He does not use it and therefore couldnt tell me how to use it either. I checked it out and it seems like it does just what it says, limits your upload and download speeds. the problem I have is I'd have no clue as to what to even set it too for the game.