Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 08-31-2024, 08:18 AM
TrSniper is offline TrSniper

Cancel events

I’m working on a mission again after a long time, god knows if I will finish it. I have troubles with the following situation; the player had to solve an encounter in one correct way of killing the enemies, but different actions can take place while doing it. I have one event that go’s on green light if the player fails and alerts the enemies, but this messes up other actions.

Is it possible to cancel an event if another is activated?
Old 08-31-2024, 03:54 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

I made a coop map with a BH on each team, and each BH had three different possible routes that were chosen by... mission variables.

Mission variables are basically just subroutines that count things. What they count and how they count them are very much up to the mapper.

For the BH trick, I set up a count event that increased v3 by 1 every time group 3 (the BH) was in 3D area 3 (the main LZ). That event also reset the next event. That next event would reset the previous count event when group 3 was NOT in 3D area 3. So every time the BH landed back at base, v3 would count up, and I used v3 0, v3 1, and v3 2 to redirect the BH to one of the three waypoint groups. The third event in this subroutine would trigger when v3 was greater than 2, and would set v3 to 0, resetting the counter. I reset this event by activating the 'Reset after (seconds)' check box and entering 0, so it was ready to trigger again immediately.

What it sounds like to me is you need to set up a branching tree of events including mission variable triggers that follow the player's actions.

Let's say your enemy group 4 is on green alert with an attack range of 999m and engagement ranges set to 9m. The player then has leeway to maneuver around them. But then the player gets too close to one and that guy goes to red alert. This can trigger a group AI change. If group 4 has targeted group 1 then put group 4 on red alert and set max engagement range to 99m.

I don't know for sure if this will work:

You set up an event that triggers if group 4 is at red alert, then increase v4 by 1, activate reset after 0 seconds. Then add another event that, if v4 is greater than 44, and group 1 has not shot group 4, then change group 4 AI to green alert, and reset v4 to 0.

That means if the player gets spotted, but can avoid an engagement for 45 seconds, they can possibly continue.

Maybe set up a single 1m waypoint where each AI should be stationed, and if the player shakes the one guy chasing him, redirect him back to his waypoint, or something. Assign each AI to their waypoint in their items attribute, add an event loop for each AI that redirects him to waypoint 0 0 when he reaches his waypoint, and another event that redirects him to his waypoint when he's at green alert.

Like the player alerts an enemy. The whole group goes to red alert, and the one enemy that targets the player runs at the player. The player hides behind a wall, and 45 seconds later, the enemy group goes back to green alert, and the one enemy goes back to his post.

Will any of this actually work? * shrugs *

But there's a bunch of stuff that might be tricky, but possible, by changing mission variables and triggering events, or disallowing events to trigger, by what mission variables that the player changed.

FAFO, man. It's the only way with the MEd. Just rememeber, it's not science unless you take notes!

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 09-07-2024 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-14-2024, 06:27 AM
TrSniper is offline TrSniper

Thanks Baldo for the very detailed information. I’ve never used these functions and I have no clue how it works. But I somehow made it work. So the player is at a certain distance of enemies that are guarding an area. The player has to take them out at a specific order without the enemy seeing each others deaths. I’ve set up 3 different events(options) that can fail the encounter, 8 different events that react on that encounter, a bunch of area triggers, which some of the enemies enter over some time that doesn’t activate the failing events anymore and it worked smoothly. Maybe not the most effective way to do it, but then again I’m not someone with ‘scripting’ knowledge.