Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 05-28-2024, 07:54 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Forgotten Weapons put out a video about the Colt 4x scope that Brownells is reproducing, and I wanted one on a weapon in the SFOD mod I like to experiment in.

I optimized this for the CAR-15/M203 at 2x auto and 4x semi. The reticle is a fine duplex crosshair, I arbitrarily made the thin center 20 mrads wide and high. It's not meant to be illuminated, but I might fake a laser on it later.

The elevation is adjustable from 100m to 500m, although the real one is in yards.

I think it looks pretty good.

Edit: I did try putting a laser/red dot looking thing behind the crosshair, like you might see in an Insurgency Sandstorm video, but I really didn't like it. Something like that would be great in a dimly lit short-range situation, but it obscures mid- and long-range targets, and I can't abide that.

I'll assume you all know how the laser sight looks on the rocket launcher in Half-Life and the Eagle in Opposing Force, like an actual laser from the center of your screen that's not visible 'til it hits something, so it changes size from a tiny speck at the other end of the map to a view-filling glare on the geometry in front of you. Far as I know, you can't do anything that in a NovaLogic game, but it'd be neat. The weapon.def has a flag called 'laserbeam' on the Mk23s and the M4s, but it does nothing obvious.

I'm all shrugs about, it, honestly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_Colt_4x.jpg (172.8 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 05-31-2024 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-11-2024, 02:49 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

I saw this short and thought the reticle was kind of neat, googled around, found out it's sort of from the scope on an Arisaka Type 99, got this image for reference, traced the reticle, popped it on the Dragunov, confirmed it was almost perfectly scaled for 6x magnification, tweaked the windages to fit 6x, edited a new ammo.def entry for ammo_type99_77mm at 204 grains with 755 velocity and 0.325 drag, which got the drops close enough, then edited the targa to lock them in.

All the POAs are are a pixel lower than the POIs, at the most.

The reference image made it clear that the reticle is high in the scope. Most of the images I found of this reticle are like that. My testing on the reference image showed that the 500m hash is closest to the scope view center, but I feel like the rangefinder beam would be easier to use if I mounted the targa centered on the 600m hash and locked the elevation at 600m.

I did make a non-illuminated version of the Type 99 reticle, but I really like it in amber. Fine-line reticles in red contrast better on bright backgrounds, but feel too muted against dim ones. Fine green reticles seem too bright all around. Amber isn't perfect, just a decent compromise.

The real Type 99 should be 2.5x or 4x, but I like the detail at 6x, so I won't tell, if you don't.

Range testing with active weapon operating parameters (recoil 37 53 75, error 0.147 0.384 1.000 0.008 0.022 0.057) I get consistent single-shot hits on a 20cm² target out to 600m, then I need two or three rounds to hit a 20cm² target between 700m and 900m, and I might need a whole ten-round magazine to hit the 20cm² target at 1000m.

So I feel no explicable need to be unsatisfied with this one. I might still be unsatisfied with it, but I'm beginning suspect that's a me-problem, not a reticle problem.

//////////////////<- Fake Horizontal Line ->\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Edit: I couldn't get used to holding the 600m POA on a target to find range. It isn't intuitive. And the hitmarker flashing so low is easier to miss than I like. I recentered the reticle at the 300m POA, locked the elevation at 300m, and I'm hoping that finding range at the cross of the vertical and horizon will feel better.

I also reverted to the plain black version of the reticle, and we'll see how well I deal with that.

Please note that the fence posts left and right of the 300m target are 50 milliradians apart, centered on the 300m target, and the images demonstrate how precisely I subtended the horizon.

///////////////////<- Expected Next Edit ->\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Edit Again: Noticed discrepancies in the drops. Checked the targa against the reference image and realized that I had edited the tracing for CS:CZDS, not the SFOD. The reference image is at the perfect scale for 6x mag. in the SFOD. I reverted the drops back to the reference image positions and staked more pain into tweaking the drag. Got the drag to where the 1000m POA and POI locked (0.345 at velocity 755), then moved the other drops one to four pixels to their best positions.

This reticle is about as good as it gets, now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_Type_99_6x.jpg (228.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_Type_99_6x_2.jpg (213.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 06-13-2024 at 04:13 PM.

Tags
bhd mods, bhd sights, m60 sights, optical sights, wtf