Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 11-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Sybell is offline Sybell

Sad Cannot host on LAN

We have a private network running around 15 PC's behind Nortel Ethernet Switches with a Nortel Contivity VPN Router providing access to the Internet.

We play Delta Force Extreme across the LAN. I at one time could play as well as host but since I replaced my computer all other comupters see my game but when trying to join get "Enumerating Session" and it freezes. Not only can we not host with mine, but other computers do not host now that once did.

We are running out of computers that will host. I have looked up several articles that usually point to router issues and mention UDP Port 32768 etc.

However, I would not think it would be a router issue since we are all across a LAN and are hosting and playing on the same network, not on Novalogics. Could it be because we are going across the Internet to verify our accounts and then back again?

It seems to be more of a computer problem and not a router, because my old computer could host while my new one cannot. I have tried using static IP as well as DHCP and it does not make a difference.

We have been trying to fix this for nearly a year. Any help would be appreciated!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
each game must log-in their own log-in name & password of their very own.
can't use the same key-code to log-in with same account name & passwords get error doing so

JOTR and DF:X is setup to log-in lan games, must be connected to the internet to log-in their own password/ user name. its a anti-pirate software thing.

"Enumerating Session" tell me something what you using as a Enumerating

you using Windows Vista?
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 11-27-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Sybell is offline Sybell

All PC's have their own genuine copy of DFX on them with their own unique keycode as well as user name and password. All PC's are using Windows XP Professional running on a Windows Small Business Server 2003 environment.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Sybell is offline Sybell

Normally, you do a search for LAN hosted games, find the one that is hosting and it normally begins "enumerating session" then proceeds with the other normal ad lib stuff like "Standby for Insertion" etc. However when attempting to connect to mine or one of the other PC's that cannot host you can see the game and click on it to connect and it gets stuck at "Enumerating Session" and never goes beyond that.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
will do the system block anti-port scan and stealth mod enable if so see if you can disable that and try to play the game.

i find if these are enable
stealth mod
Anti-post scan
better if they was disable should be ok then.

there be some area block as a player will join but? like 2sec they bootout asap or can't join at all
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 11-27-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Sybell is offline Sybell

Please clarify what you mean. I am having difficulty understanding your sentence structure. Absolutely no offense intended. I do appreciate your willingness to assist.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 AM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
The only thing that seems to have changed since you stopped being able to host - is your computer (based on your post).

Do you have any firewalls on your computer?

Enumerating session means that it is trying to get in - and if it just sits there, it means it can't.

Which means something on your computer is blocking it...

Things I would check (or double check):

1. Any and all firewalls have either been properly configured, or disabled (I would disable for starters - then try to configure it to allow the traffic).

2. VPN configured correctly for your computer?

3. (touching on what chief mentioned, and tied into the firewall) any thing that puts your computer into stealth mode? Stealth mode causes the computer/modem/router/firewall to not acknowledge pings thus making it appear that the computer doesn't exist, or is off line.

IcI
Old 11-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Jckl is offline Jckl

the VPN shouldnt be a problem. I would look into the firewall issue. If either computer, host or not has a software firewall running it can block the connection accross the LAN. If you have not installed a software firewall then just double check that windows built in firewall is turned off.

http://www.projekt6.com
http://www.SteadfastWebSolutions.com - Need web development or Hosting? Visit us!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Sybell is offline Sybell

Windows firewall is not activated on any of the XP clients. We are however using Trend Micro Anti-virus Enterprise edition on all clients. Could this be the culprit?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Jckl is offline Jckl

i dont remember but that may have a firewall.. if so that is probably a problem.. ill look up on that real fast

http://www.SteadfastWebSolutions.com - Need web development or Hosting? Visit us!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Jckl is offline Jckl

ok if you have the package with

Trend Micro Internet Security

I would turn that off or open the correct ports and allow traffic to the opposite machines.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Sybell is offline Sybell

I ran a LAN Port scan. The PC that can host as well as my own have exactly the same ports open and closed:

My PC:
Open:
Closed:
0-134
136-138
140-444
446-65535

PC that can Host:
Open:
Closed:
0-134
136-138
140-444
446-65535

I can play while he hosts, but I cannot host. He sees "Enumerating Session".
Old 12-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Jckl is offline Jckl

some firewalls will open ports as they are needed. most software firewalls i have seen block access until it is granted. did you happen to scan udp ports or just tcp? Also may want to scan while the game is hosting..