Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Reboot problem

Well I've just installed XP on the new comp, and I found that when the computer has to reboot half-way through the XP install, it doesn't actually reboot? What it did was completely shut down, and I had to turn it back on manually.

Even when the computer is supposed to reboot itself after installing drivers - I still have to manually turn on the computer because it shuts itself down instead of restarting.

I have a ASUS P5N-SLI (manual? dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5NSLI/e2234_p5nsli.pdf) and I've honestly looked all over the manual. I've checked in the BIOS for any settings too. I've also looked to see if there were any jumpers I need enabling. Nope, no luck.

However, I do recall the computer being able to auto-reboot at one stage though. One of the XP discs that was sent to me was corrupted, so when the install failed, it rebooted the computer and tried to start all over again. That time, I believe it actually rebooted.

But yesterday I just recieved a fresh XP disc and the install worked on that.

Maybe it's an OS issue?

Oh, and the reset button works perfectly. The comp ain't plugged back in yet so I don't know what happens if I try to restart via "Shut Down".
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black