Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Man yesterday was a bummer...

Jckl guided me through setting up a static IP (since it had a dynamic one), and we managed to GET to the point where I could play DF1 online - the problem was related to DMZ however. I then was told it can be a bit dangerous, so I disabled it, saved and rebooted, and ultimately, the internet hung...

So I tried undoing the crap but no luck. I then rang up the ISP to ask for help. The guy resetted the password several times for the broadband account, and I tried putting it into the PPPoE/PPPoA - but no luck. At the end when we couldn't EVER suss it out, he told me to wait 20mins since he was gonna "reset" something for me - I found out that was BS and never happened... I also restored to factory default settings and nothing as well...

I rung up the second time and some other man told me it was related to the exchange (their hardware). They told me it would get sussed in a few days or so.

The third time, this woman answered, and said it was RESIDENTAL SERVICE!!! And told me that I should have rung this certain 0800 number - but the number she told me was the number I rung!!! So that was no help...

But mum came to the rescue (meh, a newb but I'm suprised), and managed to fix it through the help of a techie on the phone. It was the password that was the problem!!!

But wait, what made the internet hang in the first place? It wasn't the pass - I had nothing to do with it...

Jckl, I was thinking we can still narrow down the probs. BUT I don't want to do any of that static IP setup stuff and all - it's not that I don't trust you or anything, but it's just I don't wanna muck anything up. You said something like "before you save and reboot" - I should have listened and not saved and rebooted yet - if I didn't save and reboot, none of this crap probably wouldn't've happened...

Also, what if I type in the dynamic IP into the DMZ, and enable it? I have a seperate firewall already on the system instead of the modem firewall - you think it's safe?

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black