Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:55 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Baltic Sea and the Cold War

No this is not a political discussion of any type, it must be cept that way!

Have anyone of you heard about that pipeline that Russian companies want to place in the baltic sea?

If so did you also know that it was planned to be dug down in an area which recently had been known to house neuclear and biological weapons from the cold war?

It's been known for a long time that a soviet sub has been close to launching neuclear weapons against Sweden when a russian sub got stuck on Swedish territory, it was also confirmed, during the crisis, that it contained Uranium 238 and belived to carrie neuclear weapons onboard by investigations carried out by the the F.O.A on sight. It was later confirmed that the Soviet would launch neuclear weapons towards Sweden if threatened, this was confirmed by the Soviet officer that was onboard the sub at the time.

Actually have a work buddy that was stationed on an island close to the Soviet sub, responsible of guarding it.

Often dreamt about the war as a kid after all the things I saw on TV, I could also feel the worry of parents and other gorwnups, they always said the same thing "Det kommer aldrig bli krig i Sverige, det kan det inte!". Which translated would be something in the line of "There will never be a war in Sweden, it can't!"

Can't say the air sirens warning of incomming enemy airplanes helped much to calm you either when they ware tested every third month, still are but it's not in case of enemy airplanes anymore, now it's to warn public of toxic spills and so on.

I was probebly alot more scared then I should of been, but in the age of 5 - 8 the possibility of war scares me.

Anyways the above incidents show that there was a reason for my fear and it was somewhat grounded, there are so many incidents of soviet encounters in Swedish terretory that it's a miracle that nothing ever happend.

Both had spies in the respective countries which was obviously known by both nations, just not who. It just feels absurd when I think about what was really going on in the background. It was so close to becoming a full out war that it scares me even today.

Video describing the sub incident´and the song Katyusha(i like it):

They had missed a little in navigation, they ware heading for poland but ended up in Sweden. I would think this is what happens when you bring detailed maps of the Karlskrona, Sweden instead of Poland!

What isn't said in the video is that the Swedish costal artillery was 60 seconds from opening fire against the Soviet destroyers that was steeming ahead into territorial waters. Possibly 60 seconds from a war between Sweden and Svoiet, scary thought!

So what was your experience and thoughts during and after the Cold War, ever thought about it at the time or after?

My photography website

Last edited by SilentTrigger; 03-20-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Xx_jet_xX is offline Xx_jet_xX

Send a message via Yahoo to Xx_jet_xX
I was raised to fear the threat of a nuclear war. we had drills for what to do if one happens. funny they were the same drills as we had for earthquakes. when I was a little kid there were all kinds of nuclear war movies, I suppose I was afraid one would happen.

I cant see why soviet russia would want to take over Sweden, its not a country that has a good tactical value for territory, and allowing Sweden to remain nuetral is more benificial than it would be as a conguered state.

WTF-Squad

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. -George Carlin
Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Here's a Soviet map constructed by the Soviet military Generals of highest rank. It shows where to deploy troops for an invation of Sweden, where Swedish costal artillery is placed, depths in harbours. Locations of the secret (we thought they ware ) military installations blown into the rock of the costal areas. This map was released by MUST, Swedish Military Intellegence Service

They had for some reason a very live and well planned invasion of Sweden that was to be carried out. There's a reason why the sub was where it was, there was no missnavigation of any sort (well besides the part of getting stuck) their navigation equippment was all in tip-top condition. They had very detailed maps of that area and they ware there to spy on Swedish activities. We had submarine trials conducted in the area with a new sub.

There was even an instance where a swedish submarine on speed trials went to surface after reported enemy activity in the area. The enemy sub (a Soviet sub) passed 20 cm under the Swedish sub in high speed it had followed the Swedish sub in an etempt to gather intelligence and recordings of the new sub, the threat was discovered by sonar equipped helicopters.

After the incident of the sub that got stuck there ware an increasing submarine activity all around Swedish costal areas within the Baltic Sea. It is known that US conducted avarness trials around none NATO countries to get an understanding of what the level of defense was in thoese countries, but this was agreed apon by the countries.

Their intentions ware to invade Sweden, it was never carried out before the fall of the Soviet Union. However, the submarine activity didn't stop after the fall of the Soviet Union, it continnued. Also mini subs used for putting toops on ground has been sighted on Swedish territory. Frogmen has been sighted near costal areas, even on ground.

Sweden was seen as a valueable asset, being close to NATO Countries. And also the fact that Sweden did cooperate with NATO with valuble military intelligence.

There was more going on then was seen outwards.

The costal artillery had locked on to the Soviet destroyers by a radar system in the last 60 seconds, they had strict orders from the highest command to fire if the destroyers entered Swedish waters, Soviet destroyers of the Kashin class ware 60 seconds away when the Soviet destroyers decided to alter course away from Swedish borders. If they had not decided to do this the costal artillery would of fired, most likley starting a war. The sub was equipped with neuclear weapons, the destroyers ware fully equipped for war, with infantry forces aboard guns and missiles ready to fire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sovjet_karta.jpg (68.5 KB, 3 views)

My photography website

Last edited by SilentTrigger; 03-21-2010 at 06:39 AM.