Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Web design and Programming
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Web design and Programming Discuss website creation and other programming topics.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:35 PM
JonM is offline JonM

Help, please take this survey to help me

In the planning stages of creating a forum

HERE ARE some planned features, if you don't like them or want to add to them go ahead and tell me: (NOTE: THESE ARE FEATURES I DON'T REALLY SEE IN OTHER FORUMS)
  • Moderators get permissions from admin (I.E., may beable to edit posts, but not post topics, or the admin can restrict certain posts from a moderator, etc)
  • Admins can only do what the God Admin set (I.E., may be able to create new forums, but not delete current ones)
  • Fast and easy to theme
  • Instant messanger, you login, you sign in to your im and you can im with friends or people on your list that you add (which you can do manually, or reading their posts or profile you can click add to list)
  • PM's now like email. Attach attachments, multiple ones, and send it as if it were a mass email to multiple people!
  • Users can be restricted from certain polls, threads, or even categories

Now that's not all, but those are major ones I am really planning on working on. Please help out! (P.S. the forum software i make will be free to use for non-commericial use!)

Please answer these questions

1: What do you like that most forums have?

2: What don't you like that most forums have?

3: What are some new features you'd like to see that most forums don't have

4: How would u make it themable, via the admin-side or themes side (like PHPBB)

5: What are administrator features that you feel god admins should have? What about normal administrators?

6: What are moderator features that you feel moderators should have?

Thanks for your time, and whatever you answer will be taken into consideration, what you answer could influnce a new and large scale forum system scheduled to come out in the next couple of months!

Thanks, Elite
Old 09-08-2005, 11:13 PM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
1. User Groups, (in some of them) user specific permissions
2. nothing comes to mind
3. The ability to COPY a post to a different board (not move and leave a shadow).

4. Both.. Make it like SMF. You can theme it similier to phpbb, or through the admin you can just tell it to use a css file and theme it that way.

5. IP address search + all the normal stuff. For normal admins, what ever the god admin thinks the normal admin should have. god admin should be able to give the normal admin the ablity to do any combination of admin tasks that the god admin can do.

6. normal mod stuff + copy post to a different area (see 3)

Good Luck!

IcI
Old 09-08-2005, 11:16 PM
JonM is offline JonM

Thanks IcI your input is noted I really like it all, except the whole theme it in three different ways sounds hard, but i will look into it!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Better way for tracking users ip's etc. vb2 is pretty crappy for that, hard to search for ip's and get results.

Super admin account that cannot be deleted and can set permissions for other admins. Maybe this account requires 2 passwords to login as super admin incase someone knows of one password. Maybe make it optional to use the 2 password system.

Lots of settings for admins and users like you stated above. Can add topics, but cannot remove, or rename etc etc.

Easy skinning kinda like vbulletin, but also an easy way to implent skins. I don't mind alot of forums default skins, as long as I can just change the colors. So easy skinning would be a big plus compaired to vbulletin/phpbb.

I love lots of options, not only big things but the smaller things also.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 09-09-2005, 08:31 PM
JonM is offline JonM

Ty P, you and IcI have really got something here ... I'm also noting that themeing via webforms as well as html docs is big and should be easy to do. Thanks again for your time! Also IP tracking I will definitely look into.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Lucky is offline Lucky

1: What do you like that most forums have?

i think this forum, and how you can do much in a quick responce box

2: What don't you like that most forums have?

glitches

3: What are some new features you'd like to see that most forums don't have
n/a

4: How would u make it themable, via the admin-side or themes side (like PHPBB)
themes

5: What are administrator features that you feel god admins should have? What about normal administrators?

gods-everything-full acess

normal-limited acces

6: What are moderator features that you feel moderators should have?
ablity to change posts and delete them
also be abe to delete and ban some users for a reason
Old 09-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

a system where admins/mods can leave notes about a user that the user never sees, so when for example i need to delete a post, i can tag the users record as such to keep track of it...

Also, a optional system where access to the CP by a user has to be from a certain ip (or range of ip's) oviously this would have tyo be turned off for folks with dynamic ip, but its more security (particularly for Super Admin) for those that have a static IP...
Old 09-10-2005, 01:34 AM
JonM is offline JonM

Thank you living and BB/Mike you don't know how helpful this is. This will really get a forum up and going with features that are needed, and features that aren't really needed I don't create. This saves time .

Thanks, Elite
Old 09-10-2005, 05:14 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

Possible site integration is somethin that alot of forum software dosent come with but is always constitutes the most popular mods and seems to give everyone the most trouble. I think that the ability to generate and use things like

Login Box/Welcome Back Box
Polls
Private Message Site Integration

and the like would be beneficial..
Old 09-10-2005, 09:53 AM
JonM is offline JonM

I have thought of that. After developing and releasing the forum in it's first beta mode I will possibly try to do something to that extent .