Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 02-19-2024, 11:30 AM
black hawk is offline black hawk

Is this hard drive dead?

I plugged in a hard disk from my previous build abut 5-6 years ago, which got fried due to power surge. I never checked it again, and now after finding it, and hooking it up, it never shows up. I have tried multiple cables and ports, but to no effect. I try to feel for any vibration or sound after connecting it, but I don't think I get any.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:51 AM
chopperprop is offline chopperprop
=TMW=

Send a message via MSN to chopperprop
If your hard disk isn't showing up or making any sounds when connected, it's possible that it may have suffered physical damage from the power surge or simply degraded over time. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

Check connections: Ensure that the connections between the hard disk and the motherboard (SATA/power cables) are properly seated. Sometimes loose connections can prevent the disk from being detected.

Try different ports and cables: You mentioned you've already tried multiple cables and ports, but it's worth trying a different combination to rule out any issues with specific ports or cables.

Check BIOS/UEFI settings: Enter your computer's BIOS/UEFI settings and see if the hard disk is detected there. If it's not showing up in the BIOS, it's likely a hardware issue.

Test the hard disk on another computer: If possible, try connecting the hard disk to another computer to see if it's detected there. This will help determine if the issue is with the hard disk itself or with your current computer's hardware.

Listen for sounds: While modern hard disks are generally quiet, you should still listen for any sounds indicating that the disk is spinning up. If you don't hear anything at all, it could be a sign of a mechanical failure.

Check for physical damage: Inspect the hard disk for any signs of physical damage, such as dents, scratches, or burnt components. If you find any, it's likely that the disk is beyond repair.

Consider professional data recovery services: If the data on the hard disk is valuable and you're unable to get it working yourself, you may want to consider professional data recovery services. They have specialized equipment and expertise to recover data from damaged or malfunctioning disks.

If none of these steps help, it's possible that the hard disk is irreparably damaged and may need to be replaced. Remember to always back up your important data to avoid situations like this in the future.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:35 AM
black hawk is offline black hawk

Thanks for the reply. I think it's dead, as even the bios shows nothing. I'll keep it around though. Maybe when the time comes, I'll tinker with it more.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:58 AM
jabo1SFH is offline jabo1SFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by black hawk View Post
Thanks for the reply. I think it's dead, as even the bios shows nothing. I'll keep it around though. Maybe when the time comes, I'll tinker with it more.
you can get disk readers online. i have a couple and was able to retrieve files from old disks that i thought were totally dead.

look on amazon for hard drive readers. most are just plug and play.

Old 02-22-2024, 05:32 PM
~BLÃÐE~ is offline ~BLÃÐE~

Send a message via ICQ to ~BLÃÐE~
i have found the last 3 hhd's died in the boot sector, so wont boot up but all info still there to retrieve
Old 02-29-2024, 01:21 PM
chopperprop is offline chopperprop
=TMW=

Send a message via MSN to chopperprop
When ever am sure the Hard drives are dead I take them apart and take out the magnets they are super powerful.