Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

View Poll Results: New research has shown that the latest bloodthirsty video games make the brain act as
Yes, todays games are so realistic that the brain can be affected. 2 9.52%
No, people can seperate reality and fantasy. 5 23.81%
Its impossible to generalise. Individuals will react differently. 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Send a message via ICQ to Sal UK
Games V Reality.

This is a poll that is on my ISP at the moment thought I would post it here, See what yo think.

Here is the Question as it will not fit in the Question Box.

New research has shown that the latest bloodthirsty video games make the brain act as if the violence is real. Does this worry you?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Ive gone with "Its impossible to generalise. Individuals will react differently."

As there are some major nutters out there...lol
Old 06-24-2005, 10:56 AM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
My dad saw something about this on the News and he had to point it out to me. Supposedly some guy was playing Grand Theft Auto and decided to follow the game and shoot a few people dead and kill himself.

They blame it on GTA, I blame it on the dude not being mentally stable.

I am never going to go shoot up a store or anything because I play Black Hawk Down or BattleField 2...
Old 06-24-2005, 10:59 AM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Different people act differently. Those with emotional issue might act violently, but I don't see a "normal" person doing anything over the top...

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 06-24-2005, 11:00 AM
"ath-hole"

The only reason why they are making it look like the games do that is because they are NEW and they have a lot of people playing them.

They did the same thing with movies. They had copycats that would follow the movies to the T. I guess we should stop watching movies too!
Old 06-24-2005, 11:06 AM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Personally, I play games for two reasons.

1. To relax: Not worry about daily things and just outlet somewhere.

2. Helps in work: Gaming lets me thing in N number of variables, especially FPS. You need to be alert all the time and run different scenarios before attacking a target. This translates very well when it comes to testing a software.

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 06-24-2005, 11:24 AM
JonM is offline JonM

Personally FPS helps me a lot. All my freinds who watch my play are amazed...they go wow u keep track of so much. I keep track of where my freindly team mates are, listen to breath, know where i am, know where people died, what area has no troops, watch ammo consistently, etc... all on multiplayer. It helps me relax and think straight as DD#1 said.

-Elite
Old 06-24-2005, 01:54 PM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Cool

I think this might be yet another scare story about "violent" PC/Console games.

Personally no game has ever made me feel violent and I find them a great way to relax.

I think people who commit acts of violence after supposedly playing a "violent" game are probably inclined to violence anyway.

Regards
Old 06-24-2005, 02:03 PM
.x3.murdock is offline .x3.murdock

different people will react differently, there are nut jobs and then there is generalizers
Old 06-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
No, people can seperate reality and fantasy.

••• 26th MEUSOC 940311 93-95MySpace •••
Old 06-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

those doctors dont know what the heck they talking about, ive been playing since df1 and havnt had any violent tendicies.
the biggest thing is that the people who are cunducting and funding this study are some of the same that were at the airports shouting obsinities during the 60s.

and u cant predict what any1 is going to do it all depends on the indavidual and their mind set,
and want to hear something realy screwed up, ya know how they ge all these high statistics of children getting killed due to all this violence? the numb nuts that dont want any1 to have a firearm have decided to include and all the way up to including 25yr old as a child so that they could say that there are more child deaths due to gun violence.

and the funny part is that i hardly ever hear about any stabings on the news anymore, even thoe more people have knives than guns, for the news agencies,the public ones,are in with the plan to rid us of our horrable weapons.

and contrary to belief, if they wanted to they could stop all the gangs that are causing all these problems, but they wont.

for the politicians were quoted as saying that there is a acceptable level of violence, meaning that they dont plan to stop it due to the fact that they can use the situation to push more laws into effect.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

The ones that give this answer "No, people can seperate reality and fantasy."

I think you need to think about what your saying, As giving that answer you are giving that answer for everyone that plays games, Not just your own personal answer.

I could never kill anyone for real Games or No games, But I know there are a lot of mentally desturbed people out there, That would not think twice about copying a game or movie....

In an hour or so Ill post the final vote count for this from my ISP.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:25 PM

i dont belive in murder, but have no problem with erasing some1 to protect this country, my family,my property,or myself.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:30 PM
"ath-hole"

It is the person that makes the decision. The video games are just there. People that are crazy and have that mindset are going to always be crazy unless they get treatment.

They could read something in a book and try doing that, they could watch a movie or a tv show and try and do what was in that show. It is stupid to blame it on consoles, there are many more factors that can be blamed for this.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:47 PM
VooDoo- is offline VooDoo-

everyone is diffrent, and you said it sal, some people are nuts...
Old 06-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Below are the results of this same poll on my ISP Page.

Yes, today's games are so realistic that the brain can be affected. (43%)

No, people can separate reality and fantasy. (17%)

It's impossible to generalise. Individuals will react differently. (40%)

Final votes Cast: 13057
Old 06-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

Games that are percieved as being realistic in nature are contributing to the conditioning of people to the point where yeah, some cant differentiate between reality and fiction.

Theres a very famous experiment that if you do a psych class youd have heard about called Pavlovs Dog. Pavlov who actually stumbled across this by accident, realised that if you strike a bell enough just before you feed dogs enough times, then the dog will associate the bell with food as an automatic reflex.

Thats fundamentally whats happeining with computer games...

Its the matrix come true i tells ya... "Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?"
Old 06-25-2005, 12:42 AM

im no dog, lol
Old 06-25-2005, 01:17 AM
VooDoo- is offline VooDoo-

Quote:
Originally posted by BB/Mike*MFA*
Games that are percieved as being realistic in nature are contributing to the conditioning of people to the point where yeah, some cant differentiate between reality and fiction.

Theres a very famous experiment that if you do a psych class youd have heard about called Pavlovs Dog. Pavlov who actually stumbled across this by accident, realised that if you strike a bell enough just before you feed dogs enough times, then the dog will associate the bell with food as an automatic reflex.

Thats fundamentally whats happeining with computer games...

Its the matrix come true i tells ya... "Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?"
:S so what your saying is if i ever hear a gun shot on the street, i'll think it's ok to bust out a rifle, shoot him, and think nothing of it :S lol ..

i'm not joking, tring to figure out what you mean by that :P
Old 06-25-2005, 03:45 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Cool

I really can't see that any normal, sane person would be so adversly affected by playing a violent game that they could not distingusih between fantasy, which all games are, and reality which is far different.

When I was a child I saw literally thousands of tv shows and movies that were violent and we played war games, cowboys and indians etc but going bang and watching actors pretend to die never made me want to shoot anyone!

You may be more interactively involved in modern PC games but your sat at a keyboard using a mouse so you would have to be either very dumb and stupid or both to beleive it's even approaching reality.

It could be said as in the Matrix movie that reality is only the world your senses feel, hear, see, smell and touch around you but that is reality and not some game where your blowing things up and shooting game characters.

There will always be some who think that playing these "violent" games will somehow make some weak minded individual try to act out the fantasy of a game but for the vast majority of gamers, they are and always will be a way to have fun and escape from the more mundane aspects of day to day living and a geat way to relieve stress and meet folks on line!

Regards