Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:08 PM
johnno56 is offline johnno56

Tunnel project

I am curious about tunnels. Not so much in making tunnel maps, but making tunnels.

I would like to try and make tunnel segments to be used in tunnel maps.

Does anyone know what program or programs are used in making the 3D models?

How do I extract the existing models to use for comparison? (Assuming I am permitted to of course. Copyright and all that.)

How do I integrate the new tunnel models into DFLW?

Please, do not go "Wow, you can do that?". At the moment I can not. I would like to know if it is possible.

I do not know about you guys, but I counted about 3 types of tunnel models. 1. Rough rock, 2. Sandstone and 3. Elliptical with pipes. (my interpretation of their description. Forgive if I am wrong.)

I personally would like a little more variety. Different types of tunnels with perhaps variable lighting etc.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

J

May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:54 PM
MERMITE is offline MERMITE

WARNING:
I urge you to really consider the outcome of you doing this, it may take a lot of time patience, money and effort on your part for very little in return, by the time you have acheived status, the guys doing this have moved on yet again,
YOU ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST EFFORT

q: I am curious about tunnels.unquote
a:Well you better read up about Blink Boxes then

q:I would like to try and make tunnel segments to be used in tunnel maps.
Does anyone know what program or programs are used in making the 3D models?
a: Best is the most expensive ($2k-5k) for 3d max 6 or 7 ..try ebay

q:How do I extract the existing models to use for comparison
a:FwO_PFF_7 and BFC1Extract to unzip

q:How do I integrate the new tunnel models into DFLW
a: Drop to game Dir.

q: ..counted about 3 types of tunnel models. 1. Rough rock, 2. Sandstone and
a: these are skins that wrap around 3d models, in .dds format use DDS Converter

q:Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
a:Tunnels, the Novalogic Way...by EE
http://www.dfreload.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2118

have a poke here
http://www.dfreload.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=64
and 'ere
http://mods.terranova-exp.com

DFLW is very very old it can still be done but much easier for the novice to move to Black Hawk Down at least (BHD had Tunnels) I think DFLW had only caves, been that long lol
"M"
Old 12-16-2009, 06:58 PM

Mermite,

In a nutshell you are saying...

It IS possible but would take a lot of time and money. Sounds like a challenge

You are definitely correct. DFLW is very, very old. I just like LW and the "feel" of the game. I also have DF1, DF2, DF:TFD, DF:BHD, DFX and DFX2 (not tested yet). I usually play one "to death" then remove it and install the next.

For a noob mapper (and I use the term "mapper" very loosely), such as myself, which game would you recommend that I concentrate on?

Again, thank you for the advice. It is much appreciated.

regards

J

Live long and prosper.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
i send it COD $7 to you!
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 12-17-2009, 12:13 AM

Ummm... William. Did I miss something? To whom is your comment directed?

Regards

J

Live long and prosper.

Last edited by johnno56; 12-17-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:02 PM

BHD is the way to go, start modding (modifications) modder one who mods, just because there is already a heap of mods out there already, along with the tools for it,
most modders work in bhd and convert back to there game.
In particuler 'the unoffical mod pack' & 'the offical mod pack' trying to find them these days could be difficult, try here or the df barracks, EE will help you out and is quite an advanced modder himself but caution he's in South Australia

"M"

Don't mind Willie he's never been the same since his wheel fell of his Rototiller...lol
Old 12-17-2009, 02:51 PM

Mermite,

Thankyou for the advice. I will certainly give it a bash when I next install BHD.

I am practicing my tunnel skills (and the term "skills" is used very loosely) with LW. Until I found out about the "little known" feature called "snap to grid", it took me a while to make and align the simplest tunnel. Wow! What a time saver THAT little function is! Blink groups and parents looked a bit tricky, but once I got the hang of it, no more black bits! Cool.

I have no need to be cautious of EE, after all, we Victorians are not afraid of Crow-eaters. (The term Crow-eater was based on their their tendency to hunt and eat crows in Victoria during the Victorian Gold Rush of the 1850's.)

Regards

J

Live long and prosper.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:07 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno56 View Post
Mermite,

Thankyou for the advice. I will certainly give it a bash when I next install BHD.

I am practicing my tunnel skills (and the term "skills" is used very loosely) with LW. Until I found out about the "little known" feature called "snap to grid", it took me a while to make and align the simplest tunnel. Wow! What a time saver THAT little function is! Blink groups and parents looked a bit tricky, but once I got the hang of it, no more black bits! Cool.

I have no need to be cautious of EE, after all, we Victorians are not afraid of Crow-eaters. (The term Crow-eater was based on their their tendency to hunt and eat crows in Victoria during the Victorian Gold Rush of the 1850's.)

Regards

J
At least you found out about that feature. To this day I had never heard about it until just now. I was never a big mapper though. I usually just screwed around with maps for my squad and I to play on. Good luck with your adventure though. Sounds like it could be fun.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:12 PM

he he !!! I'm to busy bending my banana's,
snap to grid is about all it's good, for hitching to bits of tunnels together, otherwise it's way to much control, I prefer to use the 3d wireframe view, lots of tricks with that
although many mappers who come from the Nile moan about not have a good 3d viewer
all the best
"M"
Old 12-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Sorry to rain on the parade lol, but LW is quite old and I doubt EE's tutorial would work on an older DF game way before BHD. Is there even an OED (that exports .3di files) for LW to begin with?

You probably could re-skin the .3dis though - which is basically duplicating the tunnel models, but editting the code inside them (known as hex editting) to point to a different texture.
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 12-17-2009, 08:06 PM

Aw, come on guys! I may be over 50, but to me these games are great, compared with the 8 bit console-type games that I grew up with. I know, I know, the graphics and sound are way better on the new games, and I agree. I've played DFX and was impressed not just by the detail but the fact you can control vehicles!! When you have grown up getting used to controlling a "bat" with the cursor keys, this DFX stuff is like magic!!

This "old dog" is gradually learning "new tricks" and am having fun doing just that.

I want to thank you guys for all the help you have provided and wish you all a great Xmas and an even better New Year.

Cheers

J

Live long and prosper.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:47 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
Quote:
Aw, come on guys! I may be over 50, but to me these games are great, compared with the 8 bit console-type games that I grew up with. I know, I know, the graphics and sound are way better on the new games, and I agree. I've played DFX and was impressed not just by the detail but the fact you can control vehicles!! When you have grown up getting used to controlling a "bat" with the cursor keys, this DFX stuff is like magic!!

This "old dog" is gradually learning "new tricks" and am having fun doing just that.

I want to thank you guys for all the help you have provided and wish you all a great Xmas and an even better New Year.

Cheers

J
I agreed. DF2 and LW are the best FPS games I've ever played.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:

Cheers

J
Nobody in this thread said these games sucked? I know I said LW was old, but I didn't mean it sucked - what I meant was compared to the games EE's tutorial was written for (BHD/JO+) and how it could be way different to that. And even if it did manage to work for LW, I haven't heard of a .3di exporter for LW.
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 12-18-2009, 01:34 PM

Now ain't that typical, no sooner than you get 2 Auzzies splashing in the pool along comes a ruddy KIWI who runs off with the 'bloody' bath plug???
'Cept it's our very own Chrispy suffering yet another bout of insecurity, at 5,161 posts should know better.
One way to see all this Nova stuff is that each 'new' game is really but an update of the previous one, unlike microsoft and their updates Nova has an aweful habit of removing the good stuff and replacing it with 'TRIALWARE'.
I thought the buildings were great in DFLW, but the tops for me was the ability to use and control the UAV, in real life those UAV's now are armed with air to ground missiles
but thats still a secret, since the release of DFLW the only real improvement has been in the game engine and all that voxel stuff.
But lets stay on post your question johnno, was how to make tunnels in LW, I simply recconmend BHD, whip up your art (tunnel) in max, save as .ase, convert to nova's 3di format in SOED, drop to game
Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Mermite,

Thanks for the advice on tunnels. Looks like I may have to save up a few dollars to get Max. After that, EE's tut will certainly come in handy.

Whilst on tunnels, I am trying to add non-stock sounds to DFLW. I have tried the Wave List and placed it in the event. Nothing. I can add the stock sounds by inserting them in the map, without a problem.

I am using a wav file, 8 bit mono (to keep the size down).

Any suggestions?

About kiwi's. I can see your point. But, I must tell you, I married one. I am a firm believer in the fact that there are three good things that come from New Zealand. Women, Horses and boat-loads of Australian tourists... chuckle... (sorry. LOL). We aussies love to stir up "the long white clouder's".

Regards

J

Live long and prosper.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Mermite, don't start. You have a reputation for being arrogant so don't...

* Original post editted - didn't read something right.

Last edited by Chrispy; 12-18-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Simplified :P
Old 12-18-2009, 05:53 PM
skinny killer is offline skinny killer
HappyGoLucky

Send a message via Yahoo to skinny killer
yeah you should practice what you preach mermite.

and don't mess with Chrispy, he and 50 cent will kick you from here to china. J/K
Old 12-18-2009, 06:25 PM

Hey guys,

I have a very small and short tunnel map that is work-in-progress.

Can I get one, some or all of you to check it out? Just to see if I am getting the "hang of it".

It's a SP DFLW map that requires no killing! It's a "search and destroy" without the "destroy". You guys will have seen and played better, but I need some honest criticism. (I have EXP etc loaded, but stuck to stock stuff)

How do I upload the BMS and MIS files? I will attempt to "attach" them to this post. (fingers crossed)

Regards

J

Sorry guys. Tried to attach the files and got the message "invalid file". I tried the upload with and without spaces in the filename....

Any suggestions? Not done this before.

ps: Forgot to mention that the map was inspired by the example in the DF:TFD M.E.M

Live long and prosper.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:17 PM

I don't have LW at this moment so unfortunately I can't test.

But, regarding the attachment - what type of file did you try upload? Try creating a .zip file, and then putting the map files into it and attaching.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:24 PM

Chrispy,

As per your instructions.

Regards

J
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mind Games.zip (3.8 KB, 3 views)

Live long and prosper.