Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:12 PM
OlderStreetrat is offline OlderStreetrat

A Question and Another Question

But first, a statement.

I have FINALLY managed to get 3ds Max, or better stated, finally figured out HOW to get it for free. So now I can build models and get them in game, I think.

First question: How can I take an extracted 3di model, convert it either to a .obj or other readable file for 3ds Max? I know it can be done, I just don't know HOW to do it.

Question number 2: Would it be worth it to completely reinvent this beloved game? By that, I mean, rebuild everything from the ground up and run it on the Unity 5 game engine.

I've piddled with Unreal4 and Unity is easier and, to me at least, more intuitive.

Granted, it would take a massive effort and several dedicated people to do something like this, but with all of today's innovations and easy access to groundbreaking technology, it wouldn't be near as difficult as it was when BHD first came out way back in the day.

Oh yeah, one more question. The Pack program will not work on my computer, I'm running Windows 10 64bit. Is there an updated version of Pack or PackIt out there somewhere?

Thanks for any help and feedback?

P.S.

I saw where Long is asking opinions on revamping the game, but I don't know if he's planning on building on the old Novalogic engine and tech or doing something like I suggested.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:58 PM
~BLÃÐE~ is offline ~BLÃÐE~

Send a message via ICQ to ~BLÃÐE~
Hi StreetRat, it's 2DNED here from NW.

Glad to see you got the 3Dmax sorted and downloaded.

First you need the PFF Editor to extract the 3di's
Now depending what you want to do?
- Reskin you need the 3di viewer/editor so you can see which textures are associated with the 3di. You would be best using some of the models from other mods as the work is already done.
- Totally New Model. You can make it in max, save as ASE file, import into the OED editor and save as a 3di.
- Existing models. JO-DFX2 models are compatible but if you want to use BHD 3di's you need to use the BHD2JO Tool assuming you want to build in DFX2.

You can use Unity3D Engine but why use nova stuff, unity has a better range of models to choose from, i would imagine just do a Standalone Game
You can Import unity models into 3dmax if they are .obj .fbx .max..
You would need resize and add collision boxes

For now best reading is a tutorial done by Eagle Eye
Read them all, try doing No.8 & 9 and you will be on your way with max.
http://www.dfreload.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2076
Old 02-08-2017, 07:40 PM

Hey Blade

Hey Blade, thanks for the advice! As far as using Unity goes, I was talking about a complete new game, not using any Novalogic stuff, everything built brand new from the ground up in either Blender or 3ds Max.

My idea was to center it around the conflict the world is having now with ISIS but built on the same principles and dedication as the original DF games.

I know there are some really smart folks here, you being one of 'em, as well as DFBarricks and other squads.

I dunno, it's just a thought. Might even be fun.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Hi, I think any discussion benefits from an opposing viewpoint, not that I'm against the idea, far from it.

The case for caution.

As far as I know the Unity engine just will not handle all of the attributes you'd need at this time.

There are some really good templates and prefabs out there but still, nobody seems to be able to match voxelspace for mapping the airspace and running all the other attributes needed so efficiently.

In fact many engines are reviewing and considering returning to voxel based solutions.

The fact that the rendering system in Unity seems vastly superior and that it's undergoing continual development all seems good but this can also cause many other issues in itself - so choosing a version and sticking with it is advisable but you can imagine the conundrums and angst this may add to the mix.

Top order games come close but heavy scripting, the huge meshes and textures and mostly limited playable areas leave a lot to be desired and a build could take many years, even with large teams.

So... If you aimed at a single aspect or controlled scenario (ground assault, aerial combat, tanks etc) you may have better luck with it but hoping to have it all with free access to vehicles air, land and sea, multiple weapons and classes, teleporting, Multi-Player etc etc?

Well I leave it here for you to ponder.

Good Luck -
Old 02-10-2017, 05:27 AM

Hey Stompem

It's true that the game engines an indie startup team would have reasonable access to would be somewhat limited in terms of total open world and full DF like game play, such as with vehicles and such.

However, if you think in terms of most TDM maps in DF games, they aren't open world, they're restricted to a certain space, pretty much the same for co-op. Single player is a little bit different unless you set kill boundaries for the player, which is something I usually did to keep the player on a somewhat focused path to the objective.

What I'm suggesting though wouldn't really be on par in terms of graphics as say, the Call of Duty series. It's true that it's be really nice to have life like graphics and such, but my main goal is to have a game similar to, or in the same lineage if you will, as the original DF games, just updated.

The plan I have in mind isn't to roll one massive game out at a certain date. The idea is a serial game of sorts, for two main reasons. One you've already stated, the other is to keep things fresh and the target consumer interested.

Remember how hyped we all were when Angel Falls was announced? And then, how disappointed we all were when it never developed? That's kinda what I'm going for.

As far as developing a MED, which I firmly believe is one of the main reasons DF games are so popular, along with Novalogics willingness to allow MODs, I" not sure how that would be done. I would have to leave it to much smarter people that myself.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:32 AM

Well referring to the multitude of licenses available - If you don't mind sharing you get it all when you use a big 3rd party IP - perhaps that's one solution cost-wise.

As for interest - the whole premise of most FPS games rest on attributes, not so much on story-line, unless it's epic so as you agreed you are kind of Archimedes there as far as a full DF style FPS goes.

Another point...

Just because a lot of maps are small doesn't mean we all like it.

Some small maps are very good but IMO most of them are just lazy efforts - a lot of players like to leave the scene etc, you need to cater to the impression of a realistic experience, dead zones and invisible walls make me walk. Once again IMO there has to be an explanation for that confinement.

As you can imagine you need a lot of room to manoeuvre a helicopter, let alone a squad or two of them battling on, it's just ROODOLFF KRAPP joyriding if it's all cramped and over populated ala BF3.

So after all this we are mostly left facing a big optimization compromise, all of the great ideas go out the door - it's no fun when that happens, it goes cold.

So knowing exactly the limitations and compromises ahead of time saves a wasted effort - I've seen it personally and everyone here has experienced it with Angel Falls.

Good Luck

Last edited by Guest001; 02-10-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:53 PM

Hmmm ....

All very good, and interesting points. Well, it was an idea lol Maybe one of these days when I get rich, or get rich off some little indie game I come up with and put on Steam, my dreams of a new DeltaForce will be realized. For now thought, I suppose I'll just stick with modding one.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:56 PM
~BLÃÐE~ is offline ~BLÃÐE~

Send a message via ICQ to ~BLÃÐE~
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
As for interest - the whole premise of most FPS games rest on attributes, not so much on story-line, unless it's epic so as you agreed you are kind of Archimedes there as far as a full DF style FPS goes.
Story line has to be strong to follow through...
Ok a little inside, there is a mod coming out for DFX2 it has a City Theme. Every building has been changed to look modern, modern police cars, phone boxes, traffic lights. It even has a subway system in it with working trains, ticket machines..Building you can walk up (10 story) and use every room.

We worked out many things of late with the engine, Novalogic run everything 1024px but in DFX2 you can run 4000 res, best going 2048px for everything though. I imagine due to the low power machines to run the game back in the day with low graphic cards and today PC's are so powerful it makes a difference.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BLÃÐE~ View Post
Story line has to be strong to follow through...
Ok a little inside, there is a mod coming out for DFX2 it has a City Theme. Every building has been changed to look modern, modern police cars, phone boxes, traffic lights. It even has a subway system in it with working trains, ticket machines..Building you can walk up (10 story) and use every room.

We worked out many things of late with the engine, Novalogic run everything 1024px but in DFX2 you can run 4000 res, best going 2048px for everything though. I imagine due to the low power machines to run the game back in the day with low graphic cards and today PC's are so powerful it makes a difference.
I did say Epic storyline so what one ya got? and "Yes" I've heard of it (the city mod) and I've seen it

Yes machines were weaker and many old engines can be opened up to take more (scalable) but it don't matter none with the huge demands from games now have cancelled any advantage out ----- so that's why they're now thinking of going back to voxels.

NOTE:
Screen resolution doesn't always fix it if it don't scale as well so what's the point there?

In all they (NL) have done it best and that's that.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BLÃÐE~ View Post
Where oh where is this Mod you speak of?
Old 02-11-2017, 08:34 AM

By the looks of it there's quite a few thing's going on Down Under...

latest update on CITY MOD DFX2

Urban operation 2.2 update