Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Post 98% of the world population can't solve this; can you?

Now we were having a big debate about time travel at school weeks and weeks ago, and about the black hole, etc. and blah blah. Being me and my teacher were the only people who really knew what e=mc² meant. For you guys who don't know, e stands for energy, m stands for mass, and describes a very high number; which represents the speed of light.

Then on the class computer, I managed to find something about Albert Einstein describing the e=mc² thing.

Then one of the girls in our class asked her teacher if he knew Einstein's Riddle (which he didn't know I don't think), which 98% of population could not solve.

Here it is:

1. There are five houses.
2. The Englishman lives in the red house.
3. The Spaniard owns the dog.
4. Coffee is drunk in the green house.
5. The Ukrainian drinks tea.
6. The green house is immediately to the right of the ivory house.
7. The Old Gold smoker owns snails.
8. Kools are smoked in the yellow house.
9. Milk is drunk in the middle house.
10. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
11. The man who smokes Chesterfields lives in the house next to the man with the fox.
12. Kools are smoked in the house next to the house where the horse is kept.
13. The Lucky Strike smoker drinks orange juice.
14. The Japanese smokes Parliaments.
15. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
16. Now, who drinks water? Who owns the zebra?

In the interest of clarity, it must be added that each of the five houses is painted a different color, and their inhabitants are of different national extractions, own different pets, drink different beverages and smoke different brands of American cigarettes. One other thing: In statement 6, right means your right.

Now I've seen the answers but I can't remember them and it doesn't mean I know how to figure it out either.

Please do not look at the answers on the Net and crap.

Do your best!

I suck...

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black

Last edited by Chrispy; 01-14-2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:44 AM
OG-Unrated is offline OG-Unrated

there's a special way of doing these. my math teacher made us do them all the time.

This is what I got:

1st House
Norwegian
Yellow House
Kools Smoker
Fox
Water

2nd House
Ukranian
Blue House
Chesterfields Smoker
Horse
Tea

3rd House
Englishman
Red House
Milk
Old Gold
Snails

4th House
Spaniard
Ivory House
Lucky Strike Smoker
Dog
Orange Juice

5th House
Japanese
Green House
Parliaments Smoker
Zebra
Coffee

I don't know how to check my answers. So even if I got them wrong/right I wouldn't know.

Last edited by OG-Unrated; 01-14-2007 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

Lol what the hell is the point of this? Does it tell you where the nukes are at or something?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:05 AM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

oh 1 of these 98% things, just like the 98% of teenagers have tried pot.. bs its like less than half lol
Old 01-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Capers is offline Capers

I think Einstein predicted at the time that 98% of people couldn't solve it - About 2 years ago in a tutorial class of about 15 of us were given a puzzle equivelant to the one you've given us and everyone completed it.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Lucky is offline Lucky

No, its just a internet trend that 98% of people will belive that 98% precent of Whatever does whatever. stupid people
Old 01-14-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OG-Unrated
there's a special way of doing these. my math teacher made us do them all the time.

This is what I got:

1st House
Norwegian
Yellow House
Kools Smoker
Fox
Water

2nd House
Ukranian
Blue House
Chesterfields Smoker
Horse
Tea

3rd House
Englishman
Red House
Milk
Old Gold
Snails

4th House
Spaniard
Ivory House
Lucky Strike Smoker
Dog
Orange Juice

5th House
Japanese
Green House
Parliaments Smoker
Zebra
Coffee

I don't know how to check my answers. So even if I got them wrong/right I wouldn't know.
Can you at least tell us how to do the ''strategy''?

BTW, this is not one of those crap things on the Net; this is the actual Einstein's Riddle.

And back in the day when Einstein was alive, there wouldn't be that sorta ''98% smoked pot'', etc.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 01-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Spazz is offline Spazz

Send a message via AIM to Spazz
98% of statistics are made up on the spot
Old 01-14-2007, 03:34 PM

answers down below.

Last edited by OG-Unrated; 01-14-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrispy
Can you at least tell us how to do the ''strategy''?

BTW, this is not one of those crap things on the Net; this is the actual Einstein's Riddle.

And back in the day when Einstein was alive, there wouldn't be that sorta ''98% smoked pot'', etc.

Chris
Yup. To start out you have to organize your facts. How you do this varies by person, it's supposedly easier if you set them up in charts. I only set it up like this to start. I didn't opt to solve this with a chart, so it's harder this way.

Let's take out the easy stuff first. With the 10th fact, we know that the Norwegian lives in the 1st House. From fact 15, we know that the Norwegian lives next to the blue house. Since the Norwegian lives in the first house, he only has one neighbor. That means that the 2nd house is blue. Also we know that milk is drunk in the first house from fact 9. So:

1st house
Norwegian

2nd House
Blue

3rd House
Milk

Now, because we know four of five of one-catergory of specifics (color, smokes, nationality, drink, pet), we should be able to deduce the color of the first house. We know from fact 15 that the Norwegian doesn't live in the blue house, nor is he the Englishman (fact 2) so his house isn't red, and we know from fact 6 that the green house is immediately to the right of the ivory house, so the first house can't be either as that isn't true. The only color left is yellow. From fact 8, we know that kools are smoked in the yellow house. We also know from fact 12, that the house adjacent to the kool-smoking house holds a horse. From fact 4 we know that coffee isn't the drink of choice for the yellow house, from fact 9 milk isn't either, from fact 5 the Ukrainian drinks tea so it can't be that either, and finally we know that the Norwegian smokes kools so from fact 13, we know he doesn't drink OJ. That means he drinks water. We have this:

1st house
Norwegian
Yellow
Kools
Water

2nd House
Blue
Horse

Third House
Milk

By implausibility, Lucky Strike and Parliaments can't be smoked in the second house because the facts contradict the information we already have. Old Gold can't be smoked here b/c fact 7 states that the Old Gold smoker will have snails. Thus, the only smokes left is chesterfields. We know that the norwegian can't live in the 2nd house from fact 10, since the 2nd house is blue, the englishman doesn't live there (fact 2). We know that the spaniard owns a dog from fact 3. We also know the Japanese smoke parliaments from fact 14 which means that he can't live in house 2 as chesterfields is smoked there. So, the ukrainian who drinks tea (fact 5) lives in house 2. Thus we have this:

1st House
Norwegian
Yellow
Kools
Water

2nd House
Ukrainian
Blue
Chesterfields
Tea
Horse

3rd House
Milk

The fox (fact 11) lives by the man who smokes chesterfields which is either the 1st or 3rd house. By implausibility and contradiction of facts we know that the fox can not be held in the 3rd house. Meaning the only last option is that the fox is kept in the 1st house. Now, we have to find out who smokes the Old Gold. Obviously the 4th and 5th houses drink OJ and Coffee, though we don't know the order yet. all we know is that the Old Gold Smoker can't possibly live in house that drinks coffee because it contradicts our given facts. thus, the only other house (because oj and coffee are in the 4th and 5th houses) that the Old Gold Smoker can live in is House 3. Because he is the old gold smoker from fact 7, he owns snails. Now we have:

1st House
Norwegian
Yellow
Kools
Water
Fox

2nd House
Ukrainian
Blue
Chesterfields
Tea
Horse

3rd House
Milk
Old Gold
Snails

Coffee is drunk in the green house which is to the right of the ivory house. The spaniard owns a dog, thus the spaniard can not live in house 3. Because the Japanese smokes Parliaments we know that the only person left to live in the third house is the englishman. Because he's the englishman, he lives in the red house, thus the third house is the red house. Because the green house is to the right of the ivory house, we know the fourth house is the ivory house. Because coffee is drunk in the green house, we know that the only drink left is orange juice and that is drunk in the fourth house. By default, the lucky strike smoker drinks OJ, thus the lucky strike smoker lives in the fourth house. Because lucky strike is smoked in the fourth house, the only smokes left is the parliaments which is smoked by the japanese. This also means that the spaniard owns the dog (from known fact) thus the Japanese owns the zebra.

1st House
Norwegian
Yellow
Kools
Water
Fox

2nd House
Ukrainian
Blue
Chesterfields
Tea
Horse

3rd House
Milk
Old Gold
Snails
red
Englishman

4th House
Ivory House
Spaniard
Dog
OJ
Lucky Strike

5th House
Green House
Japanese
Parliaments
Zebra
Coffee

That was sort of annoying, come to think of it. Anyways, there's a way you set up charts and instead of rewriting this information, all you do is check boxes and by doing that, it deduces who has what. yeahhhhh it definitely tells you where the nukes are. Yup. Amazing what stuff like this could tell you.

Oh as 4 the strategy question, you have to set each category in a chart. I can't explain this very well but, you set up a boxed chart in which all possibilities coincide w/ each other. then you go along, checking off all of the facts. The chart is supposed to keep track of what is and what isn't. It's just a chart basically. The logic strategy is to always do the "what if" scenario. And by impossibility (b/c facts conflict with each other), you find out the real solutions.

Last edited by OG-Unrated; 01-14-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:49 PM

Whoa GJ!

The first clue I got right was #9 Imao. Again, GJ.

And BTW, at school, we did it on Charts.

Chris
Old 01-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

98% of me says that this is pointless! The other 2% is slightly agreeing. jokes
Old 01-14-2007, 07:51 PM

Yeah charts were always easier in math but I'm not fond of using them.