Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Important The Folders you cannot create in Windows

This is nuts....not my fault something went wrong with the posting. "M" had the same problem before, now I see you can correct it by drawing circles on the ceiling and running around the room...SRY

[QUOTE][B]Nobody can create a FOLDER anywhere on the computer which can be named as
Quote:

Nobody can create a FOLDER anywhere on the computer which can be named as “CON”.
This is something pretty cool…and unbelievable… At Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn’t answer why this happened at first!
TRY IT NOW !!
In MS-DOS, several special “device files” were available to aid in performing certain tasks, such as clearing the screen or deleting extraneous output from a program. In order to maintain backwards-compatibility, all versions of Windows up to and including Windows 7 will refuse to allow you to create a file with these “reserved” device file names. The following file names are reserved:

CON
CON, incidentally, was a device file used to capture whatever was printed onscreen.

let me tell you a small secret you can’t even create a folder named PRN, AUX, NUL and many others like..

PRN
AUX
NUL
COM1
COM2
COM3
COM4
COM5
COM6
COM7
COM8
COM9
LPT1
LPT2
LPT3
LPT4
LPT5
LPT6
LPT7
LPT8
LPT9

If you try creating a folder with any of these names, the name automatically changes back to the default “New Folder”. And this is what has caused the confusion. Instead of automatically renaming the folder, had an explanatory warning message popped up.

Quote:
You can actually create a folder named CON !!
There is actually a way to create a folder named CON, or any other name from the above list of reserved keywords. This can be done through command prompt. But it is advisable not to do so, as it might result in your system becoming unstable.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:49 AM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
Well, I'm not going to make a new folder named CON solely because I can.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:44 AM
Swifty Helen is offline Swifty Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by --BulletMagnet-- View Post
Hacked system? I can't do it, I don't have permission like it said.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:42 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Yeah most systems and operatingsystems and so on have reserved words you can't use biside for their intended use

My photography website

Old 07-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by --BulletMagnet-- View Post
Excuse Me? Are you following this to be negative? I posted a quote from an article, not my words and I wouldn't know if it's true or not, just lighten up a bit please
Old 07-15-2012, 06:30 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Send a message via Yahoo to dave61
Lol, Stomp !!!

My computer is mad enough at me now !!!

I'm afraid to make it even more angry than it is at me now !!

It scares me !!!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:51 PM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
Excuse Me? Are you following this to be negative? I posted a quote from an article, not my words and I wouldn't know if it's true or not, just lighten up a bit please
Of course not, my newly found NovaHQ friend.

I was simply stating that I had no need to make a new folder named CON. I do remember encountering that problem on a Windows' Easter Eggs article once. Just like the "Bush hid the facts" thing in Notepad. I enjoy the Easter Eggs, but it's too bad there's always an explanation.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61 View Post
Lol, Stomp !!!

My computer is mad enough at me now !!!

I'm afraid to make it even more angry than it is at me now !!

It scares me !!!
PM me Dave and we'll see if we can operate by wire. My latest woe was a windows7 x86 bug that slowly takes over your system with Padlocks, nothing helpful on the web and Microsoft is mum about it, worth many many millions for their IT services branch I guess... figured out a brilliant solution that has given me back my PC and it's more stable and less annoying than ever. The bug hasn't got a chance of returning.

@BulletMagnet
OK bud NP
Quote:
I had no need to make a new folder named CON
neither do I

Last edited by Guest001; 07-16-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 AM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Quote:
PM me Dave and we'll see if we can operate by wire. My latest woe was a windows7 x86 bug that slowly takes over your system with Padlocks, nothing helpful on the web and Microsoft is mum about it, worth many many millions for their IT services branch I guess... figured out a brilliant solution that has given me back my PC and it's more stable and less annoying than ever. The bug hasn't got a chance of returning.
I've lately been backing up all my files and am considering an bi-annual system recovery.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:41 AM

Do you use any of the following 3rd party software types and if yes how regularly if at all?
Registry Inspection
De-fragmentation
Contiguous File ordering (optimization)
Free space write "0" binary (remove embedded file traces in drive free space)
Uninstallers
Stand-Alone software (*TIP* Run software without installers - I can show you a simple way to get a great majority of utilities, games and multimedia software to do so)
Old 07-16-2012, 06:53 AM

A great majority of registry entries invole file association extension references and Non user software creator stuff and url directives not required to actually run the software
Some of The main ones Needed if at all are
Contextmenu handlers usually not specifically needed
AppPath AppDir (native)
AppDataPath AppDataDir (native)
AppExecPath InstallDir (native)
CDKID (or CDKIID. NLogic uses this descriptor but there are many types - this is up to the vendor)

Last edited by Guest001; 07-16-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:56 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Quote:
Do you use any of the following 3rd party software types and if yes how regularly if at all?
Registry Inspection
De-fragmentation
Contiguous File ordering (optimization)
Free space write "0" binary (remove embedded file traces in drive free space)
Uninstallers
Stand-Alone software (*TIP* Run software without installers - I can show you a simple way to get a great majority of utilities, games and multimedia software to do so)
I let NORTONs 360 handle all my virus, defrag , temp file (etc) cleanup deletion, and my Registry cleanup. NORTON 360 runs those operations during my computers idle times.

I rarly uninstall a program without using that programs uninstall procedures.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Don’t run registry cleaner programs, period. I won’t go so far as to call them snake oil, but what possible performance benefits can you get from “cleaning up” unneeded registry entries and eliminating a few stray DLL files? Even in the best-case scenario the impact should be trivial at best. Maybe a second or two here and there, maybe a few kilobytes of freed-up RAM, and I’m being generous. How can you balance those against the risk that the utility will “clean” (in other words, delete) something you really need, causing a program or feature to fail?
Consider examining the list of entries to be removed and only allow removal of empty folders and non existing files if they are in the folder the program was installed
and that program no longer exists.
Removal of shared dll's by the programs installer can occur. Use a 3rd party uninstaller at all times. This will detect registry entries and dll's that may be shared by other programs or the Windows system.

More to follow when I digest your response to this post...proceeding slowly

Another source of info on registry cleaning

Last edited by Guest001; 07-17-2012 at 01:04 AM.