Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
yahoo maybe no more if thing keep going down hill

seem Microsoft and google trying to buy Yahoo out totally.

if Microsoft get their hands on Yahoo it be wipe out totally and lay off of people from Yahoo.

they will give some option package to employee's leave yahoo and other engineer may keep

Yahoo is on shacking ground way their stocks are going.

right now Microsoft out bet Google right now.

read more follow this link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22947626/

with Microsoft search engine added with Yahoo search engine it would cover like 16% ads around the world.

will i was never of a fan of yahoo. still nice to think they did their best or try to.

i like their Tv Ads not seen any in a long time maybe that is what kill them to draw people to them, been like 4yrs no ads on the Tv how great Yahoo is or fun to enjoy maybe if they bring that spirit back people would go after them more.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 02-02-2008, 12:17 AM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
I never liked yahoo.

Google has been the best from the get go due to their nice clean webpage.

Don't want to see all of that stuff on the page just to do a search.

Plus Google has always given me better search results.

Going to be interesting to see who wins out - and if the justice department allows it to happen.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:12 AM
Xx_jet_xX is offline Xx_jet_xX

Send a message via Yahoo to Xx_jet_xX
I worked for a company that was merged with one, then within a year purchased from another, and there were no layoffs. layoffs come if the company doesn't produce a profit, or it is merged with another under the parent company. i don't see any layoffs outside upper management within Yahoo.

Yahoo has a bloated webpage because it was one of the first major portals out there(competing with Excite.com). Google is a search website, yahoo is a Portal. You make Yahoo or MSN your homepage, Google a favorite, you get news, weather, stocks, and much more content with a portal but with Google you get...ummm a search bar and some links to more. usually with portals you can customize to show what you are interested in. with Google you can have Adsense, Put its search engine on your site, Use there programs like Google Earth.... A portal it is not.

My prediction if its purchased....
Both MSN and Yahoo offer the same things, both have an I'M, both show news, stocks, weather, entertainment, etc etc. but after being purchased Yahoo's services will start to change direction and not be competitive to MSN, just look like Yahoo's current theme. the search engine will merge into one under one name or remain separately named but the engine will be a merge of both Yahoo's code and MS code. There will be an ad for MSN(Powered by MSN) or ad's for Microsoft products on the portal, Reviews of tech or news about MS will have little or no negative reports about MS on Yahoo(just like MSN today). Reviews of MS competitors will be all negative or boring nothing new but a facelift reports.

That prediction is really typical of competing companies purchasing one or the other to compete with a much larger company. and the purchase of Yahoo by MS may not really be a bad thing. hell it may be a good thing for us using the free services to have the 2 minor players merge into 1 and offer more, forcing the search giant to offer more and better to keeps it's market share. before Google had to compete against 2 separate portals/search engines. once all the code is merged and we can get the best of both in whatever flavor(the way it looks) we prefer, then Google just needs to work its code around one code, less work for Google so more time to do improvements and more add ons. in other words ignore Yahoo altogether.

*edit
"Going to be interesting to see who wins out - and if the justice department allows it to happen."

It wont make a monopoly, so the JD wont get involved. If MS was buying Google, or Google buying Yahoo it may get interested though. Anyway everything Google and Yahoo offers is free of charge except advertising. thats the revenue.

WTF-Squad

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. -George Carlin

Last edited by Xx_jet_xX; 02-02-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:12 AM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
I heard on the news that the justice department is going to review the deal to see if it violates anti-trust issues... wether or not they act upon it, only they know.

and google does have a "portal" to compete with yahoo now lol, iGoogle.

I checked yahoo out last night after posting that and it does look cleaner then what it used to.

We'll see
Old 02-02-2008, 10:38 AM
ShArP is offline ShArP

Send a message via ICQ to ShArP Send a message via AIM to ShArP Send a message via MSN to ShArP
wow, if this does come through could that mean a possibly no more email accounts for yahoo?

Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
doubt it, isn't yahoo the most visited website on the whole internet?? MS would NEVER get rid of the Yahoo brand.

edit, to backup my statement:

http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_500

and almost 50% of hits from pl checking their email.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:13 PM

Lots of advertising profit, wich is what MS is after...

WTF-Squad

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. -George Carlin
Old 02-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

i dont think MS are doing it just for advertising profit, it's way bigger than that, well for a start its gonna cost 'em $50 billion, it's going to take a long time to make that much back in advertising profit... if ever.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Matt is offline Matt

Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Matt
if anyone doesnt need to advertise its microsoft lol

Click here for the official member status images!

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
For your sence of free speech, we will control how much you have here .
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
fak i clicked it to lol.

the message "this will disable it" should have been put before

sorry
Old 02-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

Microsoft is doing it to try to combat the growing dominance of google...
Old 02-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Chief ADFP

think of all them copy rights that yahoo is seating on not doing a thing with, maybe MS can do something with them copy right items now
Old 02-02-2008, 11:02 PM

MS is looking at advertising as a source of revenue, what does Google or Yahoo have to offer for a pay to use service/program? ummm yep nothing, name something that you purchased developed and supported by Google or Yahoo?. everything they do is ad profit alone yet the 2 companies are thriving, even puting the pay for the OS/Office giant MS in its place in the world of Internet where free is king as far as users are concerned.

I believe by 2010 we will have a version of MS Office available free to download and use yet have to look at a banner ad on the top or bottom of the page. problem is it will be great for home users but severly useless for business.

And Will you are correct, Yahoo is one of the founders of the web portal/search engine. they have been holding copyrights and even patents for over 10 years now. doing nothing with many. lets see if MS can do something with them and see what Google does back!

WTF-Squad

Old 02-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Xx_jet_xX
what does Google or Yahoo have to offer for a pay to use service/program? ummm yep nothing,
never used Yahoo so i dont really know but the first thing i clicked on the yahoo website was yahoo music: Yahoo! Music Unlimited is a subscription music service with over 2 million songs you can enjoy at a very low price.

that's not free or advertising afaik.

just looking around, yahoo seeems to be a reseller for practically anything, cars, houses, clothes, computers, tvs, hifi etc etc, not really advertising.

what about their domain and hosting packages, they certainly aint cheap.

of course they make a stack of money from advertising, but to think MS is buying Yahoo simply because of advertising revenue is simply not the case IMO.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:18 PM

No its not the only reason, but from many news reports MS is working on getting inthe AD revenues and services based on ads these have been floating around well before the report of MS buying Yahoo.. Buying Yahoo boosts that as well as they get the Yahoo name.

You can get a free website from Yahoo, or atleast you could. It's the free ad based stuff that the vast majority of users use. this puts the company name in more mouth to mouth advertising. some of those people that use the free stuff will decide to use one of the paid services. example would be someone saying "google it". thats what they want.

Google and Yahoo give away their services while MS its almost all pay to use. thats why MS started MSN, MSN messenger, and their free email. to get into that market. so far with less success than Google or Yahoo. and what better way to get ahead but to buy out a competitor.

WTF-Squad

Old 02-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Chief ADFP

will there was some good side to this

From: "Lake City reporter" local sunday news paper todays

will some what good, still in the black if you ask me