Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:14 AM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

any electronics experimenters out there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F34RgY83Gq8

this is one of my many projects that im playing with now. this is a circuit based on the "Joule Thief" circuit. i say based as i have done a few modifications of my own and made it better. even though some people have been able to get their system to run on as little as 2uA, the thing would only do a low speed pulse with a single LED that was not very useful.. sure it would pulse the LED on as little as 2uA, but that was all it could do. the one im playing with will give useful light on as little as 800uA, (or at least enough light to beat dark).

the video above is the latest of my circuits running on a capacitor.. it will run for a good long while off just the capacitor. the power sources i can use are unlimited with the voltage requirements for the circuit to run. if i can get at least .5Vdc and 1mA of useful current then i can light the LEDs. there are 15 of them in parallel. each LED would require around 3Vdc and 20mA to light normally. all in parallel that comes to around 300mA if i run them off a battery directly.. using this system i can run them off a single D-Cell battery with 15,000mAh capacity for approximately 18,750 hours (721 days or 2.14 years), provided my math is correct at 800uA draw. even if i turn it up to maximum of 5mA draw off the batteries the D-Cell would still last for 3,000 hours continuously. in theory that is.. as for the light output. i have to drop a box over the LEDs at night or i cannot sleep because if the light. so it is very useful.

but im about to start a run time test to see exactly how long it will run off of a single D-Cell.. but that has always been the big problem with the old Tesla and other energy scavenging systems that would draw power from the ambient energy fields. the power was always too low to do anything with. this circuit here will run on "earth batteries" quite happily. in fact i actually fried an electric clock using the planet a little while back. i am probably the only person alive who can say they fried a clock with the planet.

but here is the circuit that im using...
this is an older circuit i built that did well. the new one i stepped up to a 100k potentiometer and there will be 100 turns of 0.018in copper wire on the toroid core.

just a look into the laboratory of a mad scientist..
Old 07-13-2018, 08:31 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

So you're going to try and run that thing for 125+ days straight off a single d-cell battery?

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 07-13-2018, 06:53 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Hi I'm just curious not a scientist...

RE Earth voltages - Is there any way to control step without copper coils?
Old 07-13-2018, 06:58 PM

i was going to, that is until i rearranged the circuit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRuugLwtQyU i dropped the silicon transistor and went with a 50yr old germanium Motorola transistor.

now it will run on the heat of my hand. it will start oscillating at around 25mV now, almost too low for my meter to pick up. starting current draw is around 170uA..... 15,000mAh D-Cell battery on that low a draw... time to build some energy scavenging circuits to power it with.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
Hi I'm just curious not a scientist...

RE Earth voltages - Is there any way to control step without copper coils?
if using the telluric currents you would have to make a regulator or something. this is especially true if using it during a solar maximum. during increased solar activity the ground currents will get stronger and will spike with the occurrence of a CME (coronal mass ejection) that bombards the earths crust with high energy waves. standard earth batteries on the other hand are not as hampered as the plates are closer together. (plates about a foot apart for a standard earth battery Vs several hundred feet+ for telluric scavenging)..
Old 07-15-2018, 12:45 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauser 98K View Post
if using the telluric currents you would have to make a regulator or something. this is especially true if using it during a solar maximum. during increased solar activity the ground currents will get stronger and will spike with the occurrence of a CME (coronal mass ejection) that bombards the earths crust with high energy waves. standard earth batteries on the other hand are not as hampered as the plates are closer together. (plates about a foot apart for a standard earth battery Vs several hundred feet+ for telluric scavenging)..
OK, that's good stuff I like what I'm hearing.
I'm leading up to something but I need more info just for now.

So my next question "if you don't mind" is what about massive structures like the Eiffel Tower or even Mt. Everest?

RE - is there a discernible "useful?" potential difference between top and bottom, if so is it due to distance from Earth's core, surface or object apex?

Would 2 or 3 gradients imply oscillation?