Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Navigator is offline Navigator

Adding your Text to DFX2

So how did I make those voice overs in the those two great series of maps (The OutPost and Operation GroundZero X), well here it is:

The voices are free, by using AT&T Labs Natural Voices® Text-to-Speech Demo online. http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

Just need a recorder like Total Recorder, free version, to capture the Media Player output, as it plays on your system.
A typical 3-line text that fits in the message box on your DFX2 screen takes about 15 seconds to speak. Your sound clips are therefore usually no longer then 15 seconds typically and Total Recorder inserts a Total Recorder BEEP after each 60 seconds, so you avoid that ;-). With Total Recorder, increase your recording Level gain to +15db, so it can be heard when played in DFX2.
Set the Audio Recording Source to Software (this will record from Windows Media Player or maybe Real Player)
Set the Audio Recording Format to Format: PCM and Attributes: 8000 Hz, 8 Bit, Mono. The wav files will remain quite small.

When writing your text, you'll find certain words need to be phonetically written, like helo = heelo. Also avoid certain restricted wording, like Skinny Killer became Skinny K.

The voices I used are Crystal for command center, Mike for your player and Rich for HQ. Experiment and sometimes you may have to use a lead in word to get it right. For example, starting a sentence with "Dave...", may sound squeaky, where starting with "Well Dave..." sounds better. Commas and periods help to smooth out the sentence.

To record I have all 3 up at once, Total Recorder, Media Player and the ATT website. Click the Total Recorder record button, then click the ATT start button. When the speaking stops, then click the Total Recorder stop button. This gives minimal dead time in the recording. ALWAYS start a new recording as New, or else your wav file size will get big fast, as it doesn’t clean-up the space used by the previous recording. I name each file by the first 3 words of the text, for easy reference.

PS: Make sure what you speak has value in telling the story or directing your player.

PSS: Unfortunately about 2 dozen+ wav files will bring you to max limit on your upload zip, causing you to drop the .mis file. AND downsize your .pcx file to gain space.

Enjoy.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
MCMLXIV & Spinn is offline MCMLXIV & Spinn

I'm on it!

I'll be using it for my next mission. I need a Hal kind of computer voice. This should be just the ticket.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Navigator is offline Navigator

In the surprise ending of "The OutPost v4" where you play tic tac toe with the Alien force 1500 feet up, where you parachuted to their platform, for world domination with the missile launchers in a tribute to the classic scene from War Games playing Global Thermo Nuclear War, I used a computer voice, but it wasn't from AT&T and it was hard to find a clear one, but it worked well.
I think many folks gave up before the end of that map, because no one commented on it, and missed a truly spectacular story book ending.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:23 AM
MCMLXIV & Spinn is offline MCMLXIV & Spinn

I'll have another look at that today then. ;-)