Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:39 AM
johnno56 is offline johnno56

DF:TFD Teleporting

Can someone please explain why one can teleport out of a tunnel, but not back into a tunnel.

Reason: I was working on a tunnel map and created a teleport target above ground. Worked fine. I then created a teleport target at x,y with a z of -8. The teleport sort of worked. It relocated the player to the correct x,y but placed the player at ground level (z=0).

Am I doing something wrong or is it a problem with TFD?

Regards

J

May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:13 AM
peregrine falcon is offline peregrine falcon

Placing spawns or teleporting players below ground I think cause this because the codding within the game to keep players from getting glitched and stuck below ground.

I have found ways around this which some don't always work.

1. place tunnels on or above ground(works if map is tunnels or tunnels with confined spaces connected to tunnels)

2. Rotate a tunnel section 90 degrees connect it to an corner rotated 90 degrees connect this to your tunnels and make sure the open end reaches the surface(you may want to block off and camouflage this area to keep players from falling into it.)this way when teleported to the ground the player will actually fall into tunnel.

3. Place start markers in separate groups other than default(3 or higher) with each spawn marker having its own group. Also give each teleport target its own group which can match spawn markers group number. Logically this is flawed I think it may work some of the time because it confuses(for lack of a better term) the game. It may also cause SYS.DUMPs

Last edited by peregrine falcon; 12-16-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: whole reply doesnt show up
Old 12-16-2010, 10:16 AM

the post would truncate at the ascii degree sybol

Last edited by peregrine falcon; 12-16-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: whole reply doesn't show up
Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 AM

same as above

Last edited by peregrine falcon; 12-16-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: same as above
Old 12-16-2010, 03:39 PM

Peregrine Falcon,

Firstly, thank you for replying so quickly.

If I understand you correctly, in point #1, you are suggesting a "floating" tunnel system? Interesting. I am sure that this is not what a tunnel is designed to do. But, what the hay, it's good to think outside the box.

I am trying to create a "tunnel only" map, and if your idea works, it will solve any annoying problem. I will try it and let you know. If I get it to work, I will post a test map. (my mapping skills, and I use the term "skills" VERY loosely, are far from average. I dream of average.)

Thanks for the assist.

Regards

J

Live long and prosper.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:47 PM

Peregrine Falcon,

Attempted elevated tunnel system. I found that I could only teleport into the tunnel system by "walking" and not the standard running.

Fixed that by placing the tunnel system at ground level, as per your suggestion, and it worked fine.

The tunnel system has a blink group of 1 and was therefore invisible at the start of the game. Placed an object to walk towards and the area trigger and teleport worked as coded.

The map is a simple maze (at the moment) with one objective then exfil. I am planning teleports throughout the maze (in tunnel sections that lead to dead-ends). I think this may lead to a frustrating map. So I will limit the number of teleporters.

I think all objects are stock DF:TFD. Please remember I am not a very good mapper and would appreciate any criticism or help.

Both mis and bms (zipped) will be attached. (I hope)

Regards

J
Attached Files
File Type: zip maze2.zip (3.7 KB, 3 views)

Live long and prosper.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:07 AM

I haven't had TFD installed in 4-6 years I tried to install it about two years ago and the disk is bad or scratched.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:45 AM

Oh well. Not to worry.

With the tunnel system at ground level, I still could not teleport within the tunnel. I had to teleport out then teleport in. Too labour intensive. Decided to scrap the tunnel and work within a maze constructed of wooden walls.

Which DF do you have installed? I have DFX and DFX2 floating around somewhere. Maybe I can try the tunnel teleport with one of those?

Just a tip for scratched discs. If the metalic layer, beneath the cd label, is scratched, then I am afraid you are toast. If the acrylic layer is scratch, then you can use toothpaste to polish it. Make sure that the disc is moist, apply a small blob of toothpaste on the finger, and using circular motions, rub it onto the disc. Repeat as many times as needed. About 50% of cd's can be rescued this way. Hope this helps.

Regards

J

ps: Many thanks for the assist. Be warned. I may end up pestering you guys again, before too long.

Live long and prosper.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:37 PM

Wow i just realized how long its been since Ive checked forums sorry it took so long to reply.

I have DF2 DFLW BHD BHDTS JOTR DFX installed but I deleted all the shortcut to all but DFBHD since that's the only one I play anymore and played it probably less than 10 times in last 2 months.

In BHD you can teleport host but probably not to below ground.

I just checked the disk and don't see any bad scratches may just have a corrupt file on it, but I noticed I do have a TFD still wrapped in plastic. If memory serves me a friend gave it to me I think about 1 1/2 years ago.

If I get in a nostalgic mood I might install it.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 PM
MERMITE is offline MERMITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno56 View Post
Peregrine Falcon,

Attempted elevated tunnel system. I found that I could only teleport into the tunnel system by "walking" and not the standard running.

Fixed that by placing the tunnel system at ground level, as per your suggestion, and it worked fine.

The tunnel system has a blink group of 1 and was therefore invisible at the start of the game. Placed an object to walk towards and the area trigger and teleport worked as coded.

The map is a simple maze (at the moment) with one objective then exfil. I am planning teleports throughout the maze (in tunnel sections that lead to dead-ends). I think this may lead to a frustrating map. So I will limit the number of teleporters.

I think all objects are stock DF:TFD. Please remember I am not a very good mapper and would appreciate any criticism or help.
Both mis and bms (zipped) will be attached. (I hope)
Regards
J
------------------------------------------------------------
You gotta see it as a movie and you the DIRECTOR, we the long suffering audience...lol

Rule

1:/ ENSURE ALL ITEMS OTHER THAN START PLAYER ARE NOT BLUE....easy?

2:/ If 90 -100% of the map is in a tunnel, the tunnel can be ANYWHERE, so movie ALL items to 100 feet and the tunnel it self, set day to 02.00 in the morn.

3:/ Build ya map as you intended, just teleport player in and out, possible to teleport reds about, not into respawn myself

4:/ Encourage thinking "OUTSIDE THE BOX"

"M"