Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Gaming Talk

Gaming Talk Post all your game related stuff here. This includes PC, Console, Handhelds etc.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Sybell is offline Sybell

Your advice please

We have been playing Delta Force Extreme (DFX) in a corporate LAN environment since about 2006. We really have enjoyed the multiplayer functionality and had at one point even wrote our own maps. We like the ability on some of the default maps like the Oil Panic TKH map to fly helicopters and other vehicles.

In recent years and especially recently we are running into more and more issues with Novalogic's servers being down for maintenance and getting issues with players being dropped, "verifying session", inability to connect to Novalogic servers etc. It has become a real headache. All of our PC's exceed requirements and our Firewall and Network have been ruled out as the problem.

My question is what newer Novalogic game would you recommend us migrate to if we enjoyed DFX? I would rather ask you as a community than rely on Amazon.com customer reviews.

I did notice on Amazon that Black Hawk Down got a whole lot better reviews than DFX2.

Can you advise me what would be the best fit considering we always play TKH and really like the ability to control vehicles but need better reliability with Novalogic? BHD? Joint Ops?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

I assume (not assert) that it's always best to acquire the latest release of any game.

As for it being "better" is an issue we all know is decided by personal preferences and the implementation of the game itself and that can only be resolved by trying it out yourself.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:28 PM

Here's one of my DFX2 maps, it may help you decide.... I personally love the game.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Sybell is offline Sybell

Stompem,,
Thank you for the prompt reply. "As for it being "better" is an issue we all know is decided by personal preferences and the implementation of the game itself and that can only be resolved by trying it out yourself"---I appreciate what you are saying, but I need to purchase like 10 copies of a game to try it internally. That is one reason I am asking for opinions before making the investment. Being as you are an avid fan of DFX2, can you please answer the following:

What improvements are made in DFX2 over DFX?
Are there flyable helicopters and other vehicles?
What other weapons are available over DFX?
Do you have any issues with Novalogic servers being down and connectivity issues? This is one of the biggest disappointments. It seems as Novalogic has no interest whatever in fixing these issues that have been dragging on for literally years.
How many TKH stock maps are there in multiplayer? I read something somewhere that there is only like three maps?
Old 02-13-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Do you have any issues with Novalogic servers being down and connectivity issues? This is one of the biggest disappointments. It seems as Novalogic has no interest whatever in fixing these issues that have been dragging on for literally years.
Well it's not the game itself when it comes down to issues like that.

I've had far less interruptions than DFX or JO though, they seem to get wobbly more frequently but DFX2 is not totally immune to outages but it probably has a higher priority as far as it's the latest release.

DFX2 basically has more of everything.

It makes beautiful maps.

IMO it has better weapons, as in sighting and accuracy.

The default weapon "view in view" cross-hair scope is replaced by a fully in view, translucent laser reticule.

You need to buddy up and have a driver and gunner to operate the tanks effectively which is a bit more realistic. (Am I mixed up with JO?)

As I have said in the past some may not like some of the changes in game-play but it's easy to get used to.

Helo's and other vehicles are also available but nothing changed much there.

Last edited by Guest001; 02-13-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:56 PM

Old 02-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Sybell is offline Sybell

Stompem thanks very much for your reply. I ordered 8 copies today. Looking forward to trying it out on our LAN. DFX has been a very effective, inexpensive team building tool at the Company.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybell View Post
Stompem thanks very much for your reply. I ordered 8 copies today. Looking forward to trying it out on our LAN. DFX has been a very effective, inexpensive team building tool at the Company.
Great news, I hope you really enjoy it.

Don't forget that you can download more DFX2 Maps here...

http://www.novahq.net/?show=maps&cmd=view_maps&game=dfx2
Old 02-16-2014, 05:57 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Have they made so that you're forced to connect to Novaworld even on LAN? Have only played sp and mp on internet

My photography website

Old 02-16-2014, 09:09 PM

Depends on the games, with DFX2, I know the Lobby is necessary to access the LAN.

Some of the older games have a stand alone server app (C4lan.exe and dfbhdlc.exe for example)

Other NL games like JO will run a LAN without having to go to the LOBBY or use the apps.

Most games in general can be configured for LAN play by scripting their INI, HTM or CFG configuration files.

Many of them have their server configuration instructions available in a TXT or PDF file in the main game folder or on their user forums.

Creation of your own server is not always easy, although according to users on the NW2 forum during the recent extended outage, JO was being played over the Tunngle LAN

Last edited by Guest001; 02-17-2014 at 03:43 AM.