Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Gaming Talk

Gaming Talk Post all your game related stuff here. This includes PC, Console, Handhelds etc.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:50 AM
black hawk is offline black hawk

A thing about steam.

Well it's been some time, since I last logged in. Internet is a problem in my area. Nevertheless, my problem is that I don't know much about steam except it is a place/website where I could buy games at a good discount or I could play some free games. What I wanted to know is whether it supports LAN gaming or you know something like Tunngle supports. Does it host some servers for online games (except those free ones)? If yes, then for which games.(older games between 2005 to 2009 would be more preferred.)
Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
Steam is an application run off of your desktop. After starting it and logging in you have the 'store' tab and 'library' tab.

90% of PC games (All of Novalogic's catalog, too) are in the store. Every week there's a midweek madness sale on a certain game series, almost every weekend there's a weekend madness sale on another series, and every day there's a sale on a single indie game.

In the library is where you see all of your purchased games show up, if you prefer not to need the steam window open to browse your games you can create shortcuts to the desktop just like normal CD games.

Yes it supports LAN, you can log in in offline mode. No, the servers and server browsing are specific to the games, not steam itself, all the games have a community that host servers anyway.

To see all the free-to-play games go to www.steampowered.com and in the genre tab, free-to-play is its own genre.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Send a message via Yahoo to dave61
Just my opinion, but some may like Steam but to me if I could run some games without it I would.

For example I can't seperate my Call of duty:MW3 shortcut from Steam (sorry Mstenger404 ... it doesn't work for me). So I'm forced to launch that game from within Steam. I have tried several ways to create the Call of duty:MW3 shortcut on my desktop, but so far have had no luck .

Also, I've had to delay Steam in my computer startup because it uses quite a bit of resourses .

I guess one good thing about Steam would be the Steam cloud that stores my game stats & friends list.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Dashie is offline Dashie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61 View Post
Just my opinion, but some may like Steam but to me if I could run some games without it I would.

For example I can't seperate my Call of duty:MW3 shortcut from Steam (sorry Mstenger404 ... it doesn't work for me). So I'm forced to launch that game from within Steam. I have tried several ways to create the Call of duty:MW3 shortcut on my desktop, but so far have had no luck .

Also, I've had to delay Steam in my computer startup because it uses quite a bit of resourses .

I guess one good thing about Steam would be the Steam cloud that stores my game stats & friends list.
Plus I really don't like the idea of not physically owning my games. I've been lazy and bought Steam games I didn't want to wait a week for, but I kind of wish I just got the physical copies.

For example, what happens if Steam goes bankrupt?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashie View Post
Plus I really don't like the idea of not physically owning my games. I've been lazy and bought Steam games I didn't want to wait a week for, but I kind of wish I just got the physical copies.

"what happens if Steam goes bankrupt?"
One hope would be...
There are still a lot of viable games on Steam that would need to be patched over if another company stepped in and negotiated for the the rights to distribute a lot of the games that are still active online.

Quote:

I don't know about COD but if you go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common you may find the game there and locate the executable, make the desktop shortcut as usual. Go to MSCONFIG and disable Steam Auto startup then when you start the game steam will still have to start but it will be on demand and not at Windows Login. After you start a steam linked game this way any other steam games similarly treated will start quickly from the Desktop
PS I can run DFX2 without Steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by black hawk View Post
Well it's been some time, since I last logged in. Internet is a problem in my area. Nevertheless, my problem is that I don't know much about steam except it is a place/website where I could buy games at a good discount or I could play some free games. What I wanted to know is whether it supports LAN gaming or you know something like Tunngle supports. Does it host some servers for online games (except those free ones)? If yes, then for which games.(older games between 2005 to 2009 would be more preferred.)
(older games between 2005 to 2009 would be more preferred.)

Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 PM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstenger404 View Post
Steam is an application run off of your desktop. After starting it and logging in you have the 'store' tab and 'library' tab.

90% of PC games (All of Novalogic's catalog, too) are in the store. Every week there's a midweek madness sale on a certain game series, almost every weekend there's a weekend madness sale on another series, and every day there's a sale on a single indie game.

In the library is where you see all of your purchased games show up, if you prefer not to need the steam window open to browse your games you can create shortcuts to the desktop just like normal CD games.

Yes it supports LAN, you can log in in offline mode. No, the servers and server browsing are specific to the games, not steam itself, all the games have a community that host servers anyway.

To see all the free-to-play games go to www.steampowered.com and in the genre tab, free-to-play is its own genre.
I don't have Steam installed right now, but I'd wager Nova doesn't participate in a whole lot of the sales, eh?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:27 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
I don't know about COD but if you go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common you may find the game there and locate the executable, make the desktop shortcut as usual. Go to MSCONFIG and disable Steam Auto startup then when you start the game steam will still have to start but it will be on demand and not at Windows Login. After you start a steam linked game this way any other steam games similarly treated will start quickly from the Desktop
PS I can run DFX2 without Steam
Stomp, it won't work with the COD:MW3 exe. , it has a URL target.

Also, I delay the Steam at startup by about 3 minutes. I don't mind Steam running, I just mind it slowing down my startup.

EDIT: Nevermind I finally figured it out and got a working shortcut for COD:MW3 on my desktop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steam CODMW3.jpg (77.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg CODMW3 shortcut error.jpg (19.5 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by dave61; 05-04-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
Quote:
Originally Posted by --BulletMagnet-- View Post
I don't have Steam installed right now, but I'd wager Nova doesn't participate in a whole lot of the sales, eh?
Rarely yeah, like twice per year. One day I get on and see the entire nova catalog 30% off, but it was just for a day. Then Black Hawk Down (And TS) was on a 75% off sale as the daily indie game on another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashie View Post

Gabe Newell (CEO) has said it himself, if they do, they'll release a patch to unrestrict steam for all of the users before packing up and leaving.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 05-05-2012, 01:24 AM
black hawk is offline black hawk

That's quite a good collection of games you have stompem.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:46 AM

All outdated now
Old 05-05-2012, 12:41 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Quote:
All outdated now
Stomp, you got any of the Need for Speed Games?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 PM

Yes I have Carbon and Pro Street and a couple of the older NFS family... and except for the latest game they have all been dropped by EA as well as other titles like NASCAR and Grid.

I have an estimated 10% of my games running from Steam and not all of them were purchased from them either.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
i have NFS
Need Fart Smarter

i need be smarter! when i fart i need to be smarter about it! so no one knows it was me in the air port, last time i got chase out of the airport for it!
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 AM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Quote:
Yes I have Carbon and Pro Street and a couple of the older NFS family... and except for the latest game they have all been dropped by EA as well as other titles like NASCAR and Grid.

I have an estimated 10% of my games running from Steam and not all of them were purchased from them either.
How bout NFS:Underground 2 ?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
That was a great game!

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

I agree, was the last game i bought in that series, they haven't topped that game so far in my opinion

My photography website

Old 05-07-2012, 02:57 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
That was a great game!
Yes ... most definatly !

Need For Speed:Underground 2 was the best in the NFS series!
It had it all, Drift , Drag Race, Street Racing, URL... but Out Run was my favorite !

My question is that Can this game Still be run on the internet? If anyone was interested?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I also liked NFS Black quite a bit. The only two NFS I really played were NFS:UG2 and NFS:Black.. Both of them were able to keep my interest past the 3hr mark

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Never heared of black

I have played NFS (first game) and NFS:U2 the most

My photography website

Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Quote:
i have NFS Underground 1
but i got call a cheater when taken shortcuts through buildings online with some newbies screaming at me and other! who have no clue they are shortcuts to take.

crap to drive with the keybroad have to say, got a gamepad work some what better making sharp turns

gave it up after a week getting name call from others in it

account active but lost the account name and password been so long
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]