Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 12-12-2006, 01:04 AM
Erik is offline Erik

Media Center 2005

So I just recently discovered that you CAN'T buy Media Center 2005 retail...you have to buy a new comp with it. How gay is Microsoft for that? I really just want it so I can get the Media Center program because of the way it works with music, files, pictures etc soo....

So computer Gods is there anyway to get the "Media Center" program on My WinXp Pro machine? I'll love you forever if you tell me. There has to be a way Chief, Steve...
Old 12-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
i think with the OEM versions you might have to buy a piece of hardware at the same time. but it can be something like a hard disk or motherboard or barebones for example (supposed to be a core system component).

but.... some shops just seem to sell it withough an issue. so i'm just not sure about it.

2 contrasting sites

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_6609.html (wrong picture on site)
says you need to buy hardware at the same time.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=SW-008-MS (cheaper )
will just let you add it to the order no probs.

/ actually just read your post, you bothered about getting the Retail version? just grab the OEM
Old 12-12-2006, 06:18 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116049

There are other ways.....

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 12-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Erik is offline Erik

Wow...Microsoft said they wouldnt sell it unless its on a new comp...am I to assume that this is a full version and no upgrade?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Erik is offline Erik

Edit...the first 3 results basically said they would rather of died by tetanus then of bought and installed it...it sucked. What do you think?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:58 AM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
I have always understood that for one to get the full benifit of media center, you needed a computer who's hardware was supported by media center...

According to microsoft (taken from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...e/default.mspx)

"Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is an operating system that is only available on Media Center PCs. Because of special hardware requirements, Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PCs are available only from Microsoft PC Manufacturer partners. ".

i have come across some people trying to get it installed on xp home or xp pro, but I don't think MS would be happy with their methods.

IcI
Old 12-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Erik is offline Erik

Honestly want the program called Media Center...not really the whole OS. But if thats how it has to be then so be it. I dont really need it for the neat things it can do with hardware...I have a laptop
Old 12-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Media center is built into the OS. You cannot have it seperatly. You can buy programs that have the same functionality as Media Center, and use them with XP pro though.

It is a full OEM version, not an upgrade.

To use any of the good 'Media Center' features you should have a TV tuner card.

Media center is Windows XP Pro with "Media Center" built in, with some of the pro features disabled like joining a domain etc, stuff you will probably never use anyways. If you have problems with XP you will probably have problems with Media Center.

The first 2 reviewers on newegg sound like Idiots, FYI, Media center has more 'pre installed' drivers then XP Pro. It sounds like they are incapable of installing an OS. "The CD is missing explorer files", rofl.

ALWAYS DO A FRESH INSTALL.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 12-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

try this Erik : http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

MediaPortal is an Open Source application ideal for turning your PC in a very advanced Multi-Media Center / HTPC. MediaPortal allows you to listen to your favorite music & radio, watch your video's and DVD's, view, schedule and record live TV and much more.

As Open Source software licensed under the GNU/GPL agreement, you get MediaPortal for free. This means anyone can contribute to MediaPortal or customize for their own needs!

MediaPortal is built on the Microsoft .NET framework using C# and currently has a growing international community of over 10,000 users.

etc...

a lot of ppl use it for home theater rather than getting the MS operating sytem. tbh it's probably better to. at least you can junk it later if you dont agree with it. and its free.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Erik is offline Erik

Steve if I where gay I would sleep with you. Thanks bro!
Old 12-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

let us know how it goes, i might be interested myself.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Erik is offline Erik

I'll write a full review once I get my new laptop. Yes, I know I said it came along ago but the computer sucked more than ermm...well it just sucked so I sent it back. I bought a new one and its coming this week and I'll add it to that machine. Right now I do most of my computer work on my server that I use for files, music, etc. I'll post as soon as I test it out.