Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 03-25-2004, 01:01 PM
wigster187KIA is offline wigster187KIA

help plz :(

hi guys
ok ive put together a pc (custom build) but i got big probs with it...

as soon as it gets to the welcome to windows page it crashes and restarts its self

ive tried disableing everything and the only thing that stops it from crashing is if i disable L1 & L2 cache

this stops it from crashing and it does every thing its ment to do but it is very very slow

specs...
elitegroup L4S8A2 motherboard
pentium 4, 2.4 northwood, (533 fsb)
512mb ddr ram pc2100
120 gb maxtor hd
g force fx5600

im guessing theres a faulty peice of hard ware the only things ive tested everything except the mobo and cpu as these are the expensive items

any ideas as this has given me the biggest headache ?
Old 03-25-2004, 01:12 PM
wigster187KIA is offline wigster187KIA

forgot to say im running windows XP pro on it but ive had the same problem with all opperating systems
Old 03-25-2004, 11:42 PM
~MOUSE~ is offline ~MOUSE~

squeek !

Haven't had this problem myself, can only sugest you check the basics. All jumper connections and settings.

1. During bootup does the screen show the correct cpu speed, memory size etc...

2. Make shure the " video bios cacheable " option in the bios is set correctly for your display card. (all my voodoo's and my fx-5800 needed it disabled)

ps.
You did install the temperature sensor and connect the cpu fan i hope.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:23 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Guy go into safemod and use run option in it type in: chkdsk /f hit enter then rebootup. in WIndows Xp family the scandisk you have to use dos to enter it. it will look for all error and the F its is for "full" as in fully scan all areas.

you could go to My Computer lookup the HHD go to "Properties" in there you see "Tools" look in there for scandisk, it will ask you to reboot and type in Y for yes or N for No type in Y then restart your system. you see a blue screen asking you if you like to disable it leave it be and let it run, when its finsh it will reboot on its own, when your finsh update it asap it really need the update spec/ the SP1.

all your hardware have to have software and drivers for windows Xp you don't have it lookup the MFG of them hardware to see if they have new software and drivers for it.

go into safe mod restart the PC when it startup again press F8 key you will see option for things to use pick "safemod commands" a blank box left side you see dos type in chkdsk /f now hit enter after type in exit after that point press Alt & Ctri & Delete at same time a new box popup now up top you see "Shutdown" press on it in there is a option restart click-on it your set. If mouse dose not work in safemod press Tab key till file is highlited. then use the pointer keys to move the highlited bottons till it goes to shutdown.

you could take it to a tech the tower have them look it over see if it hookup right.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 03-26-2004 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:27 PM
~MOUSE~ is offline ~MOUSE~

squeek !

L1 & L2 cache are built into the cpu. Can't see how windows or a faulty HD can cause that problem.

Check your motherboard manual and see if you have all your settings correct, voltage,clock sped,clock ratio . ( jumpers & bios )

Always double check your voltage settings before changing them.

Other posibilities are faulty/incompatible ram or cpu.
I hate intel's naming system. Too confusing.

Old 03-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
i redid my system one thing i goof up on was the Cd-Rom i have 2 of them and both was set as Master(bad) i get to desktop system lockup and crash. there white tap on the back side 1-Cd rom you use mainly to use all the time set it has master (Center point), and the other Cd-rom set it to last pins on the left side this will let the system pick on how it will set it as a slave or what ever it will set it to. right is slave.

1.) Left last 2pins system
2.) Center Master
3.) Right side last 2pins Slave.

gose same with HHD you have more then one set of HHD you need to set one as a slave and one as master.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 03-26-2004 at 06:53 PM.