Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Web design and Programming

Web design and Programming Discuss website creation and other programming topics.

Old 09-05-2005, 12:51 AM
navysea| is offline navysea|

Send a message via ICQ to navysea| Send a message via AIM to navysea|
turning old pc into full webserver...

Ok i have this p3 windows 98 machine that i use to host a cs source server off of... but i dunno i dont really use cs source much (hooked on bf2) and im really into webdesign i know html, css, basic php and mysql and very very little java but i would like to turn my old pc into a full function web server

anyone know of a "web hosting program" where it makes it so i can create mysql databases, use php, html, css, etc? and WINDOWS plz i cant get linux to work with the other 3 machines that were identicaly to this one so im not even going to try putting linux on it.... and oo is there anyway to make it a domain name too?

-navyseal thx in advance

Old 09-05-2005, 02:01 AM
Rampage. is offline Rampage.
Rampage

Send a message via AIM to Rampage.
yea i am intersted to, i was wondering if someone could tell me where to get linux, and the program he is looking for..

Old 09-05-2005, 02:07 AM

well linux you can get at many places but there are some many linux distros but umm try this site http://www.redhat.com/ redhat is a popular linux distro

Old 09-05-2005, 03:55 AM
King is offline King

best is, just to install apache, php and mysql on your pc. There are windows versions of it... and all you need to do is read the instructions.

You have some programs that will install it for you. I tried some of them out, but never got it totaly right. This because some functions dont seem to work then.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:30 AM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
You could try EasyPHP: http://www.easyphp.org/?lang=en

It installs Apache, php and mysql.

Or, just install the windows version your self:

Apache2 - www.apache.org
Mysql - www.mysql.com
Php - php.net

All should come with instructions for installing and configuring them.

IcI
Old 09-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Stu is offline Stu
Resident Member

easyphp will suite your needs probally
Old 09-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

If you want ftp and email you'll have to set that up seperate from easyphp. I use easyphp because it is very easy to setup and use, but I just use it as a local thing for testing.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 09-05-2005, 12:49 PM

thx for all the help guys!!!

i also found a program that seems pretty good it isntalls php, mysql, phpmyadmin, and apache

its called appserv
http://www.appservnetwork.com/

ill try easyphp too and see which one suits my needs the best thx

Old 09-11-2005, 02:13 AM
rockape is offline rockape

hey navyseal wats ur server ip on cs
Old 09-21-2005, 06:54 PM

on counterstrike? umm i took it down but howd u know i had a cs server?

Old 09-23-2005, 08:43 PM
JonM is offline JonM

Re: turning old pc into full webserver...

Quote:
Originally posted by navysea|
Ok i have this p3 windows 98 machine that i use to host a cs source server off of... but i dunno i dont really use cs source much (hooked on bf2) and im really into webdesign i know html, css, basic php and mysql and very very little java but i would like to turn my old pc into a full function web server

anyone know of a "web hosting program" where it makes it so i can create mysql databases, use php, html, css, etc? and WINDOWS plz i cant get linux to work with the other 3 machines that were identicaly to this one so im not even going to try putting linux on it.... and oo is there anyway to make it a domain name too?

-navyseal thx in advance
he knew cuz u said...
Old 09-24-2005, 09:04 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

If you want to use a domain name, i suggest that you get Bind 9 setup (free and easy to download), its for both windows and linux.

I setup a linux server with my domain and webserver, ssh, ftp email etc once, worked great. Linux is quite easy to install if you know how to do it, thats the problem. RedHat is simular to a windows install though and quite simple, its only the partitions that can be tricky. A tip is to get a virtual computer program to simulate linux (works exactly like a dedicated box, but it can be a bit slower, or alot as it shares its memory with windows), only difference is that it has its own virtual bios and virtual drives. And if it crashes or not get it to work, you just delete the virtual drive, create a new and install it once again. And do it till you find out how to do it correctly. Also many commands are simmular to DOS commands.

I've also setup bind 9 on my windows xp box and can give you the config files if you want to see how its done. Its best run on NT based system (such as NT and XP).

I've also made a file sharing network with webserver and ssh with mixed linux and wondows boxes. If you need help just ask, i will do my best to help you. I do suggest to get apserve or easyphp or something simular before you try to intall it separatly (It's fun to do a real install of it, bit tricky at first but its awsome when you figure it out and i suggest you do it when you get some experience from appserv easyphp etc, thats how i started, didnt take long till i trashd it and saw the green grass on the other side of the hill though hehe)

My photography website