Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Halo

Halo Anything about the Halo series of games.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:00 PM
grenadier501 is offline grenadier501
JO mod maker

Confused Halo 1 crashes my pc

hello guys, i'm trying to relive old times I want to play the single player campaign of Halo 1 combat evolved , but right after I open the game the system crashes (blue screen of death ) ..

i tried everything : reinstalled 10 times, compatibility mode, different .exe versions, reinstall audio and video drivers, but nothing, just blue screens of death ..

The OS is windows XP and Halo Custom Edition version runs perfectly in this pc i don't know why since it uses the same engine of combat evolved. Even halo 2 runs perfectly in this pc.

sorry for bad english
Any ideas?

PC details:
motherboard: asrock-G41C-VS
RAM: 2Gb kingston DDR3-1333
video driver: integrated Intel G41 express chipset
Audio driver: realtek HD audio
Old 05-01-2014, 02:52 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

DLL conflict? Sometimes the games use shared system dll's and they can be incorrect version etc..or the game requires older XP DLL's or it's own DLLL's are getting over written.

Try installing it but don't run it, then copy to another folder and track down the registry entries (just in case you need them) then uninstall the original.

Then try running it standalone either back in the original default folder or elsewhere. Look for *.ini files in the game folders and open them to see if there are any clues to the game settings/configs there.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:44 PM
JO mod maker

I tried what you said stompem but no success, still blue screens of deaths t_t . I also have an older pc with Win XP SP2 , i tried the game there and it runs, at slow fps, unplayable, But runs.. i copied some of the dlls from that old pc to the main game folder, still BSOD. Then I replaced the main game dlls by the custom edition ones, still BSOD.
It must be a problem with my system or something..
Old 05-01-2014, 01:46 PM
JO mod maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadier501 View Post
I tried what you said stompem but no success, still blue screens of deaths t_t . I also have an older pc with Win XP SP2 , i tried the game there and it runs, at slow fps, unplayable, But runs.. i copied some of the dlls from that old pc to the main game folder, still BSOD. Then I replaced the main game dlls by the custom edition ones, still BSOD.
It must be a problem with my system or something..
nevermind, i'll download the modded version of the sp campaign and play it via custom edition, thanks anyway.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:24 PM

I know you've put the problem aside but here's another thought;

With some Mobile GFX systems, the hardware/software/midware interface can cause the same issue and also cause BSOD (you look at the dump or the BSOD screen might tell you what module(s) are at fault).

Is it a laptop? Sounds like it.

Many laptops (and some PC's) shipped with on-board GFX Chips have proprietary drivers.
Try different drivers - (if they will be accepted) but a lot of the time they wont be upgradeable.

Good Luck
Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 AM
JO mod maker

yess i fixed it, i can play now . Tt was a video driver problem. I installed an old version of the graphic driver and halo works fine now , i'll keep both version setup of the drivers just in case, thanks for the advice of try different drivers, no more BSODs for now. It is a desktop computer.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadier501 View Post
yess i fixed it, i can play now . Tt was a video driver problem. I installed an old version of the graphic driver and halo works fine now , i'll keep both version setup of the drivers just in case, thanks for the advice of try different drivers, no more BSODs for now. It is a desktop computer.
Ah Ha! I thought so, see how it pays to keep trying, there's almost always a solution...
Old 09-01-2015, 08:36 AM
City Ace is offline City Ace

Halo 1. One of the favourite games that i had played when i newly bought my pc. Even now it remains my favourite sci-fi shooter game. I also bought Halo 2 few months back. But it was just my bad luck that it doesn't works. I am dying to play Halo 2.