Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 07-22-2003, 06:33 AM
BuzzSaw is offline BuzzSaw

All these pro's and no solution???

I am so frustrated at how many PC wizards are in these gaming forums (DFBHD, MOHAA, BF1942, etc.) that cannot seem to be able to help us that have this crashing to desktop problems.
I just built the following system:

Athlon 2600+
Asus a7n8x deluxe with nForce2 chipset
512mb Micron 333 PC2700 DDR
80gb WD HD
GeForce FX 5200 128 mb 8x AGP graphics
350w PS
4- 80mm case fans

I built this system cause I was tired of the crappy graphics with my PIII 933 machine and RivaTNT2 card.

AT LEAST THAT SYSTEM WOULD PLAY THE GAME!!!

I have spent days loading windows updates, latest drivers, bios tweaking, etc. only having the crashing to desktop come sooner than before and now with sysdump.txt errors.
Before, the game would randomly crash back to desktop. Sometimes it would take 30 minutes, sometimes 10 min.
Now, it is 5 minutes or less, and the error message..... Went into word pad to see what the error was, and I highly doubt the arse Mr. Gates could make heads or tails of all the code-speak.

Anyone have anymore suggestions? Possibly someone with the same MB could tell me what they have set their BIOS settings to? I know the Asus site says the AGP is only 1.5 volt ONLY, and I am now going to check ans see what the card is....

Words of wisdom greatly appreciated..... Why have a hot PC if it will not allow gmaeplay????? I can do word processing with a frickin typewriter!!!! Arrrrghhh!!1

BuzzSaw
Old 07-22-2003, 06:49 AM
Diamond Bullet is offline Diamond Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Diamond Bullet Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond Bullet
this only happens when playing in bhd or the like?

MSN: db_dasniper@hotmail.com

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

supplied by Nev
Old 07-22-2003, 06:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Diamond Bullet Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond Bullet
did you buy the memory for that MB. I bought my mem thru crucial which make you choose your MB and then gives available memory for that MB. If you did that then I dont see why the memory isnt working. Is the memory 2 x 256. If so you could put them into differnt slots so as they are not in dual bandwidth mode. I will have bios settings for u in a while.

I also have a a7n8x delx with 512mb.

I would recommend you go to www.futuremark.com and ask in the forums there. I had help from those guys when building my PC

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

supplied by Nev
Old 07-22-2003, 06:55 AM

Yes, all other programs (non-game) work without a hitch and never have lockups. Of course, they are not mem intensive programs like games, but high-def movie trailers, music vids, picture rendering all work fine... Just the games....

Up until it crashes back to desktop, the graphics are smooth as silk. I have never set it up to highest level, just left it at what game recommended for the card (which was still pretty high in my book). Lowering the settings didn't help.

Funny thing, after installing all the Win2000 "critical" pack updates and installing DirectX9, now the problem is worse, i.e., the sysdump.txt error popping up now and crashing faster.

Thanks for the reply!

Buzz
Old 07-22-2003, 06:58 AM

The memory is Micron 333 PC2700 ddr..... It is 512mb, one chip.
Will have to check out Futuremark... Thanks for the tip. What vid card you use with your asus mobo?

Buzz
Old 07-22-2003, 09:23 AM
G.I.JOE*MFA* is offline G.I.JOE*MFA*

Send a message via ICQ to G.I.JOE*MFA* Send a message via Yahoo to G.I.JOE*MFA*
i would go with a bigger power supply...most overlook power supplies...

im building a:
P4 3.06 gig at 800FSB
a gig of 3200 ddr ram
a MB that supports that 800FSB proccey
maxtor 120 gig HD
GF4 mx 440 64mb vid
sound blaster 5.1 sound
and 4 fans and that proccey heat sink/fan
with the 475 watt power supply

should have the proccey next week some time...its all im waiting for...

now on my current system i have no problems...jsut needs an update...its an HP

P3 800
80 gig maxtor HD
same GF4 mx 440 vid
same sound blaster 5.1 sound
896 megs of sdr ram
and no fan...with a 350 watt power supply

i had to upgrade my power supply on the current system cause it caused dumps on games and other programs after i installed my 5.1 sound and GF4 vid cards...they used up more power than the 1s they replaced...the original power supply was 150 watts...

*MaFiA*...Trust...Respect . . . Family

BF *MaFiA* - CoD *MaFiA* - DF *MaFiA* - JO *MaFiA* - RvS ¤MaFiA¤ - SW *MaFiA* - Capo Crimini
The Site

Old 07-22-2003, 06:14 PM
BeBop is offline BeBop

Send a message via ICQ to BeBop Send a message via AIM to BeBop Send a message via Yahoo to BeBop
GI can i borrow a lil $$,$$$ apparently u have got quite enough lol
Old 07-23-2003, 12:17 AM

Well, I have a 350w power supply. Should really be enough for my system.
Going to upgrade my heatsink/fan with a good aftermarket type.
Also, I think I forgot to update the driver for my AGP port. Maybe that is the problem? Just bought another 512mb PC2700 DDR ram. Cant hurt....

Keep sending suggestions folks..... I'll get this figured out yet!

Also, my memory is 333.. the board supports 400. That doesnt mean it has to be 400, right? I assumed that it just means I can go UP TO 400. Correct?

Saw that the AGP port is "1.5v only". Does that only pertain to overclockability, or do I have to seek out a vid card that is "1.5v only"???

Thanks all!

Buzz
Old 07-23-2003, 06:15 AM

i have 9500 pro, which works great. I dont believe there should be any technical issues about compatibility with the 5200 and the mobo.

"Also, my memory is 333.. the board supports 400. That doesnt mean it has to be 400, right? I assumed that it just means I can go UP TO 400. Correct?"

Correct

supplied by Nev