Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
The British Hacker 'who Crippled The U.s. Battle Fleet From His Bedroom'...

THE BRITISH HACKER 'WHO CRIPPLED THE U.S. BATTLE FLEET FROM HIS BEDROOM'...

US army computers 'shut down by hacker'
By Catriona Davies

A Briton facing extradition to America for perpetrating "the biggest computer hack of all time" left a message criticising American foreign policy on an army computer, a court heard yesterday.

Microsoft

Gary McKinnon, 39, is accused of accessing 97 US government computers, causing damage estimated at $700,000 (£370,000).

An extradition hearing at Bow Street magistrates' court was told that McKinnon, of Wood Green, north London, deleted files that shut down more than 2,000 computers in the US army's military district of Washington for 24 hours "significantly disrupting governmental function".

It was claimed he left a note on an army computer in 2002 saying US foreign policy was "akin to government-sponsored terrorism". The note allegedly said: "It was not a mistake that there was a huge security stand down on September 11 last year. I am Solo. I will continue to disrupt at the highest levels."

McKinnon is accused of 20 counts relating to the American army, navy and air force, Nasa and the Department of Defence.

One allegation is that he deleted files and logs from computers at the US Naval Weapons Station Earle at a critical time after the Twin Towers attacks, rendering the base's network of 300 computers inoperable.

Mark Summers, for the American government, said: "The defendant was acting from his own computer in London. He effectively owned those computers by virtue of the software he had transmitted. His conduct was intentional and calculated to influence and affect the US government by intimidation and coercion."

It is also alleged that McKinnon obtained secret passwords or information which might become "indirectly useful to an enemy", and interfered with maritime navigation facilities in New Jersey.

When McKinnon was indicted, Paul McNulty, the US attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, said: "Mr McKinnon is charged with the biggest computer hack of all time."

The hearing was adjourned until Oct 18.

[Source]
-----------------------------------------

He should be extradited and severely punished in the worst way. He should serve life in Prison or Death. Make an example out of him!
-Trojan

••• 26th MEUSOC 940311 93-95MySpace •••
Old 07-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
man save the world shot him, then be no more trouble from this jerk hacker. save time and money don't waste more money on this fool kill him .45c or in this case think .23p
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 07-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Send a message via ICQ to Sal UK
Even though this is a bad thing in a way it can also be a positive thing, They know their security is crap now.

What I want to know is why use something different we have http, https, ftp ect why do they use the same why isnt it some secret way or encrypted so only a militery computer can access another militery comp?

You would think in these times of terror they would have something that only they could access like if there was a cirtain chip or combination of chips all comps that access it have the same components, This like thins worry me in this age What if he had been a terrorist what Militery resouces would they have had access too?

Just things I think about when I hear things like this..
Old 07-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
In my opinion, he is a Terrorist and should be shot after they beat information out of him. We need to find out how he got his talents and who else knows about this. Human Rights should not be an issue in this case.

••• 26th MEUSOC 940311 93-95MySpace •••
Old 07-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Acid is offline Acid

Send a message via ICQ to Acid
Quote:
Originally posted by Trojan
In my opinion, he is a Terrorist and should be shot after they beat information out of him. We need to find out how he got his talents and who else knows about this. Human Rights should not be an issue in this case.
Well said Trojan.

I'm with yah there.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:24 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

I think he should get a job at FBI!

My photography website

Old 07-28-2005, 10:53 AM
katana*GFR* is offline katana*GFR*

Send a message via ICQ to katana*GFR* Send a message via MSN to katana*GFR*
I think he did a great job, just for the hacking part. Not for altering any files or whatsoever.

And before everybody blames him, think of this: "Why is a secured network, connected to the internet?"
Think of that and give me a answer that is really thought of.

Found on Youtube:
Quote:
And if Newton Faulkner's voice can be described as "R&B" then Kurt Cobain must be a member of Boyz II Men.
Link here

Last edited by katana*GFR*; 07-28-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Quote:
Originally posted by katana*GFR*
[B]I think he did a great job, just for the hacking part. Not for altering any files or whatsoever.

And before everybody blames him, think of this: "Why is a secured[/] network, connected to the internet?"
Think of that and give me a answer that is really thought of.
did you not read it? he deleted files if thats not altering a system and making system crash do to him altering the data in the system, he even added a a flaming note the their system to boot.

he cost the tax's payer money and time to fix his hacking crap he did.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 07-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Lucky is offline Lucky

let me use him for target practice
Old 07-28-2005, 01:34 PM
katana*GFR* is offline katana*GFR*

Send a message via ICQ to katana*GFR* Send a message via MSN to katana*GFR*
Quote:
Not for altering any files or whatsoever.
Didnt read my topic all the way m8?

That he got in means something is very wrong in there system.

Let me clarify this:
I do NOT agree with deleting; altering; moving; nor anything else that will compromise data; lives; setup;computers etc.

But the question still stands.

My point is that he did a good job in hacking into it. I do not agree with the actions he did afterwards.
Heck, i will congratulate him on the hack set. But not on the actions he did after he got in.

If i ever stumble upon a compromised system, and i get in.. I will inform the owner of it, and tell him how it was done.

Found on Youtube:
Quote:
And if Newton Faulkner's voice can be described as "R&B" then Kurt Cobain must be a member of Boyz II Men.
Link here
Old 07-29-2005, 09:33 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Quote:
Originally posted by Trojan
I couldn't agree more!!!!

Warm Regards
Old 07-29-2005, 09:45 AM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

Quote:
My point is that he did a good job in hacking into it. I do not agree with the actions he did afterwards.
Heck, i will congratulate him on the hack set. But not on the actions he did after he got in.
i have to agree, although he did a highly illegal thing, in a way its good that he done it (even though he caused alot of trouble).. now the way he done it has probably been resloved and the security has been tightened.. lets just be glad it wasnt someone with more sinister plans..