Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Novahq.net Specific > News
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

News News and comment posting for the main page. Use this forum to submit your news.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:50 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

DFX reviews

Got the new DFX game? Did you Like it? Think it was a piece of junk? Well were looking for honest opinions from the gamers of the latest offering from novalogic to put in our Reviews section here on Novahq.

Reviewers will obviously be credited for their work, reviews can be done in HTML fomat if you wanted to include images or the like. There is no word limit or format or anything like that, it can be as short or as long as you would like. You will also need to provide your rating out of 10 of the product.

If you want your review posted in the Novahq reviews section get the review as you want it to appear to one of the admins and it will be check and posted.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:43 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Cool

I'm not sure if I've got this right Mike but I heard some where there was a dealy in the release date?

Warm Regards
Old 04-25-2005, 05:35 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

i think you mighty be refering to a press release published on April 1...
Old 04-25-2005, 11:16 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Cool

Actually I heard it from a friend of mine via email today 25/4/05. I just wondered if there was a delay?

Warm Regards
Old 04-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Nix
Unregistered

Smile

Well it's very good...graphics works and the sound needs a little work...but the big trouble is that the game crashes when you exit...it's no windows problem...the game just exits every time with the same error after you play...the dfx executabile is to blame for...i expect a fix to be released soon for that matter...
Old 04-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Nix
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Nix
Well it's very good...graphics works and the sound needs a little work...but the big trouble is that the game crashes when you exit...it's no windows problem...the game just exits every time with the same error after you play...the dfx executabile is to blame for...i expect a fix to be released soon for that matter...
A fix has been released )) already but the problem persists and it's not just me...i installed the game on other computers whit the same operating system and it still crashes on those computers so is not my operating system instalation to blame for...
Old 04-25-2005, 03:09 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Specs please!

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 04-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Nix
Unregistered

Well you enter the game ,you select a mission, you play one mission or more and when you exit after the game exits on the screen apears an error that says : dfx.exe encounter a problem and needs to close...send or not send?In the tehnical description of the error there are some numbers and lots of signs....if you send the operating system says that the error report has been sent...if you don't send you know the answer....so i expect a fix soon for this problem...And i recall something....I have tried to install delta force you know the first game delta force...it worked , the game was functional but when i was exiting the game guess what happened?every time i was exiting the game => same error same problem...like dfx....the problem coincides at those 2 games so it must be something i don't know...maybe the transformation and adaptation was not so sucesfully after all...
Old 04-26-2005, 11:55 AM
royboy is offline royboy

got the game.. love the df1 maps.. they rock lol.. brings back to old feelings i got when first played df... i dont get any problems exiting the the game or anything like that.. there is a update avalibale already by nova.. if you didnt know.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:57 AM

I tested the game on two separate machines, ME with Pentium 3 933 Mhz processor, 383MB RAM, and GForce4X 64 MB Card; and XP laptop with Pentium 4, 2.3Ghz 520 MB RAM, and ATI 9800 VGA Card.

Works fine for me.

Quote:
Old 04-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Stu is offline Stu
Resident Member

Novahq admins & High-rollers apreeciate all reviews, get uploadin'
-Tecceh2
Old 04-26-2005, 12:29 PM
BUCK(BD)
Unregistered

scope

Might just be me but why doesnt the scope magnify?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:31 PM

Scope doesn't Zoom. Magnifies a bit.

Quote:
Old 04-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Buzz is offline Buzz

Send a message via Yahoo to Buzz
I hate logging into Nova Graphics look nice
Old 04-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Trigger is offline Trigger

Send a message via ICQ to Trigger
http://www.pro-warrior.com/home/inde...ew&reviewid=25

Here is my review of the full game
Old 04-26-2005, 04:00 PM
¤§ƒG¤†r¡ñ¡†ý is offline ¤§ƒG¤†r¡ñ¡†ý

Send a message via Yahoo to ¤§ƒG¤†r¡ñ¡†ý
The game is a lot of fun. I never played JO or DF1 so I didn't know what to expect; I have only played BHD. The only things I don't like about the game is:

1. Nova Login required - can't use our squad's hexed name
2. Weapon selection - don't like any gun except the 249 cuz it has a scope w00t!

And that's it. I have no other complaints.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Chudster is offline Chudster

Send a message via ICQ to Chudster Send a message via Yahoo to Chudster
DF:X Review (V. Poor)

I couldn't wait to get my copy of Delta Force - Xtreme. Having been a DF player since the very first week the original came out, I was hyped about a new DF! Thusly, I rushed to my local Best Buy, which hadn't even put them on the shelves yet. Having obtained a copy from the stock room, I raced home to install it.

Graphics were fairly typical of previous DF versions. Lilly pads on the ponds were a nice touch, as were the boards on the windows that you could peek through.

I see that the old ability to shoot down trees is back, although this only seems to work SOMETIMES and only in certain areas.

There are no ways to shut off the tracers, and no ways to play at different skill levels.

The scope doesn't zoom, and allows for the operator to keep one eye open. Whereas this might be desireable for some operators, it severely limits the scope's field of view for snipers, which is a bad thing. The old full-screen scope view (that ZOOMED) was far superior. Note that you can no longer peep through the scope while moving even a little bit.

More on the scope: The recticle is also very poor, displaying very wide open cross hairs that don't even come close to touching in the center. Precise shots are not possible, even at close range. Also, you can no longer adjust your elevation based on distance. The M4 no longer has a red-dot scope, and all scopes are the same generic cross hairs that don't touch.

The weapon choices are very watered down. Your basic choices are the M4 carbine; M16/M203; 2 sniper rifles, including the M82 .50 Barrett and the M24, M249 SAW, and the MP5. I may have missed one in there, but at this point, that's ok. Let's review:

M4 carbine: Has the generic scope and can be fired full auto. Decent stock weapon.

M16/M203: Front post sighting. Selectable 3 rnd burst, or semi. The M203 seems to hit wherever the cross hair is. You no longer have to manually adjust your elevation to comensate for distance, which I actually enjoyed doing!

Sniper rifles: Without an accurate scope, the sniper rifles are worthless. The M82 Barrett has very little recoil. I recall when DF first introduced the Barrett into the armoury. When fired, that thing knocked you back some. Not here. Might as well be a pellet gun.

M249 SAW: Probably the most accurate weapon out of the line up! I could snipe at great distances, and with little to no recoil, using a sweeping motion usually takes care of any accuracy problems. Unbelievable.

MP5: This weapon is now a primary weapon again, and now available in "Semi silent" - apparrently. Seems like enemys from miles around can detect the noise of the MP5's bolt and extractor in action. (With the proper ammo, this is generally the loudest part of the MP5 when fired.) It also seems that once a target is out of range, it cannot be struck, even when compensating with an increase in sight elevation.

The reason why the MP5 is back to being a primary firearm, is that there are no more secondary firearms, like a shotgun. You have a pistol, the H&K Mk23. That's it.

There's still the C4 satchel charge, AT4 anti-tank rocket, and Claymore mines. These are not options that are available on every mission however. It might be that you have only one choice for your loadout.

Please note that NOT ONE of the weapons' specifications are shown. Not even the caliber! No maximum effective range, no nothing. Just an arcade-like green stamp representing that perticular weapon.

Granted, I've only played 4 missions of DF:X. The only thing that's "Xtreme" about this game is my disappointment. I had already been disappointed when I purchaced "Joint Operations". I was expecting to be able to play single player... well, you can if all you want are practice missions. "Large Scame Multiplayer Gaming" is imprinted on the box of J.Ops, but hasn't that been available with other DF's in the past? Also, under "System Requirements" there's a system requirement for "Internet Play"... just in case I didn't want to play the 3 practice missions for the rest of my life.

What I'd like to see:

-Weapons. Lots of weapon choices. Realistic ones too. With specs. The ability to carry more than just a primary firearm into battle. It's nice to have an MP5 available, or a shotgun. Not an unrealistic desire either, as this is actually done in real life (Hereafter referred to as "IRL"). Bring back all of the old weapons, with their descriptions, and add some too.

The ability to drop and pick up weapons on the battlefield should be brought back too.

-Optics: Scopes that work like they should. MIL-SPEC scopes too, with the same recticles as a sniper would see IRL, or a CQB operator (ie: red-dot 4x scope on an M4). Binoculars that work more like the real thing. Ability to zoom in and out is important, as well as a range finder.

-Grenades: Bring back the smoke and concussion (flashbang) grenades! What an important part of building clearing these are! Try lobbing a frag grenade into a hostage rescue situation!

I also like the ability to clear foliage as needed. IRL this is done by asserting a decent amount of firepower at the same point in the offending peice of foliage. Should be the same here. No pistol is going to take down a tree, but a few well placed shots with the .50 should weaken a fully grown tree enough to topple it. Same with enough well placed rounds from a SAW, though this might take a while.

-Ballistics: The .50 Barrett should be able to shoot THROUGH most trees, wooden buildings, and even some concrete blocks! Bullet's trajectory should not just STOP at a certain distance and become totally ineffective.

-Keeping score: DON'T! DF:X keeps a points score as you kill things. Unbelievable. And... a respawn if you die, a la multi-player. No more making it through a mission without DIEING! You just lose your accumulated points! Bring back the save-ability. That's plenty of do-over! Limit the saves, sure, but bring 'em back!

-Ghillie suits: Camo is important! I like the ability to hide in the 3D grass, but DF2 accentuated this with the Ghillie suit. What a blast this was to have strapped to your back!

Like I said, I've only played 4 missions of DF:X, and that's enough for me. There may be things on down the road as the missions progress that I'm missing. I'm sorely disappointed with the arcade like styling, which is clearly from a different design team. A design team who would be much better suited to cranking out games like Dig-Dug and PacMan. If DF:X were even IN an arcade, it still wouldn't get my quarter(s). Save your $20 and have a nice dinner somewhere.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:48 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

Chudster, if you want it on the novahq review section ill need a score out of 10

Trigger: Did you want that posted up on novahq?
Old 04-29-2005, 11:30 AM
D STROYER is offline D STROYER

Diamond Bullet: On brothers pc jus now.

I am glad the sniper rifle has reverted back to the old way, in BHD sniping was too easy, hide and shoot. In previous games many of the good snipers even bothered with the prone button, "hill bobbing" was what was always used, and still is. I hope in dfx, when I get it hill bobbing will be possible again.