Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 07-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Important Is it safe?

Okay, I've read in a PC mag about XP's ''secret services'' - these are the undercover Windows services hogging up memory in the BG.

Now, some of them need to run, and some of them, are just plain useless. What I want to know though... is, is it safe to set all of the processes to Manual in the Device Manager?

When it's set to Manual, the good thing is, the processes will only run when they need to - as opposed to running 24/7 doing nothing half of the time.

Thanks for any advice guys.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 07-08-2007, 07:03 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
http://www.tweakxp.com - they offer some really good tutorials and advice on making your computer run faster by getting rid of certain things as well as neat little shortcuts and stuff It's really helpful if your not too familiar with your computer and/or the OS.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Capers is offline Capers

I don't think it is "unsafe" to set all the services to manual - if you do however you will probably be in for a rather sluggish boot up process while each required service is manually triggered. The best thing is to follow the advice of sites like edge gave you to find which services are rarely used or not required.

Here's one example i found: http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1203