Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Web design and Programming

Web design and Programming Discuss website creation and other programming topics.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:51 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
Excellent Webhosting for a decent price

Does anyone know of any webhosting that has provided you with

- friendly, fast, reliable service
- lots of webspace
- good transfer
- decent price

I'm looking into purchasing some webspace and I need a good host that I can trust. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Capers is offline Capers

Host Gator - I've never had a problem with, and i've used quite a few. Pretty sure even their lowest level hosting package meets your criteria. The live support is excellent.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:23 PM
GeeFuss is offline GeeFuss
Cardiac

www.hastyhost.com

old friend of mine...tell him i sent you and maybe he will offer you better =P
Old 06-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

godaddy

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 06-21-2007, 04:13 PM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
I'm using http://elixar.com - $5 for a reseller account w/ 5Gb of disk space, 100Gb of bandwidth... for $8 more you can double the disk and bandwidth.

I also use hostgater but will probably be dropping them.

cpanel 11 is out, yet they haven't updated yet.

Could also check out 1and1.com - they use a custom control panel, and their billing is a 3 month cycle, but pc magazine dedicates 2 to 3 pages in each issue to their ads
Old 06-21-2007, 05:26 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
Quote:
Originally posted by icishoot
I'm using http://elixar.com - $5 for a reseller account w/ 5Gb of disk space, 100Gb of bandwidth... for $8 more you can double the disk and bandwidth.

I also use hostgater but will probably be dropping them.

cpanel 11 is out, yet they haven't updated yet.

Could also check out 1and1.com - they use a custom control panel, and their billing is a 3 month cycle, but pc magazine dedicates 2 to 3 pages in each issue to their ads
http://elixar.com <--- is that the right url? I can't find their hosting on that site...i must be blind?

I've hear some good things about hostgator. I'll have to check them out.

I'll also take a look at 1and1. I haven't read PC Magazine in a few months so I've not seen any of their ads
Old 06-21-2007, 07:49 PM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
sry, my bad, its elixarweb.com

I'm seeing more and more posts that put hostgater in a negative light... wether or not they are true, don't know.

I personally never had a problem with them. But I came to the realization that it may be better to find a cheaper host who offers as much, if not more.

And as I said, hostgater is slow in updating software... And their clients. Couple years ago they said that they would be upgrading their clients accounts to the new bandwidth/harddive space specs that the current plan has. Last I saw, people were still on the old plan... I finally just upgraded to the next level to get my account upgraded...

But it has been my experience that your personal experience is just that personal... some one may be having rotten luck with a host, yet you may have the best experience you ever had with any host.

Boils down, try it for your self.. most have a 30 day money back (1and1 has a 90 day).

As for speed, you can download http://dataspiller.net/movies/Launch.wmv from my site hosted by elixarweb.com - its a 101 mb movie (50 min video of the Atlantis Space Shuttle launch), last I tried it it stayed above 600Kb/s, (hovered @ 627-630 KB/s 80% of the time).

My main problem with 1and1 is how they have their passwords and databases setup.

they have their mysql behind a firewall, so you can't remotely access it from other sites... their passwords are numbers (like bu223223), database names the same)... I have a hard enough time remembering a simple "cpanalusername_whateverIspecify name.

Other then that they seemed ok... I just like the cpanel environment better

IcI
Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

www.knownhost.com

been with them for ages, never had any downtime and their support is freakishly fast...