Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Gaming Talk

Gaming Talk Post all your game related stuff here. This includes PC, Console, Handhelds etc.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:08 PM
mg is offline mg

Framerate recorder and limiter

Hello,

To investigate this issue (mostly test a hypothesis), I'd like to cap the framerate of some Novalogic games (currently testing on DFTFD, but will be interested in this for later games as well).

I've been looking into dxfpscap, but so far I've not been successful in hooking it up (at least with DFLW). Most other tools for measurement and limiting do not seem to support the older DirectX version that I have heard are in use by various Novalogic games (though I never verified exactly which version is/can be used by which game).

If anyone has a recommendation, I'd love to hear about it!
Old 06-25-2022, 07:20 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

I use the Riva Tuner Statistics Server. I'm not recommending it, just stating it's what I use. I haven't really tested any other FPS limiters. This one covers my needs and hasn't caused me any problems that I could trace back to it. I mostly needed a limiter for Mechwarrior 3, but it seems to work fine with all the other games I have.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:27 AM
mg is offline mg

Thanks for the suggestion!

I often use it as well, however it doesn't hook into DFLW/DFTFD. At least not out-of-the-box; I also just re-confirmed it works as-is on another non-Novalogic game right after an unsuccessful DFTFD test to make sure I didn't misconfigure something.

Unless you confirm you've made it work with these games specifically I'll assume it only works on more recent versions of the engine.

Tags
fps, framerate