Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Gaming Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Gaming Talk Post all your game related stuff here. This includes PC, Console, Handhelds etc.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
EVE online

For the longest time I've been overlooking EVE since I'm really not the MMO type.

Then a friend I used to work with told me about it and I couldn't help but to try it out for myself.

Right away the downsides to the game slapped me right in the face which I'm sure most people that left the game left it for the same reasons.

-skill requirements to use equipment and the skills in question are trained over time, not by playing.

-click to move, not direct control like a flight simulator

But I overlooked these faults and kept playing, and you know what, it's a really deep ass game as far as game play mechanics go. Essentially everyone that plays Eve is a businessman whether they realize it or not.

-Your combat vessels and equipment are assembled from resources
-Your resources were refined from ores
-Your ores were mined from asteroid belts

Everything you see in eve was ore mined by a player, refined by a player, and then manufactured by a player. If you don't like mining you can buy the ores to refine and manufacture, and sell the finished product to make a profit, or just mine the ore, refine it, and sell the resources.

The economy is player driven, you don't buy things from NPCs, you buy from other players. Overprice something and people will buy cheaper from other locations. Buy out a particular thing from everyone so you're monopolizing it and people will HAVE to by that equipment for your high price.

Scamming is allowed, telling someone that you're selling something for a high price and there's a buyer that they know of that will pay twice as much and they'll buy from you and try to sell to the other buyer to make a markup only to realize it was actually you again and you withdrew the offer leaving them with the overpriced equipment.

Combat: fight how you want to fight, jam your opponent from targeting you, use a webifier to slow him down making him an easier target, jam his warp drive so he can't leave the system, sap his capacitor so he can't repair his vessel.
Likewise if your friend is on the receiving end of this torture, use ECCMs to help him overcome target jamming, use your own repair drones to repair his ship, transfer energy from your ship to his, and start shooting back with a myriad of different weapons, rail guns, gatling guns, lasers and missiles.

So fleet battles of 50+ ships can be very intricate, knowing what ship to jam and what to web can make the difference between owning the star system or leaving in your escape pod with a billion dollar loss.

Who want's a 21 day trial? PM me your email and I'll send one to you.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
Oh oh I forgot to mention Dust 514 which is what you PS3 players should be aware of.

Dust 514 is a PS3 MMOFPS still in development by the same company.

While the commanders in EVE are out conquering galaxies, they don't start making most of their money until they capture a planet. When they authorize a ground invasion of a planet (on PC mind you) it get's carried out by the PS3 players on Dust 514.

So you got this wide scale battle on the ground and fleet battle in space going on simultaneously. Your mercenaries on the ground (PS3) are requesting fire support, so one of your fleet mates(PC) starts firing down to the planet destroying the opposing mercs on the ground (PS3). Your fleet is taking a beating and about to get wiped out when your forces on the ground capture a planetary defense laser (PS3) and fire it into space destroying your opponent's capital ship (PC) and hey guess what you win. Now as the CEO of your corporation, you need to pay the mercenaries you've hired to capture the planet. But at least you can afford it with all those untapped resources.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 03-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I'd love a trial but it would be a bad idea because I know i'd become addicted to it.. Games that never end make me nervous

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-03-2012, 12:28 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Sounds really awsome, but it's the space part that puts me down, if it was a modern war game I'd be all over it

My photography website