Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Novahq.net Specific > News

News News and comment posting for the main page. Use this forum to submit your news.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:46 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

BHD / C4 / DFX / JO Med Fix (UPDATED 2018/02/05)

If you've been having issues launching the BHD / C4 / JO Med (Or any other NovaLogic med) recently, Sil and I have found a fix for it.

Download the app below. This will install a set of compatibility flags for the mission editors to help them run properly under Windows 10 1703+. It will also allow you to install fixes for DF1, DFLW and DFTFD and other games.

Thanks to everyone for all the information that helped make this app possible.

Download here: http://novahq.net/files.php?ID=728
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Win10MedFix.png
Views:	50118
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	3833  

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq

Last edited by Scott; 02-05-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:09 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

GOOD JOB!
Old 02-03-2018, 05:26 PM
Coopwarriors is offline Coopwarriors

Send a message via ICQ to Coopwarriors Send a message via AIM to Coopwarriors Send a message via Yahoo to Coopwarriors
I did what i have read , they are on the desktop, I've run the RunMe file as administrator, but it's not working, it says he can't find the path, cause the file AppFix.sdb needs to be in the same folder as the RunMe.bat, but it is. Can you please help? I've got Windows 10 64-bit pc.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:41 PM
FrankyTheTank is offline FrankyTheTank

hmm maybe a installer should be added so it sets it to a right directory
Old 02-03-2018, 11:28 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred..nl View Post
I did what i have read , they are on the desktop, I've run the RunMe file as administrator, but it's not working, it says he can't find the path, cause the file AppFix.sdb needs to be in the same folder as the RunMe.bat, but it is. Can you please help? I've got Windows 10 64-bit pc.
fred, try and download the one attached to this post and see if it works. Otherwise I'll post how to do it manually or make a small app to maybe make it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyTheTank View Post
hmm maybe a installer should be added so it sets it to a right directory
Running as admin sometimes changes the working directory... No idea why :/

Download here fred:
Attached Files
File Type: zip Fred_Med_Fixer.zip (3.3 KB, 798 views)

Old 02-03-2018, 11:32 PM

Try This:
Don't Run As Admin, run normal from the desktop because I think it's already set to give you permission.

I reckon it's the same as when the Steam Installer says "don't run as admin", probably because they've already applied a dll fix which will break if you do.

Edit:

I'm probably wrong so an alternative (and opposite) could be calling cacls to force admin rights.

IE adding something like

Quote:
>nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"
if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' ( goto UAC
) else ( goto Admin )
:UAC
Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\adminreq0.vbs"
UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\adminreq0.vbs"
"%temp%\adminreq0.vbs"
exit /B
:Admin
if exist "%temp%\adminreq0.vbs" ( del "%temp%\adminreq0.vbs" )
pushd "%CD%"
CD /D "%~dp0"

Last edited by Guest001; 02-03-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
fred, try and download the one attached to this post and see if it works. Otherwise I'll post how to do it manually or make a small app to maybe make it easier.

Download here fred:
BTW Guys from memory I noticed that if I tried to install this (Simply Brilliant!) shim from a custom path or a remote location, IE Drive D Desktop or Drive D Work, it would create an error of a similar nature.
Addendum (system path is Drive C)
Also I failed to check and see if it was on the public desktop or the User Desktop

NB:
Note that All Is Fine At This End... the shim went in just fine when I dumped on on my desktop after extracting it from the default Downloads folder in the user path.

Last edited by Guest001; 02-04-2018 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Glitch :)
Old 02-04-2018, 04:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Coopwarriors Send a message via AIM to Coopwarriors Send a message via Yahoo to Coopwarriors
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
fred, try and download the one attached to this post and see if it works. Otherwise i'll post how to do it manually or make a small app to maybe make it easier.

download here fred:
still the same. can't find the path. the file appfix.sdb needs to be in the same folder as runme.bat

Last edited by Coopwarriors; 02-04-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:42 AM
Sil is offline Sil

I would extract in my Downloads dir to \NovaLogicMed_Fixer\ not copy to Desktop unless inside a folder.

Then try manually install either of the following ways:

Powershell (shift+right click > Open Powershell window here)

sdbinst.exe "AppFix.sdb"

Or alternatively type CMD or Powershell in search bar > right click Run as administrator

sdbinst.exe "C:\path to AppFix location\AppFix.sdb"

If it works will get a UAC prompt to install and (at least for me) does not require Admin rights.

Last edited by Sil; 02-04-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:44 AM
tony991 is offline tony991

Quote:
still the same. can't find the path. the file appfix.sdb needs to be in the same folder as runme.bat
I'm having the same issue as fred. I extracted the files to a folder on the desktop. The med works every once in a while (+-)20 tries.

"The system cannot find the path specified.
The file AppFix.sdb needs to be in the same folder as RunMe.bat"
Old 02-04-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
i would extract in my downloads dir to \novalogicmed_fixer\ not copy to desktop unless inside a folder.

Then try manually install either of the following ways:

Powershell (shift+right click > open powershell window here)

sdbinst.exe "appfix.sdb"

or alternatively type cmd or powershell in search bar > right click run as administrator

sdbinst.exe "c:\path to appfix location\appfix.sdb"

if it works will get a uac prompt to install and (at least for me) does not require admin rights.
not work
Old 02-04-2018, 08:58 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Sigh.

It installs fine from my desktop. I navigate through the system controls to the "Uninstall Programs" page and it shows up there, right at the top. Immediately after installing, I attempted to open the WIQ MED, it started first time, no trouble. Closed it and tried a different MED... it failed to start.

Damn it.

I'll fool around with it some more later, but I will add that the batch cannot find the AppFix.sdb unless I try from my desktop.

I am conviced the number of start failures is reduced, but I can't empirically claim that.

And please keep in mind that I'm having other problems with my computer.

I have a cheap MP3 player and a Walkman my wife got me to replace it. The Device Manager handles them both fine the first time I plug them in. The second sometimes, too. But I plug either of them in enough times, and eventually Explorer cannot see them, and the Device Manager lists them aa "Another Device," but not as a portable device or a USB drive. Windows then fails to load on reboot and I have to restore it to a "recovery point" (Wiederherstellungpunkt). This has happened several times.

I suspected a Sony root kit, but not all too terribly much. I'm pretty sure that last big update borked the system somewhere.

Here's the thing: I vaguely remember reinstalling my system once. The Windows 8 it came with. I've upgraded to the free Windows 10. And did I ever get around to making a recovery image for Windows 10? Indeed, I did not.

I feared that meant having to go back to Win8, but I've found a page at MS Support explaining how I can reinstall Win10 with a tool they offer for download, and I'll get on that soonish, but not today.

I have a paranoidish idea that all these troubles are happening to people that haven't purchased a copy of Win10. Does that sound crazy to anyone else?
Old 02-04-2018, 10:54 AM
Sil is offline Sil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo_the_Don View Post
Sigh.

It installs fine from my desktop. I navigate through the system controls to the "Uninstall Programs" page and it shows up there, right at the top. Immediately after installing, I attempted to open the WIQ MED, it started first time, no trouble. Closed it and tried a different MED... it failed to start.

Etc...
Which MED? Below is the list of supported MEDs.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Sil is offline Sil

I actually had to reset Win10 after the Creators Update using reset within the system Settings. I was experiencing random issues however; since has been fine.

Appears Creators Update has not been kind to some users and a reset or clean install from the Media Creation Tool has fixed a lot of issues.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:29 PM
FrankyTheTank is offline FrankyTheTank

windows can change your internal paths
to handle that windows use :
https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
Old 02-04-2018, 05:02 PM

i download dftfdmedv193a and Dflwmedc192b .both works fine
but i like to have the med for jointops work and xtreme
Old 02-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I'll try and bundle it into a small tool tomorrow if I can get a little bit of time. That should solve the "AppDb" not found.. Then this should work perfect for everything.

Sorry for the troubles. Sometimes bat files aren't the easiest to work with I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo_the_Don View Post
Sigh.

Etc...
Which MED? Below is the list of supported MEDs.

It must be named one of the exe's above. That's how the fixes are applied in the windows app fix database.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:46 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Okay, so the DFWIQ mod comes with a MED named Xmed.exe. I changed the name of that MED to DFXmed.exe, edited my shortcuts, and...

BLAM! MED starts every time!

For science's sake, I tried the Comanche 4 Consumer MED (c4medc.exe). It's a go.

Test the unlocked C4 MED (c4medc6.exe): Apparently fine.

The NSODLMED.exe: Failed! (First attempt only. Subsequent attempts succeeded.)

WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS!

Note: the NSODLMED and the NSODLMEDU are the TIO Coop consumer 2.06b and unlocked 2.05c MEDs renamed.

The TIO Coop MEDs, like the TIO Coop Mod executable, have been modified to handle a much higher number of items that these mods demand. I use them everywhere.

I like the way the consumer MED displays items by item.def name, not .3di name. I use unlocked MEDs pretty much only for editing respawn numbers and part animations.

I tried to start the BOMed.exe: Failed. Second attempt: Success.

Tried to start both the NSODLMED and the NSODLMEDU I have in the Deep Jungle mod folder (with /mod and /d flags, of course): Successful.

Hmm.

I like the sense of hope in DFBHD's future all this is giving me.

Perhaps some future version of the tool Scott's thinking about making can have a feature allowing a user to choose a specific MED to add the compatability flags to?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I'll add those EXE names to the fix list when I make the little tool here shortly.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I updated the download, it's now a small tool that helps install the fixes instead of a batch file. Seems quite a few people have issues with batch files.

If you had trouble, download the new tool from here:

http://novahq.net/files.php?ID=728