Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 03-14-2002, 11:58 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Post DF4 Latest, 14 March

Old 03-14-2002, 11:58 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Old 03-14-2002, 11:59 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

March 13, 2002 - It came as somewhat of a surprise when just last week Novalogic and Zombie Interactive announced that a follow-up (perhaps more accurately described as an update) to Delta Force: Land Warrior was not only in development, but also nearly complete (expected this May). What came as further shock was the nature of this title -- its sure to be controversial and questioned focus on the real-life conflict currently underway in Afghanistan.
Delta Force: Task Force Dagger will employ a slightly modified Land Warrior engine to once again power its voxel driven combat and thrust players into the roles of various Spec Ops personnel from a multitude of nations. All of the actions of the game are based on what is known of actual operations that have taken place against the terrorists.

Obviously the material is drawing quite a bit of attention, some negative, some perplexed, some positive. With intentions of clearing the air, we contacted Zombie's president Mark Long and queried him about all things Task Force Dagger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IGNPC: Tell us a bit about the conflict in the game.

Mark Long: Task Force Dagger takes the Delta Force franchise straight to the front lines of Afghanistan. You can play any one of 10 Special Operations Forces (SOF) characters: SFOD-Delta, 2/75th RANGER, SEAL Team 6, SFOD-SF Viper Team (Green Berets), CIA Special Operations, UK SAS 22 Regiment, Australian SASR, Canadian JTF-2, Marines Force Recon, and USAF CSAR (Air Force Pararescue) - all the actual Special Forces units deployed in Operation Enduring Freedom. The levels are based on real operations - from the RANGER assault on Kandahar, to DELTA raids on Tora Bora. Zombie and Novalogic have even generated terrain maps for some levels from de-classified Department of Defense Predator UAV imagery.

IGNPC: Does the presentation of a real and current conflict present any particular challenges in terms of design?

Mark Long: It's been very challenging to get the details of uniforms, equipment, weapons and tactics right since all of these operations have, of course, been classified. But both Novalogic and Zombie have developed a large amount of expertise in the genre that we're able to apply, and we have retained subject matter experts -- former DELTA and Special Forces operators -- that have advised us.

IGNPC: What about in terms of ethics? Also, are there any special legal and political considerations you've had to keep in mind?

Mark Long: In spite of the effort we're making to get the look and feel of Task Force Dagger right, you have to remember this is just a game -- any similarity ends there. We'll leave the politics to the Department of Defense.

IGNPC: Why is it important to you to make a game that centers on an actual war? What makes the conflict in Afghanistan a strong scenario for you?

Mark Long: I don't know if it's "important", but I do think it's a compelling game fiction. This is the first SPECWAR ever fought. And Special Forces operators make great FPS characters -- they operate alone or in small teams, they use advanced weaponry and equipment, and they are highly trained, lethal soldiers. They're also heroes, in every sense of the word. And not just American heroes - but British, Canadian and Australian heroes. These guys deserve to have a game made about them. And the fact that it is timely is all the better.

IGNPC: How do you feel the game will be received? How do you feel it OUGHT to be received?

Mark Long: The Delta Force series is hugely popular for a good reason -- it's fun to play. If the game is well received, it will be because it's a great game. The scenario just helps you "get into" the game.

IGNPC: Some might see this as a cheap way to cash in on public sentiment. How do you respond to those insinuations?

Mark Long: I'm a retired Army Major - if I thought this game diminished, in any way, the sacrifices our troops are making, I wouldn't make the game.

By the way, when I talk to my Army buddies that are still on active duty and I tell them about Task Force Dagger, you know what they say? "That's cool. When's it come out?"

IGNPC: Why do you think gamers would be attracted to this title specifically?

Mark Long: I think recreating the operations. Getting to play any one of 10 SF Operatives. The look and feel of a place that's in the headlines.

IGNPC: What are you hoping to achieve with this title? Is it more catharsis, entertainment, or comment?

Mark Long: I'm hoping, first that it's fun and second, that players think we got the details right and that it appeals to the Delta Force fan base as well as new gamers to the franchise.

IGNPC: Where have you drawn the line between what is acceptable or palatable in terms of content? Is there any territory off-limits?

Mark Long: Really, it's no different than any other game in this genre. Your opponents are all combatants. Civilians are in the game to mix up the action, but if you shoot them, you automatically lose. Violence is depicted minimally -- this game is going for a "T" rating.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:29 PM
STEALTH is offline STEALTH

Any1 heard anything about the black dot............?
Old 03-14-2002, 07:46 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I bet they fixed it though .. i hope they didn't though . I love seein a black dot and shootin it from few hunderd meters away

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-15-2002, 10:11 AM
~FB~Ghandi is offline ~FB~Ghandi

hope they fix blackdot or adleast reduce it 50-75% makes the game better more like df2 i think

Old 03-15-2002, 10:27 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

yea, they should get rid of it 75% but if they get rid of that then they need to get rid of the hill glitching . All the snipers now, all they do is hill glitch, if you cant see the black dot you cannot see them. And even if you can see the black dot you cant hit them but they can hit you . The only thing im worried about is everyone becoming a sniper cause you wont be able to see them at all. The snipers are the ones that want to get rid of the black dot but its the gunners that dont like the hill glitchin sniper they cant hit. Not trying to flame anyone here... just what I would like to see.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-15-2002, 10:33 AM
~FB~Ghandi is offline ~FB~Ghandi

yep hope thay fix most of the bug thay have 2 or els its a rip off 2 send out new stuff just new guns an new maps

Old 03-29-2002, 08:35 AM
Muninn is offline Muninn
Retired from DF

lol....Just don't say to much about it NL might read this...lol....
Old 03-29-2002, 09:37 AM
Neo_TAW is offline Neo_TAW

Send a message via ICQ to Neo_TAW
if NoLogic read this id drop dead
They dont give a Sh** about customers
they just care about money
thy recently learned that by removing cheaters in stats people like them more
Maps Admin
Map Maker
http://www.theartofwarfare.net/tawmaps
Old 04-26-2002, 01:38 AM
G.I.JOE*MFA* is offline G.I.JOE*MFA*

Send a message via ICQ to G.I.JOE*MFA* Send a message via Yahoo to G.I.JOE*MFA*
Quote:
Originally posted by Neo_TAW
if NoLogic read this id drop dead
They dont give a Sh** about customers
they just care about money
thy recently learned that by removing cheaters in stats people like them more
...lol...yeah if they would get rid of the cheats more people would buy their products...i too would like to c hill glitching and black dot out of the game...

*MaFiA*...Trust...Respect . . . Family

BF *MaFiA* - CoD *MaFiA* - DF *MaFiA* - JO *MaFiA* - RvS ¤MaFiA¤ - SW *MaFiA* - Capo Crimini
The Site