Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Hardware and Software

Hardware and Software Discuss hardware, software and security related stuff

Old 07-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Post AMD to buy ATi for $5.5 Billion

source: http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/21/tech...n=money_latest

Advanced Micro Devices, the No. 2 supplier of computer processors, is close to a deal to buy graphics chip maker ATI for $5.5 billion, a source familiar with the situation said on Friday.

Any such deal would shake up the processor industry, which is witnessing a battle over market share between AMD and larger rival Intel (Charts).

ATI (Charts) is one of two major graphics chips makers, along with rival Nvidia (Charts), and is a big supplier of chipsets - the cluster of secondary chips and interfaces that surround a computer's processor - to both AMD and Intel.

Unless talks break down, a deal could be announced as early as Monday, the source said.

ATI declined to comment, and an AMD spokesman could not be immediately reached for comment.

Shares of ATI rallied on Friday on renewed speculation that a deal was close at hand.

After gaining 83 cents, or 5.3 percent, to close at $16.56 on the Nasdaq market in regular trade, the shares jumped another 7 percent to $17.68 in after-hours trading on Inet. On the Toronto Stock Exchange, the stock finished 99 Canadian cents higher at C$18.77.

Rumors that AMD could purchase the Canadian graphics chip maker surfaced in late May when an analyst suggested the move could make AMD more competitive with Intel. The speculation sent ATI shares surging about 10 percent.

Some analysts have questioned the rationale for an AMD-ATI merger, and others were surprised that the speculation received no attention from analysts during AMD's earnings conference call on Thursday.

AMD shares closed at $18.26, down $3.39, or 15.7 percent, on the New York Stock Exchange as investors worried that the company would not be able to continue grabbing market share from Intel.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:52 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

That will be interesting to see if ATI can gain some on the processor part of the cards!

My photography website

Old 07-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Lucky is offline Lucky

vw00t

my 2 fav hardware makers!!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:00 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
There's no doubt about it, once AMD gets their hands on ATI, ATI's gonna own badly man...
I assume this 'cause since AMD is a good company making good processors, they might take the ATI graphics cards up a notch!

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 07-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
nope in a way they may cut it off totally.

a lot of MFG buy out other to get them off the market.

still there the shareholder who will say ok on the deal or not.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 07-24-2006, 07:49 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

I doubt they would do that as its not a company thats in competition with AMD, they have differnet types of products.

Both ATI and AMD would benefit from it. AMD is a strong name so is ATI. I'm sure this is more in the line of a battle between AMD and Intel. Intel also sell graphics components. ATI for AMD is a way of prowiding both in one solution such as Intel is doing.

My photography website

Last edited by SilentTrigger; 07-24-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:56 AM
VooDoo- is offline VooDoo-

i think that'll be a cool thing to see

and wtf? intel "surpases" amd?