Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Novahq.net Specific > News

News News and comment posting for the main page. Use this forum to submit your news.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:44 AM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

DFX Review - JustPressPlay

"Powered by today’s gaming technology, Delta Force®: Xtreme™ brings the classic Delta Force game back to life to face the enemy once more. As a member of the elite Delta Force, prepare yourself to take on over 60 levels of frantic single and multiplayer FPS action, including graphically enhanced missions from the original game, new maps, improved game features, STATS and much more- all for just $20*!"

That's quoted from the Novalogic website. Honestly I would have taken that 20 dollars and done something better with it, like burn it. Maybe if you were a die hard fan of the original Delta Force and don't mind Novalogic releasing recycled games all the time this is for you.

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 05-24-2005, 09:46 AM

I knew when I picked this game up that it was the original Delta Force with some added missions and a "graphical update" but I was hoping for more of a change. But, Delta Force is still the same old Delta Force. What's changed? Nothing really except the graphics. I'll get into the review and then get back into my critisms afterwards.

Controls:

Of course I never seem to have a problem with controls for any PC game and I didn't have one for Delta Force Xtreme either. You move just like in any other FPS with W A S D, Z goes prone, X crouches and C stands your numbers change weapons and there's a few other controls you'll want to get used to. Nothing bad in this category at all.

Sound:

Well you'd think if this game is supposed to be so updated they would have thought, "Hmm, maybe we should change the sounds that sound like the same exact ones from Delta Force 2". But why do that? Why waste the time when they can just recycle everything and use it over and over again?! And that pretty much sums it up here the sounds are plain and dull and recycled which really takes away from the game for me sadly.

Graphics:

Now one thing I did notice here was that on my computer I didn't see much of an improvment from the Delta Force Blackhawk Down. It could be that it was because I had everything on normal but then again when I played Delta Force Black Hawk down I had a 64MB video card and now I have a 128MB graphics card and I don't see much improvment. Yes there's definitly an improvment from Delta Force the very first one but I don't see much else from the others. The screenshots from the website looked pretty good though so it's hard for me to judge in this category. For me it was nothing spectacular at all.

Overall:

And back to my criticisms we go, like I said much is recycled and I know, I know this is just supposed to be an update of Delta Force 1 with some new missions but the way it was advertised in my opinion was very misdirecting. One thing I can say good about this game though is the loading times were very fast and after you load up you can choose your arsenal after that it's just like any other Delta Force game, actually that's what it's supposed to be.

Lets hope soon Novalogic can stop recycling their old work and instead of releasing all these Delta Forces that are the same as the previous ones except with new missions, release something up to par with the newer games comming out.

I'd say this game is not worth picking up unless you really enjoyed the first Delta Force but don't expect anything that is up to par with newer games comming out.

Quote:
Old 05-24-2005, 09:46 AM

Platform: PC
Publisher: Novalogic
Release: 04/21/2005
Genre: Action,Shooter

Official Rating: 4.5/10

Quote:
Old 05-24-2005, 07:08 PM
JonM is offline JonM

why was this news?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:08 PM
JonM is offline JonM

sry, can't edit post... you just bashed the game
Old 05-24-2005, 07:17 PM

It's a review ... positive or nagative

Quote:
Old 05-27-2005, 02:44 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
DD#1 I thought you were pro DF-X and you thought it was awesome.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Matt is offline Matt

Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Quote:
Originally posted by DevilDog#1
It's a review ... positive or nagative

Click here for the official member status images!

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
For your sence of free speech, we will control how much you have here .
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
fak i clicked it to lol.

the message "this will disable it" should have been put before

sorry
Old 05-27-2005, 05:10 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

it actually got that high? 4.5 i was expecting 2.. lol, the thing that really runs down dfx and jo for me is the hit detection
Old 05-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Send a message via ICQ to Sal UK
Quote:
Originally posted by BB
it actually got that high? 4.5 i was expecting 2.. lol, the thing that really runs down dfx and jo for me is the hit detection
DFX Hit detection? I could kill with my eyes shut in DFX...

I need 6 pairs of eyes in JO..
Old 05-28-2005, 05:05 AM
miaebow is offline miaebow

Send a message via Yahoo to miaebow
Wink

I realise that this is just a review and your own personal opinion, but it sucks. I think the game is vastly improved from the original and surely that was the point. I don't believe they were trying to wow the public with this rehash of an old game, they just wanted to give those that never got the chance to play DF1 in its original incarnation a chance to see what they'd missed.

I must just point out here that there are some very good maps coming through at the moment for DFX, and a good map can make all the difference in game play. The fact that you noted DFX looked very much like BHD should be a compliment in itself, as that game was very popular, and still is.

The only thing you said that I agree with is that the sounds should have been improved upon, other than that this game ROCKS.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:15 AM
"ath-hole"

Have you played COD or BIA? You will see why people are so disappointed in NL.

Like I said earlier I don't like how it looks like it is a flat terrain that looks fake with a few buildings thrown on it.

- COD has real cities, I love it.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Matt is offline Matt

Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Matt
well said miaebow, what reviews dont know is that NL was just recreating the game, so of course they are going to reuse some stuff from the original game...i think that was the point, right?

Click here for the official member status images!

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
For your sence of free speech, we will control how much you have here .
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
fak i clicked it to lol.

the message "this will disable it" should have been put before

sorry
Old 06-03-2005, 12:10 PM
JonM is offline JonM

Quote:
Originally posted by atholon
Have you played COD or BIA? You will see why people are so disappointed in NL.

Like I said earlier I don't like how it looks like it is a flat terrain that looks fake with a few buildings thrown on it.

- COD has real cities, I love it.
COD is boring...it used to be fun, but it got really goring...
Old 06-03-2005, 12:13 PM

Yooooooooooooo!!! I didn't do this review I was done by some dude at "JustPressPlay" LMFAO!

Quote:
Old 06-03-2005, 12:13 PM
JonM is offline JonM

boring*
Old 06-03-2005, 01:57 PM

Biggrin

I see people keep comparing the DF series with others like COD and MOH and someone in this thread said the cities in these maps look great. I agree, they do look great, but they are the same every single time you go into them. They never vary, now this is good if all you want is a good looking game and know where every single hiding place, nook and cranny is.

However, if you're after different experiences each time you go into a new map, look no further than the DF family. I'm constantly amazed by the ingenuity and imagination that some map makers show. I'm probably biased though, as I make maps, but even so I think it's a good point.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:29 AM
"ath-hole"

If NL could make it so that their cities looked more realistic and were easy to map...it would be a great thing.

I hear on COD you can make your own maps so it is not always the same.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by atholon

I hear on COD you can make your own maps so it is not always the same.
Ok then, point me in the direction of six of these maps? I've looked at the map making possibilities of these games and you need to be some kind of genius to make a map for them.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:42 PM
JonM is offline JonM

u have to download custom maps, before you can play them, and i'm almost positive somebodies stuffed virues in those maps (for cod and cod:uo) COD and COD:UO is good, but your routed to go certain ways, and yes every single hiding spot is known...why the game is so easy for me