Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:18 AM
BlacKSmurF is offline BlacKSmurF

Anyone else see these Angel Falls screenshots?

I completely missed seeing these. This was clearly not going to be another Delta Force game in anything but name - looks more like Joint Ops 2.

http://www.novaworld1.com/index.php/...f-angel-falls/

CryEngine 3... I'm guessing this would've been a disappointing release to us as DF fans. Their DFX series sure didn't play like the originals. The last solid DF game they released was BHD.

Looks like they'd tried a few different engines - presumably kept running into problems and ultimately ran out of money for development.

Would not be too surprised if they were shopping this around to investors at one time and were unable to find any because it looked like another generic shooter.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:16 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I did see those. The verbiage certainty made it seem like to NL game.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 09-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

After some rather thorough scrutiny it's my opinion that the screen-shots in question appear to be from different games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKSmurF View Post

Would not be too surprised if they were shopping this around to investors at one time and were unable to find any because it looked like another generic shooter.
Did you say Generic Shooter?

Well then that's just gotta be what I love. A good old generic shooter...

But DF is more than that and don't get me wrong I like games like the Arma series as well but the DF series are the only FPS games out there that are a fully open world - free roaming - shoot and scoot!

IMO The trade off now is for more blood sweat and tears but this entails smaller worlds.

Users crave more detail and animation but there's not much more to offer in any game beyond that when it comes down to it - perhaps more clever AI?

Yes, that's all good but IMO it's the unknown expanses, the scale of manoeuvrability, things like that are part of the essence of attraction, it's the total immersion that a fully open game world brings - I reckon it's the great attractor for most DF lovers.

Last edited by Guest001; 09-24-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
After some rather thorough scrutiny it's my opinion that the screen-shots in question appear to be from different games.

Generic Shooter?

Well then that's just gotta be what I love. A good old generic open world shooter...

BTW it's the only FPS out there with a fully open world - free roaming - shoot and scoot!
I meant "generic shooter" in the sense that it does not look like Delta Force or Joint Ops... though I am assuming an awful lot from the screenshots! It just looks like Far Cry 3 or Crysis's online multiplayer to me. Very pretty, but gameplay-wise, they were bland. (To be fair, with DFX/DFX2 aside, Novalogic has a stellar track record for gameplay).

I'm assuming Angel Falls wouldn't be open world since it would've been on Unreal or Crysis, which is the biggest basis for my assumption that it may not play like DF/JO.

I just saw on the same forum as the one I linked to that the owner of it had contact with NL in 2013, informing him the game was still in development. Will reach out to him to see if he knows anything.

Edit: Stompem, do you think the different games were both Novalogic? They definitely look markedly different than some of the other screenshots, so I wonder if one is in CryEngine and one is in Unreal.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

It could have been that they originally developed the game with the in-house engine, and were working in porting it to the cryengine. That could explain the difference in the screen shots.

stomp hit the nail on the head though.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 09-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKSmurF View Post
I meant "generic shooter" in the sense that it does not look like Delta Force or Joint Ops... though I am assuming an awful lot from the screenshots! It just looks like Far Cry 3 or Crysis's online multiplayer to me. Very pretty, but gameplay-wise, they were bland. (To be fair, with DFX/DFX2 aside, Novalogic has a stellar track record for gameplay).

I'm assuming Angel Falls wouldn't be open world since it would've been on Unreal or Crysis, which is the biggest basis for my assumption that it may not play like DF/JO.

I just saw on the same forum as the one I linked to that the owner of it had contact with NL in 2013, informing him the game was still in development. Will reach out to him to see if he knows anything.

Edit: Stompem, do you think the different games were both Novalogic? They definitely look markedly different than some of the other screenshots, so I wonder if one is in CryEngine and one is in Unreal.
Well I value your opinion but as far as DFX2 goes IMO it's the best - I've probably published about 40 DFX2 maps so far - go figure?

If you like you're welcome to play my maps in the DFX2 Lobby 24/7 - Server name ![GSP]
Compliments of stompem

If AF was to be open world like the others? Who knows - I personally doubt it could have been possible if they wanted to include a terrain editor - this would immediately restrict the game world size I would think.

Free flight with collisions in advanced engines is extremely top heavy. So flying and vehicles are very expensive assets to include.

Last edited by Guest001; 09-24-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Stephen is offline Stephen
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Stephen Send a message via AIM to Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to Stephen
Honestly people have moved past dead falls.... Its kinda like the duke nukem game at this point. they should scrap it all together and release something that would bring the players back and from those screen shots that is not going to do it.

"If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old 09-24-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
Well I value your opinion but as far as DFX2 goes IMO it's the best - I've probably published about 40 DFX2 maps so far - go figure?

If you like you're welcome to play my maps in the DFX2 Lobby 24/7 - Server name ![GSP]
Compliments of stompem
Wow, 40 maps is pretty incredible! Maybe I will give DFX2 a real go if you are that passionate...

I could not stand DFX1. I tried to like it, but the gunplay didn't feel like DF, and the net code felt more like JO than DF. Maybe it really soured my opinion of DFX2 .

Maybe I was sick of looking at those weapons and skins after JO, too - I simply could not get over the fact they didn't even bother to reskin the weapons aside from the M4A1.

Here are some minor reskins I did to give them a bit of character. Their JO:E weapon skins were definitely not the same level of quality as their JO:TR ones.

Last edited by BlacKSmurF; 09-24-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:18 PM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
Man, those models are just plain bad.

I think NovaLogic's nicest-looking weapons may have been back in DFLW when they were building the 3d models and then rendered them to 2d sprites.