Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 07-24-2002, 11:08 AM
Camouflage UK© is offline Camouflage UK©

This problem I had and I found out That if your graphics card does not do 32Bit Then you can see through the armory and some buildings.And if im right the Voodoo3 card only does 16bit......You can test this if you have a 32Bit card by changing the video options in dflw to 16Bit instead of 32.
And you will get the problem he is having.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:24 PM
HD135 is offline HD135

Camouflage,
"nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Series 128 bits graphics engine". The graphic card may not be whats causing it, at least in my case. I've played for awhile with this card before w/o any problems, until recently. It's also not consistent or a respector of particular maps.
That head nodding "no" is quite distracting when you are writing a reply. Feels like I'm getting caught doing something wrong. lol
Old 07-25-2002, 06:22 PM
Camouflage UK© is offline Camouflage UK©

LOL sorry about that but it does my head in to,Well like i said i have had the problem switching to 16bit in the video options of dflw.But it do sound like the same.I found that the new update affected my frame rate more than anything run ok for a while then go really jerky then run smooth again.AND I will create a new avatar just to make you happy and me lol.Oh before I get a reply to my problem I sorted it by turning off my firewall.

Makes me mad though I have just rebuilt and upgraded the system my good old 633Mhz celeron and 16meg G400 ran it better than on this thing
Old 07-26-2002, 06:16 PM
HD135 is offline HD135

Good move scrapping the nodding head!! I owe you. lol
Old 08-05-2002, 10:19 AM
machiavelli is offline machiavelli

got it too. Got a GF2 32mb.. only in scope.. but i believe it's a resolution thing. I'm not sure but i thought is appeared when i played on 640x480 res for a while

Old 08-05-2002, 05:09 PM
HD135 is offline HD135

My res is set @ 600x800. I originally started this thread on 7/7. Since that time my super powers have deminished substantially. That might be due to the fact that I'm playing mostly CQC games hence little scope action.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:40 AM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
If you set res to max and all options to max and set to 32bit then you eliminate this problem to some degree.
I have a 64Mb Geforce GTS Pro. I can run at high res if I want.

But if you do you are a numpty. You will get graphical lag even on the highest spec machines unless you are hosting.
And most of the top players do NOT play at high res precisley because of the advantage a few percent zoom in gives you.

DeltaForce has never been about eye candy and you ask StevieB how fed up he gets when people moan his maps are laggy when they play at 1024x768 32bit. (OF COURSE THEY ARE LAGGY THEN)
Keep your high res settings for SP games.
All gamers tweak their res for fastest play. You only need go look at how extensivley people have researched dumbing down the Quake3 engine for online play to see that.

Old 08-06-2002, 10:48 PM
HD135 is offline HD135

ZZ, so you play @ 640 x 480 ? I tried that res but the difference was quite noticeable for me . Maybe its my faithful but antiquated equipment or slumping eye sight. On some night maps the screen would show a faint, textured checkerboard pattern in the background. So much detail was lost that my game suffered, especially when snipering.
However, Momma didn't raise no "numpty" ( I'm assuming "numpty's are not desireable to be like) I'll give the 640/480 a go on the cqc maps and see how it works. At this point the X ray vision is a side note.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:59 PM
XenoMorpH is offline XenoMorpH

I played DFLW on a Hercules 3dProphet 64MB (KYRO2 based GFX-card). I always played on 800-600 res, terrain Detail: high, object: medium. The terrain detail was very bad (mountains) it was like a nintendo 8bit computer. But when I set the Anti-Aliasing2x vertical, the mountains were smooth, and I could see all the black dots (snipers, LOL). These were the best settings for my GFX-Card, able to spot black dots at 800meters. But now I have a GF4 ti4200, and it took me a while to find the best settings for the game, so I could see all the black dots again. There is a big difference between GFX-cards, that's for sure. People asking me; "how the hell did u see me walking over there!!I sure didn't see you " When Inshot them. Then they tell me they are playing at 1024x768 and everything high, no wonder they can't see me!!
I think ur better off playing DFLW with a minor card like TNT2, GF1or2, than with a GF3/4 or Ati Radeon.

[AMD Phenom 9850][2Gig 1066MHz DDR2 @1100MHz][ATI Radeon 4870X2][19" IIYAMA Prolite E480S Flatpanel]
Old 08-10-2002, 08:32 PM

I run at 800 x 600 as it happens and I do it so I can see the black dots the others can see.
That way on a mid to long range maps I can see the people that are seeing me.

There is a huge differnce though in PCs and how a game plays.
I went to a friends house who has a better screen and GCard than me as well as a superior sound system.
The game ran, lokked and lagged completley different on his system. and I was glad I was playing under his name as i was losing against people and on maps I would usually win.

The x-ray glitch takes away from what is actually not a very impressive graphical environment anyway and actually gives you an edge when playing.
Anyine who has watched someone climb up the ladders in the castle tower and timed an AT4 to hit the top just as they do will testify. It is also the same glitch that enables you to find where snipers are sitting in the distance on hills.

You just got to set your specs to how you enjoy playing and get as good as you can be in your environment.

Old 08-11-2002, 04:46 AM
Diamond Bullet is offline Diamond Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Diamond Bullet Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond Bullet
i play at 640 x 480 and everything high, having ben told that help u to see people in the distance . But most of the time i ccanonly see black dots at 500 600 max the rest of the time just using experience to guess where snipers would snipe. I belive this is because of the fog in tfd u cannot see forever. I still have my voodoo3 at the mo. Is there any settings i can use to help or should i just experiment. I hope u dont say the seocnd cos i cant be bothered

MSN: db_dasniper@hotmail.com

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

supplied by Nev
Old 08-11-2002, 01:21 PM
HD135 is offline HD135

"There is a huge differnce though in PCs and how a game plays.
I went to a friends house who has a better screen and GCard than me as well as a superior sound system."

Good Stuff. The relationship between equipment, connection, and performance isn't easy to pin down. I've daydreamed of an experiment involving 2 computers next to each other, 2 separate connections, and 2 players all in the same room. My suspicion has been things would look quite different on each screen. An exchange of fire involving 2 players where one dies but both thought they had won, that would really be telling. Based on what he saw, the loser of the battle can't believe the other player didn't die. Bet if you could see the victors screen it would support their win. My guess: this is what's passed off as cheating much of the time.
You would have to believe the makers of DFLW routinely conduct such experiments. Surely they already have the answers to many questions we broach in this forum. I've pondered that for a bit but the subject is worthy of a new thread.

After another brief experiment I found 800 x 600 res for dflw definitely works best on my system.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Diamond Bullet Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond Bullet
hmm well im out to do some testing then

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

supplied by Nev
Old 08-12-2002, 05:57 AM

Most accusations of cheating have there basis in lag.
On our squad we have people playing at 56k and 1 meg, ISDN and ADSL.
Most of our squad know how thier system works and adjust their aim accordingly. However it is a real pain in the backside playing against someone on 56k who is a crack shot because they have learned to compensate.
One of our players really takes advantage of his slow connection and bounces about all over the place. He appears to warp about the map and sometimes you can visibly see blood splats before he dissappears and you suddenly die.
Now I have known the fella for a long time now and I know he doesn't cheat.
On occasion he plays on his friends ADSL and then he can't warp, sometimes forgets the lag lead is different and plays like an utter numpty.
However he gets accused of cheating ALL THE TIME.
One trick a good 56k player can pull off is bouncing behind the lip of hills. To anyone on any other connection including 56k it is entirely possible that your shot goes off as far as they are concerned when you are behind the hill.
Most people start moaning about aimbots then.
Its is of course possible to get a scream of cheat from the 56k bouncer too.
Many times I have hit someone as they approach the top of the hill but they are behind it again on their system before their PC gets enough info from the web to tell them they are dead.
Best of all is when people come into my server and accuse me of cheating.
When you serve you have an effective ping of 0 and so look and kill becomes a real possibility. And in fact the hardest part is learning to no fire just ahead of a player to win the kill.
Most genuine cheats are very easy to spot.
Fast Running, high jumping, auto nade or auto .50 are all easy spotted and avoided, ignored or bemoaned.
I would guess 90% of aimbot or invulnerability accusations are based on the fact that the accuser has little experience, knowledge or nouse of how internet games work.

Old 08-12-2002, 06:06 AM

Quote:
I would guess 90% of aimbot or invulnerability accusations are based on the fact that the accuser has little experience, knowledge or nouse of how internet games work.

Totally right. Sadly it happens too often nowadays.

supplied by Nev
Old 08-13-2002, 11:11 AM

Always quite good fun trying to explain the concept of spawn armour to a n00b in the heat of a 16 player CQB too ...

LOL

Old 08-13-2002, 11:47 PM
HD135 is offline HD135

"He appears to warp about the map ......."
When I see a player moving from point A to point D, visually appearing as if they have skipped B and C, that's a player with a slower (56K) connection? I've played maps with a lot of knife action where players moved in this fashion. It sure seemed they were moving awful fast. So how does a person with a fast connection appear to a 56K player?
"One of our players really takes advantage of his slow connection"
Connection speed isn't all its cracked up to be if you know how to compensate properly? Do I have that right? In another thread a person commented on a very good player who had a 56K conn. If they switched to a faster conn. they would get more kills but actually die more. Bear with me. I'm sure this is all correct but is a bit hard to grasp. I always assumed that faster = better. And I think for the most part that is still generally correct. I'm obviously missing a few parts of information that tie this thing together. Can you expound on this just a bit. If what you say is true about the relationship between lag and calls of cheat, it would be good for all the forum readers to have a better understanding of this subject. The good news is you can do it at your leisure and not in the heat of battle. lol
Old 08-14-2002, 02:56 AM

Its kind hard to explain(well for me) your generally got the right idea about faster = more kills but more deaths i played 56k a long time shooting bout 20 yard infront of peeps all the time lol (sniper) But with cable i do not have to compensate AS MUCH u must still compensate for what the other guys got. I believe ZZ has explained 56k quite well. If a 56k player has say 2 secs lag then u will always see them where they were 2 secs ago but the lag does change so thats why they appear to warp around. It is the same with a 56k player using forced ci (i wont explain thi just in case) so the player think he is eg just standing there or still moving in same direction but when this 56k player has the ci he moves behind u stops the ci and stabs u B4 HE LOSES THE SERVER. It can be very infuriating when this happens becos it is very difficult to prove. Whats to say it wasnt a regualr ci. This is happening more and more often in squad matches. My squad has run into it, I believe once but there was no way of proving it so no point in accusing. I hope i have explained this well enough for some of the n00bs to the game to understand. And for all u to understand

supplied by Nev
Old 08-14-2002, 05:34 PM

The thing with ping is faster is a better thing but ping and things is not the only thing.

Imagine you have lag in real life and you are driving a car.
You are two seconds behind the real world.
Suddenly a guy pulls out onto the road in front.
You think you are going to hit him but you forget that he is two seconds ahead of you and has already pulled to saftey.

Now imagine the same situation with no lag. You see the car pull in front and you hit it dead on! POW!

A fast connection is a lower lag connection which means if you get your aim right you are likley to hit people dead on.
It also means that if people fire at you you are likley to be hit dead on.
The reason is that the game plays in real time and everyone else is slightly behind depending on their speed of connection.
Me on my 1 meg play at about 20-40 microseconds behind the game. A 56ker might be anything up to 250 microseconds.
It is also the reason why most hosts will leather anyone in their server because they have an effective ping of 0. If they shoot right its deadly everytime.

Now imagine that you are on 56k. You are used to being a few microseconds behind everyone else in the real world of time.
You have become proficient in watching a players movements and realising that if you send you bullet a few feet ahead then by the time your bullet reaches that point (a little behind the targest time) then so will the opponent and BOOM they are dead.

When a good 56K player hits a fast connection, initialy they will suck because they are used to aiming ahead only this time the bullets whizz in front because you have not managed to synchronise your "lag lead" with the connection.

For me it takes about 10-15 minutes hard action in a stable server to figure my lag lead some can do it instantly some never see it and so never manage.

The problem a 56K player has is that whilst playing on a modem it is very easy to avoid being shot.
1) you are not where you appear to be and by quite a substantial margin.
2) it is very easy for a competent 56Ker to do what is called Forced Lag. This is when they perform so many manouevuers ie jumping, proning (a nightmare when you could jump from prone), runing, stopping in quick succesion that the information they give to the game cannot come fast enough over their paltry connections and so the game compenstaes and you get a frame by frame view of what they are doing often with frames missing (hence warp).

What you then find is that when they do get a faster connection their forced lag tactics (if they employ them) or there natural ability of not being where they appear to be on the map is now gone and they often take a much longer time to learn to avoid being shot than they did before.

Hence higher kills and higher deaths.

As a general rule faster is better in ALL online games. Certainley in Quake3 I found high ping wins.
This is not always the case in DF because of the clever way they have designed the mechanics of the game. (thats why it isn as pretty to look at as say MOHAA or RTCW)
The great thing about DF is that if you cocentrate, pay attention and learn you can be a great player on 56K as well as super fast DSL.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:47 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Isn't this suppose to be an X-ray vision discussion??

And yes Zzz, faster is better

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1