Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 03-23-2005, 03:55 AM
.DareDevil. is offline .DareDevil.

Send a message via ICQ to .DareDevil. Send a message via AIM to .DareDevil. Send a message via Yahoo to .DareDevil.
War Veterans Rememberance? What War did you Serve?

Im still young lol like im 16 years old. My great great grandpa served on the Island i forgot its on Pearl Harbor Movie where we went to fight the japs anyways he had just got off the island when they had blown the sh*t outta it!!!

<=CP=> Forums
www.phpbbplanet.com/camouflagedp

Free PHPBB Forums
www.phpbbplanet.com

<=CP=> Teamspeak IP
209.190.31.155:5001

Free Teamspeak Server
http://www.going-live.com/vb/index.php?

Old 03-23-2005, 04:05 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

To be homest bro I don't think most ex-servicemen and women like to remember what kind of hell they went through as in most cases they will have lost close friends in combat.

To all those servicemen and women who are currently serving in the danger spots around the world may I say as an ex soldier may God be with you and come home safe.

Regards
Old 03-23-2005, 05:08 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
i cover from 1982-1984 i can't name it but i am a Member of American Legion, only i can't name the mission or the action i was part of in this time frame. sorry can't name it.

but if you know any history you may know of something in 1982-84 that happen and may make a good guess.

I server the US-Army from: 1977 till: 1987

and yes i am a war time vet do to the action i have taken part of.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 03-23-2005, 07:25 AM
.Simon. is offline .Simon.

my grandad did service out in egypt on the police force or summit lk that. nothing big happened though. a few robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
next person to post half naked gets banned
Old 03-23-2005, 12:52 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
My grandpa served in Panama during WWII. They guarded the locks I guess. That guy was awesome

His bro went to africa and italy and the other one was in Navy so he went everywhere.

Quote:
***My grandpa served in Panama during WWIII***
I am a moron there was no WWIII!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:28 PM
NaughtyPerry is offline NaughtyPerry
Banned

well i started in WW1, Eliminated all, Moved to WW2 ( CoD ) then moved up towards present day, served time in somalia and vietnam (DFBHD/Conflict Vietnam) and soon to be called up for BF2
Old 03-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
Memorial Day: (excerpt from Warrior Culture of the U.S. Marines, copyright 2001 Marion F. Sturkey)

The first Decoration Day was 30 May 1868, three years after the end of the American Civil War. Gen. John A. Logan, U.S. Army, commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, initiated the day of remembrance. He ordered that all Army posts decorate the graves of fallen Civil War comrades with flowers and a "suitable ceremony," and that flags be flown at half mast until noon.

Decoration Day later got a new name, Memorial Day. On this day the nation now honors those killed-in-action from all branches of the armed forces. This day of honor has been further expanded to include all wars and conflicts in which American servicemen have made the Supreme Sacrifice for their country. And, in a solemn ceremony, a wreath is laid at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (more about that later).

Since the late 1950s on the Thursday before Memorial Day, the U.S. Army has placed small American flags at each of the quarter-million-plus graves in Arlington National Cemetery. The Army also stands guard in the cemetery through Memorial Day to ensure that the flags remain in place.

In 1968 (the height of the hippie and flower power generation), Congress changed the observance date from 30 May to the last Monday in May. However, in 1999 bills were introduced in both the House of Representatives and the Senate, proposing restoration of 30 May as the day of observance.

According to tradition, Memorial Day is observed by placing flowers or small flags on the graves of American servicemen who have fallen in battle. Americans are encouraged to visit military memorials and to fly flags at half mast until noon. They also are asked to fly the relatively new "POW/MIA" flag, per the 1998 Defense Authorization Act. Further, all Americans are asked to participate in a "Moment of Remembrance" at 3:00 pm and pledge to aid the families of the honored dead.

In some of the southern states, in addition to the national Memorial Day, citizens also observe Confederate Memorial Day. On this day they honor the Confederate soldiers, sailors, and Marines who died in battle during the Civil War, 1861-1865. Since this is a state holiday, each state may select its day of observance. Confederate Memorial Day is observed in Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi on April 26; in South Carolina and North Carolina on May 10; in Alabama on the last Monday in April; in Virginia on May 30; in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Louisiana on June 3 (the birthday of Jefferson Davis); and in Texas on January 19 (the birthday of Gen. Robert E. Lee).

-------------------------------------------

Veterans Day: (excerpt from Warrior Culture of the U.S. Marines, copyright 2001 Marion F. Sturkey)

After four years of carnage in Europe, the giant cannon finally fell silent. At 11:00 am on 11 November 1918 (the eleventh hour, of the 11th day, of the eleventh month) the Allies and Germany signed an armistice. The Great War, The World War, The War to End War mercifully ended. The whole world rejoiced. Thereafter the eleventh day of November became Armistice Day in most of the western world. In Canada it became known as Remembrance Day.

In the United States, Congress officially recognized Armistice Day in 1926. Twelve years later it became a national holiday. Unfortunately, three decades and two wars later America realized that world order had been equally preserved by veterans of World War II and the Korean War. So, in 1954 Dwight D. Eisenhower, U.S. President, signed an act which changed the name of Armistice Day to Veterans Day.

In 1968 (the flower-power generation was hard at work again) Congress changed the day of observance to the fourth Monday in October. Veterans Day had temporarily become just another long three-day weekend. The reason for the holiday had been forgotten by many. Fortunately, the public outcry rose steadily over the next ten years. Finally bowing to public pressure, Congress reversed itself in 1978. The eleventh day of November again became the day on which Americans observe Veterans Day.

By law, Veterans Day is set aside to honor our nation's military veterans both living and dead, who served in time of war. The focal point for national observance is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery. At 11:00 am on 11 November, a color guard that includes all military services executes "Present Arms." The President of the United States lays a wreath upon the tomb, steps back, and salutes. A bugler plays Taps. A grateful nation has not forgotten.
-------------------------------------------

-troj

••• 26th MEUSOC 940311 93-95MySpace •••
Old 03-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
WHO ARE THE HEROES?

A high school senior in Ohio, Adrienne, got an English class assignment. She had to research and write a thesis. And, she could pick her topic.

Adrienne dipped back into our Nation's history. She reached back to a time before she was born, back to a time of national turmoil, back to the time of the war in Vietnam. Today, that long-ago conflict is a mere footnote in her history books. Who fought? Why? Who survived? Who died? Who were the heroes?

From her Nation's long struggle during the war in Vietnam, Adrienne picked her topic: WHO ARE THE HEROES?

An exhaustive search began. As part of her research, young Adrienne posted a notice on the web-site of the USMC Vietnam Helicopter Association. For the Marine Corps helicopter crews who flew and fought in Vietnam, she asked: "Who are the heroes?"

The many responses included an e-mail reply from Marion Sturkey, a Marine Corps helicopter pilot in Vietnam. He wrote not of glory and valor. He never mentioned anything he did, or tried to do. Instead, he wrote of basic human virtues: commitment, loyalty, brotherly love, and a cause greater than self. His reply to a young American schoolgirl is quoted below, verbatim:

March 6, 2001

Adrienne:

I understand you are researching a project about heroism during the war in Vietnam. I commend you for the extent of your research.

"Who are the heroes?" you ask. I had the privilege of knowing many heroes during my time in Vietnam in 1966-1967. But, I doubt they are the type of men you would recognize as such. They were simply common men. Actually, "boys" would be more accurate with regard to many of them. They were not the "Follow Me!" type you may have seen in the movies. I have never heard any of them call themselves brave, although I witnessed what you would call bravery on a daily basis.

So, who are the heroes? They were the men (or "boys," many just a year or so older than yourself) who believed in each other, who relied on each other, and who sacrificed for each other. They were bound together by simple loyalty to their fellow Marines, their friends. They shared an unspoken trust and responsibility. Each knew that no matter how grave his peril, his friends would try to save him. They might fail and lose their own lives in the attempt. But, we all knew that they would try. We each had the same obligation. When one of our friends was in peril, we had to try, despite the danger. We had no choice. That was the pact we made. That was our code.

Heroes were soft-spoken men like Jim McKay, a helicopter gunner. Jim had survived his scheduled time in combat and was scheduled to fly home on the night of August 8, 1966. But, that night he learned that four of his friends were cut off, surrounded, fighting for their lives in the dark. Jim refused to leave Vietnam. He volunteered to fly on a rescue mission. His helicopter was shot down.

Heroes were men like Joe Roman, a helicopter pilot. On January 26, 1967, he answered the plea for help from Marines trapped on a ridge in Laos. They warned him of the danger, but he disregarded the warning and flew down to attempt a rescue. He, too, got shot down. Wounded in the head and buttocks, he survived. But, he never talked about it afterwards. When questioned, he would shrug and say that it was "nothing anyone else wouldn't do." He was right. Incidentally, Joe died last year. I attended his internment in Arlington National Cemetery.

There were thousands of such heroes. I am honored to have had the privilege to have served with them. Simply stated, they believed in a cause greater than themselves. They believed in each other. They knew the danger, but they also knew their responsibility and their code. They shared a brotherly love that no earthly circumstance can shatter. They, along with the 58,000-plus names on The Wall in Washington, DC, are true heroes.

The heroes who survived are now in their fifties or sixties. You know them as fathers, uncles, neighbors, maybe teachers. They have jobs and families. They pay taxes and make our society function. They don't label themselves as heroes. Yet, they are American Patriots in every sense of the words. And, deep down inside, they still maintain that undying brotherly love for the men with whom they served in Vietnam, thirty years or so ago. Without question, they are your heroes.

I hope the foregoing will be of assistance to you.

Warmest regards,

Marion Sturkey

Adrienne got many such responses. In appreciation, she titled her thesis with the motto of the USMC Vietnam Helicopter Association: "Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni" (Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever). In her thesis she quoted text from the book, "BONNIE-SUE: A Marine Corps Helicopter Squadron in Vietnam." She noted that, even today, "Marines religiously state 'Semper Fidelis' at the closing of letters and e-mails" sent to each other. As Adrienne now knows, the code is still alive and well.

Adrienne submitted her thesis. On May 1, 2001, she got the verdict. She joyfully posted another notice on the helicopter association web-site. Her notice begins: "Hey, Y'all . . . it received an 'A' with flying colors!"

Adrienne, who plans to attend the University of Akron, added: "This has been the most beneficial project of my high school career. I learned the most I ever could have, and will take so much with me for the rest of my life."

-troj

••• 26th MEUSOC 940311 93-95MySpace •••
Old 03-23-2005, 11:29 PM
JonM is offline JonM

my pops served...he loved the military
Old 03-28-2005, 03:53 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief ADFP
i cover from 1982-1984 i can't name it but i am a Member of American Legion, only i can't name the mission or the action i was part of in this time frame. sorry can't name it.

but if you know any history you may know of something in 1982-84 that happen and may make a good guess.

I server the US-Army from: 1977 till: 1987

and yes i am a war time vet do to the action i have taken part of.
Zaire?

My photography website

Old 03-28-2005, 04:54 AM
katana*GFR* is offline katana*GFR*

Send a message via ICQ to katana*GFR* Send a message via MSN to katana*GFR*
Grandpas of mine, WW2 Resistance.
My dad As UNIFIL in Libanon
I myself in Iraq, 2004.

Quite a history in the family.

To all who are still out there or fight there own battle to get over the horrible thoughts, good luck guys and girls be safe.

Found on Youtube:
Quote:
And if Newton Faulkner's voice can be described as "R&B" then Kurt Cobain must be a member of Boyz II Men.
Link here
Old 03-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
this is WW-III
this war can last for next 20yrs

terrorist are a larger group of freelance fighter, who are fighting world wide. they kill anyone who is not for them and make up any reason they like to say it was in the right to kill them. they don't live by any sets of rules or country's to fight for. they in most part are like monkeys with C-4 they go boom in the dark, not knowing they kill good or bad, they kill all for the hell of it sad thing they have kill baby's, women, their own countrymen who most part have no then to do with them at all.

they can be any were or any place in the world, sad thing they can be liven down the street from you, you will not even know who they are.

old days and some place people use tobe tight-net groups of people who use to know who each other is and really good when some one needed a helping hand, now days people single minded and don't even what be good neighbor with each other.

Quote:
Originally posted by atholon
My grandpa served in Panama during WWII. They guarded the locks I guess. That guy was awesome

His bro went to Africa and Italy and the other one was in Navy so he went everywhere.

I am a moron there was no WWIII!
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 03-28-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:59 AM
"ath-hole"

Awesome story Troj.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:01 AM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

I wouldn't call current war as WW3 ... YET!

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 03-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Spazz is offline Spazz

Send a message via AIM to Spazz
my grandfather was one of the lucky 175,000 men who stormed the beaches of Norway. He did survive it..but he got shot 3 times
Old 03-28-2005, 10:06 AM
"ath-hole"

Hahaha,
Old 03-28-2005, 03:15 PM
SilentSniper is offline SilentSniper

Send a message via AIM to SilentSniper
my grandpa's served in WW2 in Pacfic, and my great grandpa was a Major or something under Patton(dunno his rank but was highish?)