Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Novahq.net Specific > News

News News and comment posting for the main page. Use this forum to submit your news.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:27 AM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
Trying to decide if I believe this email posted on DF Arena is legit:

Quote:
Dear Mr. xxxxxx,

We have never forgotten our fans. This is why we have been working very long hours for several years to bring you a totally new experience and a game that won't disappoint.

We are very close to officially starting Beta testing the "Angel Falls" project (we will be looking for a fair number of testers). We are currently at Alpha, and our current focus is game-play.

I can tell you that this game plays better than any product we have ever created and we will keep on refining it until its release later this year. If you liked DF and Joint Ops, you will like Angel Falls. Managing communications with the fans is a tricky proposition, and I will not be responding again through this e-mail, but feel free to pass this on.

Thank you for your loyalty.

Sincerely,

John A. Garcia

CEO

NovaLogic,Inc.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:36 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKSmurF View Post
I wonder, though, if a graphically overhauled BHD would sell? Almost no other changes made aside from graphics... would it do well?
COD does that every year and it sells

Quote:
Originally Posted by --BulletMagnet-- View Post
F22L3Comments@novalogic.com

Has anyone tried that email? Maybe there's a slight chance they would check that one since it's regarding the June update.
I have thought about it but have not tried that one..

Quote:
Trying to decide if I believe this email posted on DF Arena is legit:
I've wondered that many times too, as it was some "anonymous" fan that got the response.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 09-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

I figure its legit, even if the annon user was a NL employee...

IIRC MajorHeadache actually went to NL way back and met with a bunch of people, which would explain why if NL did post that they would at DFA...

That or we're overthinking it...
Old 09-04-2015, 08:59 AM
BlacKSmurF is offline BlacKSmurF

That email is definitely legit, Novalogic posted it on the official news/announcements section of Novaworld back in 2011. See here. Since then, a number of things have happened, including the failed lawsuit with Activision, which some speculated was a last ditch effort for funding. Apparently not, as they're still around updating 16 year old flight sims...

Wonder if MajorHeadache is any more in the loop about things than us? May be worth giving him a shout. I figured he just pulled the info from NovaWorld.

BulletMagnet, I have also thought about emailing that F22 address. I guess there's no harm in trying it. I figured if the CEO didn't respond, no one else will have permission to discuss it due to NDAs.

Scott - excellent point about CoD

Bullet - what would you do with the source code if you had it?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:02 AM
DF2 Forever

Quote:
Bullet - what would you do with the source code if you had it?
My chief focus would be fixing the multiplayer component to have a working lobby again. There are also critical multiplayer bugs like the choppy AI/vehicles which would be wonderful to fix. I could also finish my driveable vehicles mod.

After that, I'd focus on completing the game, i.e. implementing the features they only left traces of, such as extra weapon slots, throwing knives, and climbing gear.

I need to stop drooling over the idea, though. Even if they still have the source code, it's hopeless due to the legal issues with third party libraries and such.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:08 PM

Yeah, if they had just released mod tools, I'm sure you could do all of that on your own. If you had the engine, you'd have to create your own assets, and it may not really feel like DF anymore.

Have you tried modding new games? Ever thought about making one in the vein of Delta Force?

It is painful to think of how much money Novalogic missed out on. It's baffling they only had one expansion pack per game and that they took so long to release each one. There are so many ways they could've released multiple expansion packs without fragmenting the community.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:21 PM
DF2 Forever

Quote:
Have you tried modding new games? Ever thought about making one in the vein of Delta Force?

It is painful to think of how much money Novalogic missed out on. It's baffling they only had one expansion pack per game and that they took so long to release each one. There are so many ways they could've released multiple expansion packs without fragmenting the community.
I've tried modding a few games. I still enjoy it, but the challenge has essentially been removed now that official modding tools are a standard. I enjoyed the challenge back in the day of modding games like DF/DF2 that were essentially unmoddable out of the box. I also enjoyed knowing the names of almost everyone in the modding community.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:25 PM
DF2 Forever

Quote:
They didn't understand how to listen to fans. That will always be cited as their cause of death. They were innovative but lacked the other skills and leadership to keep up. Also, the DLC model didn't really explode until several years after NovaLogic's time.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
They didn't understand how to listen to fans. That will always be cited as their cause of death. They were innovative but lacked the other skills and leadership to keep up. Also, the DLC model didn't really explode until several years after NovaLogic's time.
You are absolutely right. Hell, look at them now... we are emailing the CEO and get nothing. We are sitting around discussing engine licensing, something that could potentially make them money, and I am sure they have absolutely zero interest in it.

Quote:
I've tried modding a few games. I still enjoy it, but the challenge has essentially been removed now that official modding tools are a standard. I enjoyed the challenge back in the day of modding games like DF/DF2 that were essentially unmoddable out of the box. I also enjoyed knowing the names of almost everyone in the modding community.
Interesting - did you do a lot of programming (tool creation & stuff)? I was either over at DF Seals or Mod Depot as Black Ice and didn't start modding until BHD, so I don't think we crossed paths too much.

Would you be open to making a DF-inspired indie game one day? It's not something on my radar at this moment, just more curious than anything
Old 09-04-2015, 04:11 PM
DF2 Forever

Quote:
Interesting - did you do a lot of programming (tool creation & stuff)? I was either over at DF Seals or Mod Depot as Black Ice and didn't start modding until BHD, so I don't think we crossed paths too much.
I didn't do a lot of BHD work. I was almost solely focused on DF2 as far as modding goes. I did program a few tools for it, but they were written back when I was first learning programming. I'm a full-time software developer now, so I wish I had these skills back then.

Quote:
Would you be open to making a DF-inspired indie game one day? It's not something on my radar at this moment, just more curious than anything
I'd be interested. Games are massive undertaking, so it's difficult to say how interested. I'd probably only be useful for the programming side of things since I have no interest/experience in asset creation.

Another thing I'm interested in is making a WWII mod for one of the DF games. It's always been my dream for some reason to make a WWII mod. I got really close for DF2 and then lost all of my work during a reformat which I still hate myself for.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:53 AM

Theoretically, I could do the modeling, texturing, and level design (though I'm dreading just the thought of having to bump map textures). I could purchase the animations and sounds. I understand that Unreal 4 already has the framework set up for team vs team. Still missing interface, programming, particle effects, environments, and net code. Not sure what else I am forgetting at the moment, but I'm sure it's a ton.

In DF related news, I unearthed some of my old BHD maps this weekend... I realized a bunch of the ones I was working on were only 90% complete, and only one or two are worth finishing. I began working on them ten years ago! How time flies.

My Ethernet port on my PC is messed up, so I'm in the process of getting a replacement running for our DF weekend soon. The PC is from 2004, stunned that most of it still works. I'm sure you guys can curate the DF2 maps I will find some solid BHD maps for us if you guys are still down for it.

Maybe a DF2 event on a Friday or Saturday towards the end of September?
Old 09-19-2015, 12:27 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I think BulletMagnet needs to get to work on that WWII mod ... I've been hosting DF1 (for a couple days) and DF2 the last few weeks and it gets quite a few players still.. There are people wanting to play these games, it's just the broken lobby for 4+ years really hurt them. Plus people don't know how to join games...

If you guys want to play BHD I can host one of those too. But there are probably more busy BHD servers to play in.... DF1 and DF2 have little to no dedicated servers. This (and every) Sunday there is a DF1 event where they try and get a full 16+ player server. The lobby patch has already helped that a ton this week as I've personally played with 14 or so others this week already on a weeknight. I'm not sure 16 players for DF1 is going to be a problem this weekend. If you see NOVAHQ playing, that's me in DF1 or DF2. Unless he's sucking, then it's an imposter

Old 10-02-2015, 01:21 AM
yahman is offline yahman

Was fun playing DF1 last sunday, I got in late but there were a few people there to play. the game is still fun though the graphics looked bad in comparison to modern games. I used to like the graphics and thought the walls disappearing was even cool. hehe

Really fell in love with DF1 and the games I play today do not have that appeal, first love is the strongest I guess. They really had a knack for making a game fun. I play COD Ghosts and it is fun but not on that level. BHD and Landwarrior to an extent were also very fun.

If they ever release Angel Falls I think they can strike magic again if they try. Does not look like that will happen but you can dream.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:50 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Hi yahman, we play every Sunday at 1PM CST. Look for the games in the lobby . This weekend we might be testing a new stats program. If you're on the Facebook group you can find out when other games are playing. They spawn all the time. http://bit.ly/groupdf