Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 08-27-2010, 03:53 PM
RedrumSalad is offline RedrumSalad
"dalasmurdeR"

Overclocking

Hey guys, I have been having kinda low performance with ARMA 2 (who woulda guessed?) and i got nTune (a clocking program from nVidia) and was wondering: who knows how to correctly overclock or just boost the performance of my nVidia Geforce 9500GT using nTune? i did try the "fine tune" option that takes 3 hours, but it crashes my computer...a lot (it said that it will crash and "hang" but will resume upon reboot) and 3 hours later it was only 20 minutes in

so i wanted to manually clock it, and decided to see if anybody here knows how to

Thanks

Some say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire, well I say the best weapon is the one you only have to fire once, thats how i do it, thats how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - General George S. Patton

"Heroes are remembered, but legends never die" - The Sandlot

Whatever doesn't kill you hurts like a bitch.

R.I.P Murphy
September 10, 1995 - April 21, 2010
Old 08-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Talk to Steve hes pretty good with overclocking.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 08-28-2010, 03:42 AM
.Simon. is offline .Simon.

If you don't have one or haven't already done it, but a fan for your gpu ;P I've looked into overclocking a few times and temperatures seem like the biggest limitation. Airflow is importatnt for performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
next person to post half naked gets banned
Old 08-28-2010, 08:02 AM
"dalasmurdeR"

the only thing i've messed with is the GPU settings. idk how GPU demanding ARMA 2 is, but i did notice quite a bit less lag when i messed with it....then, unfortunately, an error occured when i was in a battle i set up, causing the display to change weird colors. it happened in the middle of another battle in the same session i was playing, i pressed ctrl+alt+delete, then went back to the game and it fixed it. but the second time, it didn't work and as i rebooted my computer it said that the system has recovered from a serious error.

oh, and steve, if you look at this thread, please help

Some say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire, well I say the best weapon is the one you only have to fire once, thats how i do it, thats how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - General George S. Patton

R.I.P Murphy
Old 08-29-2010, 01:02 PM
"dalasmurdeR"

I tried an automatic "Coarse tuning" yesterday, and it saved a prfoile called "best setting"...it f***ed up the display so i had to do a system recovery to the day before

someone please help.

just in case, here's a picture of the summary of my computer in "Speccy":

R.I.P Murphy
Old 08-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
PFffff windows xp

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 08-29-2010, 02:05 PM
"dalasmurdeR"

haha, shut up. its the only windows os that i like lol

R.I.P Murphy
Old 08-31-2010, 04:29 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
yeah arma is a bit of a bitch on the system, it's hungry for whatever you have cpu, gpu, ram, hard disk.

i think it's more dependant on CPU if i remember correctly, i have an ok system but struggle a bit with arma, the guys with quad cores seem to be having a better time.

arma has an interesting feature, it streams textures off your hard drive only when it needs them but i think this causes a lot of problems for players, it would be pretty handy to have arma installed on a different drive i would think.

ive never been into overclocking the gfx card because ive never seen that much gains and have borked the memory on more than one card

if it screws up the memory it starts to look like this: http://i28.tinypic.com/2vct7ac.jpg
http://attachments.techguy.org/attac...pt-display.jpg

but dont worry to omuch, just take it easy and push up the speeds slowly... yeah it's a pain in the ass but hey not as much as a dead gfx card.

grab gpuz: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ it will tell you everything you need to know about your card and a ton of things you dont.

here's a guide for nvid overclocking, ok it's a differeent card, but the software is the same, http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...rclock-guide/2

plenty of youtube guides which seem to be pretty good these days compaired to pages of text.

overclocking phenom x4 http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom...g-masterclass/
Old 08-31-2010, 10:06 AM
"dalasmurdeR"

OK Steve, thanks. I'll look into overclocking Phenom x4, because i don't have a problem with my current graphics

EDIT: woah woah...liquid nitrogen!?! bulls**t!

EDIT (again): OK, thanks Steve, i got it at 2.7ghz from the previous 2.3ghz

R.I.P Murphy

Last edited by RedrumSalad; 08-31-2010 at 06:52 PM.