Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 01-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Confused Activision Games Multiplayer Problem

Activision Games Multiplayer Problem

Guys, I had a thread about Call of Duty Multiplayer and had problems and I cannot find a server in the list so I found out that the patch for it probably will not work. It says it needs to be a valid install of Call of Duty but the game was loaded from the hard drive anyway and the disc I do not have.

When I played Return to Castle Wolfenstein the same problem occured and even no servers in the list anyway.
I have no idea, the key is valid, and I selected Internet from the list and it should find a server, I selected connection
to 28.8k so it should do some good, and both games support 28.8k as well.

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 01-08-2006, 04:11 PM
.DareDevil. is offline .DareDevil.

Send a message via ICQ to .DareDevil. Send a message via AIM to .DareDevil. Send a message via Yahoo to .DareDevil.
If you did a manual install meanin you copied and pasted the files over instead of doing how you would normally do it when installing the thread below should help you!

I now remember when i did a manual install a few times i had to do whats stated in link below!It should work after that cause it worked for me!

https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-...i=&p_topview=1

or just read below in the thread were replying to!

If you performed a manual install of the game you will need to do the following.

This answer is for an Advanced user. Please do not attempt the below solution if you are not comfortable editing the Registry. Damaging the Registry could result in very adverse effects to your system. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

You will need to manually create a registry entry for Call of Duty before you can install the patch. For this to work you must have installed to the default directory (c:\program files\call of duty).

1) Click Start, then Run.
2) At the prompt type "REGEDIT".
3) Click the "+" next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
4) Click the "+" next to SOFTWARE.
5) If you see an Activision folder go to step 8.
6) Right-click on the Software folder and select New, then Key.
7) Name the new folder Activision.
8) Right-click on the Activision folder and select New, then Key.
9) Name the new folder Call of Duty.
10 Select the Call of Duty folder.
11) In the right window pane right-click and select New, then String Value.
12) Name the value "InstallPath" without the quotes.
13) Open the InstallPath string value by double-clicking on it.
14) In the Value data field type "c:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1" (without the quotes) then click OK.
15) In the right window pane right-click and select New, then String Value.
16) Name the value "Version" without the quotes.
17) Open the Version string value by double-clicking on it.
18) In the Value data field type "1.1" (without the quotes) if you have the original release of the game. If you have the Game of the Year edition type "1.3.1" (without the quotes)

If completed properly you will have a key named "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Activision\Call of Duty". This key will have a string value named InstallPath with a data value of c:\PROGRA~1\CALLOF~1 and a string value named Version with a value of 1.1/1.3.1.

Before the patch will install you must make sure you have entered a cd key for the game. Launch the multiplayer portion of the game. Click on multiplayer options. Click on the "Enter CD Key" button to enter your cd key.

You can now install the patch normally.

Also if you are depending on getting 1.6 i forgot where i got it!I think i got it off FilePlanet Forums or something i will get back to you but for now try 1.5!

<=CP=> Forums
www.phpbbplanet.com/camouflagedp

Free PHPBB Forums
www.phpbbplanet.com

<=CP=> Teamspeak IP
209.190.31.155:5001

Free Teamspeak Server
http://www.going-live.com/vb/index.php?

Last edited by .DareDevil.; 01-08-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:05 PM

Just Playing

Just Playing

I want to play Multiplayer withour the patch though.

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 01-08-2006, 06:02 PM
JonM is offline JonM

u have to get the patch to play multi player for call of duty...
Old 01-08-2006, 06:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to .DareDevil. Send a message via AIM to .DareDevil. Send a message via Yahoo to .DareDevil.
Yea as for the info i just posted earlier i forgot to tell u cause internet messed up and is now back up for me that u need to change the parts where it says 1.3 and 1.1 to ur version cause that was for 1.3 but it works the same if u put 1.5 for it

For Example
18) In the Value data field type "1.1" (without the quotes) if you have the original release of the game. If you have the Game of the Year edition type "1.3.1" (without the quotes)

Where it says 1.3.1 and all that its displaying the games version so u can put whatever version u update to by patch there!

<=CP=> Forums

Free PHPBB Forums
www.phpbbplanet.com

<=CP=> Teamspeak IP

Free Teamspeak Server

Old 01-10-2006, 10:58 PM

Got The Main Thing

Got The Main Thing

Well, I did the registry thing and the patch was installed correctly but still no servers shown.

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Old 01-12-2006, 02:58 PM

Ok you will probaly need to download GameSpy it should be safe software i have used it alot over the years for some games you wouldnt know had Multiplayer!Some games you dont think would have it do i mean look at James Bond 007 Nightfire!Would you believe it has online Multiplayer?Reason i know its got to be safe not just cause i say but on the back of a bunch of games like CoD it has a GameSpy label meaning you can use it through GameSpy!GameSpy is a part of FilePlanet and its helpful for alot of games!Anyways heres the link to games it supports theres tons!

http://www.gamespyarcade.com/games/

Main Page www.gamespyarcade.com

Also im not sure how many games this is for but i do know like ive stated in many other threads im not so sure about this utility for gaming or what games it supports but i recommend gamespy!Theres this utility called Game Launcher this gamign squad i thnk it was CoD anyways they used it for connection to games which may only work for less of what GameSpy does but its located at www.serverspy.net/site/gamelauncher

Although i do know you can use GameSpy on a Free Deal when signing up for a free account!Some memberships are paid meaning they get more!Wasnt too much more i needed then what was on a free membership when i used it!

Also heres the Squads site in case you want to game with them sometime on COD they may play COD 2
www.phantombrigade.us

<=CP=> Forums

Free PHPBB Forums
www.phpbbplanet.com

<=CP=> Teamspeak IP

Free Teamspeak Server

Old 01-12-2006, 05:05 PM

To Visor

To Visor

I downloaded the 1.5 Patch and I found 1000 to 1400 servers, but when I join it says the serial is in use.
I does not really matter though, I know two keys and both are valid but I think the were registered over the net by someone, that was from a friend that game, and it was not a valid install even if I did the registry thing, but thanks for helping anyway though.

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Old 01-16-2006, 02:48 PM

I also need a few questions answered to make sure im doing everything right!

1. CoD 1 is the game your having trouble with?
2,Are you using GameSpyArcade to join or what?
3.After installing 1.5 did you try renentering your cd key?

Ok i need to know that information

-NOTE-
Ok now if your friend or the guy who gave you game has registered that cd key in his player name, then no you cant until he logins to his account and deletes his account for the game!You cant have 2 accoutns with same CD Key!

I found this article at Activision Support also!

Be sure that your computer is not behind a software or hardware firewall of any kind. This includes firewalls built into routers or other equipment, as well as programs like Zone Alarm, Black Ice, and the integrated firewall in Windows XP. Activision does not support the use of our games from behind a firewall. If it is not possible to disable the firewall you will need to open the ports for Call of Duty. Call of Duty transmits and receives network traffic on port 28960 using both TCP and UDP. The exact details on opening a port is specific to your firewall. For more information check with the firewall documentation or manufacturer.

Another common cause of problems is a poorly configured router or connection sharing solution. If you are using a router, ICS, NAT or a software gateway you may have problems playing on the internet. This is because the router may not be forwarding the correct information back to your machine. It may be possible to get around this problem using port forwarding or DMZ. You can find more information on configuring shared connections for multiplayer gaming at www.practicallynetworked.com. Please be aware that like a firewall we cannot actively support using shared connections to play online.

The most common cause of problems though is usually the simplest - an overburdened network stack. By default many computers have protocols the average person doesn't use; things like VPN or NDISWAN. You may want to contact your ISP to find out exactly which protocols you can safely remove. Often times network game problems are resolved by something as simple as removing unused adapters and protocols.

The problem may also be related to the status of your ISP or that of the server. Due to the dynamic nature of the internet and the variable levels of traffic, it is impossible to completely eliminate this error. If you are having persistent problems you may wish to try a different server, or just wait and play a little while later.

<=CP=> Forums

Free PHPBB Forums
www.phpbbplanet.com

<=CP=> Teamspeak IP

Free Teamspeak Server

Last edited by .DareDevil.; 01-16-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:17 PM
DogSoldier~MLK~ is offline DogSoldier~MLK~

if the key is invalid and u have the original game then someone has cracked your serila key but if ypou havent got the original game but u have a copy then it wont work

__________________________________________________ _______

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
ASUS AMD 939 SKT K8S-MX
Windows XP SP2
2 x 512MB DDR400 PC3200
Ati Radeon HD 2400 XT 256MB
200GB Hard Drive
160GB Hard Drive
Akuma Case Silver