Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 07-19-2004, 03:07 AM
Cujo>DK< is offline Cujo>DK<

Send a message via Yahoo to Cujo>DK<
Dedicated server

I need some advice before I do anything.

Now I'm wanting to either pay for or set up a dedicated server for my squad. I checked a few companies that offer Dedicated servers for just this purpose. Now some of the better ones were for $100-300 US a month.

This got me to thinking about setting up a server on my own and that's what I need advice on.

Just follow my line of thinking.

I can get a case, CPU, Motherboard, and HD (20 gig) for about $340.

Now I used to have a P3 500mhz with 192mb of RAM, and a 32mb Riva TNT2 Model 64. I asked the members, and they said with my old set up the hardly ever got lag, but there were problems with CI's. So on the server PC I was going to go with a faster CPU and more RAM to correct that issue.

Now to the basic questions that I have.

Is it possible to use a second PC as a dedicated server?

I've got a cable connection would I be able to connect the two PC's to the same cable line?

Let me know your thoughts on this so I can know if i'm barking up the wrong tree, or should I just break down, and pay $100-300 a month.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:20 AM
Systemkaos is offline Systemkaos

Send a message via ICQ to Systemkaos
depends on your upload, if you host two BHD servers on the same router then one or the other will totaly suck, or maybe just both.

With a good server you need a good CPU and at least a gig of memory, and trust me mate nothing worth 340 bucks is going to host any thing good lol thats enough for a CPU and stick of memory LMAO

But trust me you need better then cable if you want to attempt to host 2 servers with out a small hiccup, trust me if you get all your squad to pay for it, iots well worth it
Old 07-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Charlie Daniels is offline Charlie Daniels

Send a message via ICQ to Charlie Daniels Send a message via AIM to Charlie Daniels Send a message via Yahoo to Charlie Daniels
You want 2 computers on the same line, like one dedicated server and then one computer that you use? Or 2 dedicated servers?

Systemkaos is right.

And by the way, you don't need a good video card to run on a server, unless you plan on playing on it also.

Old 07-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Cujo>DK< is offline Cujo>DK<

Send a message via Yahoo to Cujo>DK<
Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Daniels
You want 2 computers on the same line, like one dedicated server and then one computer that you use? Or 2 dedicated servers?

Systemkaos is right.

And by the way, you don't need a good video card to run on a server, unless you plan on playing on it also.
Yeah it would be the server, and the other one would be the one that I use.

Mainly what I'd be hosting would be LW and/or TFD.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:41 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

whats ur connection speed?? I hosted a server on bhd on this pc and the internet was effected on the other pc...
Old 07-19-2004, 06:49 PM
teej is offline teej

Send a message via ICQ to teej Send a message via AIM to teej Send a message via Yahoo to teej
for a good connection, u want a decent computer and a fast connection...an old squad of mine, the founder had two computers, 1 he hosted off and 1 he played on. there was a program so all u do it leave ur computer on and open this program and it shows the desktop of the computer you are hosting from. u can open programs ect. example...u can open bhd and host a server, close the program down on yo ur playing computer, then join your host so u would never ever have to toach your other computer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
ok, now that we are all a little dumber for reading that, back to how much IE is better than any other browser
Old 07-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Systemkaos is offline Systemkaos

Send a message via ICQ to Systemkaos
most people call that remote administration