Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:46 PM
maddog-inc is offline maddog-inc

Sigs, Sigs, "N" more sigs

only joined this forum the other day and every time i have viewed new posts on the forum it has been mostly sigs, do u peeps use this as a sig hosting site or do u use it nova site for all things that are nova related.....???

Not knocking u all as theres some great artwork there but surely ur talents would be better worked on making some maps n stuff.

sorry if i offended anyone with this post but it seems that so much talent in wasted on sigs alone.

If it says im playing Joint Ops,
come find me in the RSU server.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

the sig guys make sigs, thats their forte (sp?) i doubt tat they would all make as good maps as they do sigs, anyway, novahq has plenty of resources for the df gamer, we just have a strong GFX community as well. Yes we do offer sig hosting, on novahq.net in miscellaneous on the right theres a sig hosting link.

Welcome to Novahq.net
Old 01-26-2005, 07:21 PM

Dont get me wrong BB/Mike*MFA* i aint knocking em as theres some very talented artists on here but just wondered why that seems to be to main topic on the forum.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:25 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
It's not the main topic. Does tha main topic have to be DF Related? Just because it's a DF/JO site, doesn't mean anything.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

its kinda deceptive, if you add up all the threads from the other section besides the sigs and graphics they out number sigs heavily, its just because all of the gfx stuff is centralized that it looks more, whereas there are far more threads not to do with sigs and graphics then there are to do with sigs and graphics.

That and sigs and graphics in general seem to be synonomous with the df and jo community, its probably a series of games that attracts the type of people who like sig making or something odd like that. Youll find that sigs and graphics are popular at most df/jo sites, in someways we arent as popular with sigs and graphics, we had to shut the dfx competition for lack of entries we dont post gfx stuff in the news etc etc.

And dont worry, i know youre not knocking the site or anything...

Last edited by Lakie; 01-26-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:11 AM
teej is offline teej

Send a message via ICQ to teej Send a message via AIM to teej Send a message via Yahoo to teej
everyone on this forum is really into gfx.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
ok, now that we are all a little dumber for reading that, back to how much IE is better than any other browser
Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 AM
teej is offline teej

Send a message via ICQ to teej Send a message via AIM to teej Send a message via Yahoo to teej
and about the talent. Alot of ppl here that make sigs are younger and still in school. We dont have a degree or anything for gfx or most of use would have a major in gfx.

and any questions u have about any Novaworld game, we can answer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
ok, now that we are all a little dumber for reading that, back to how much IE is better than any other browser
Old 01-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
fair point maddog, it's been brought up a few times before. it does seem a bit weird to some. i'm not really sure why it happened it just does.

i guess a sig is just something everyone has, it looks cool, i'll give it a try myself... ect etc.

i think that if we didnt have a map database, then everyone would post their new maps in the forum, then there would be a hell of a lot of posts about maps.

if you dont think mapping is that popular around here then check out the 4667 maps in the database it's just that it doesn't really need discussing. people dont post in the forum every time they make a map, their work goes straight to the main page. every question has been asked 10 times after the first week a mission editer has been out, so ther is plenty of info out there for ppl who need any help.

there is generally a lot of discussion about gfx because there is a hundred different programs, millions of sites and tutorials / resources, and even more styles.

mapping is ok (df2, lw (over 100 maps), tfd, bhd) but it's just boring tbh after a year or 2. especially when nova map editers are so rubbish. limited objects etc, you just see the same stuff over and over again. you can be creative but you pay with long evenings, and mappers don't get as much recognition as they used to :/

the good thing about gfx is you can make a heck of a lot of money, even with basic skills. something that will never happen with mapping

it just boils down to what people are more interested in, gfx - not just sigs - wins hands down. i know you dont want to offend anyone but these guys have serious talent and 0% is wasted by doing this stuff imagine someone telling Picasso that painting sux and he should become a bricklayer

as for the site, well i would love more discussion about Nova's games. however there are only 2 main topics that people post about relating to games.

#1 - to moan about the game. rant about what is wrong or why their last gaming session sux0rs, or bug and glitches. seeing as we are not part of Novalogic, is just a waste to post here. this is why NovaWorld forums are so busy, but most of the posts are just complaining.

#2 - cheats etc. which is not tollerated here

also Novalogic games are not really poular so we lose out again :/ - people who post here do not necessarily play NL games but like this site and the community we have e.g. Me, so i'm more likely to post in the off topic than game/map related.

suggestions welcome as to how we can get more gaming/mapping related posts
Old 01-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Stu is offline Stu
Resident Member

well, u did kinda offend me there, maddog. But i do make maps. The reson why i do graphics is because my dad introduced me to photoshop when he was editing his photos, and i'v loved it ever since. And the I moved onto webdesign to (novahq members really got me into that), and now i can do both. I plan to do something in computers when i'm older, something to do with graphics anyway, but it doesn't mean i'm wasting my time away
Old 01-27-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tecoma2
well, u did kinda offend me there, maddog. But i do make maps. The reson why i do graphics is because my dad introduced me to photoshop when he was editing his photos, and i'v loved it ever since. And the I moved onto webdesign to (novahq members really got me into that), and now i can do both. I plan to do something in computers when i'm older, something to do with graphics anyway, but it doesn't mean i'm wasting my time away
Sorry m8 the post wasnt meant to offend anyone.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Stu is offline Stu
Resident Member

Thats no problem atall