Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Joint Operations

Joint Operations Anything about the Joint Operations series of games.

Old 11-07-2021, 02:39 AM
blackhawksky is offline blackhawksky

Noob to Mods

Way back in the day I had the earlier novalogic Delta Force games on CDRom. I was active using them up through Task Force Dagger. Didn't use Joint Ops or the Xtreme games all that much due changes going on IRL.

I missed out on the heyday of JO but I noticed there's still activity. Awhile back I got the Novalogic suite of games from Steam. I've been installing some of them now and finally got it to where I could play Black Hawk Down online. Now I'm trying to get JOps working.

Some of the servers I can't get on, and from what I understand it's because some are using mods. Looking around here there are so many to choose from. How does it work if I want to install more than just one? Will they conflict with each other? Will new mods overwrite the old one?

If there are any friendly people who wouldn't mind pointing me to a detailed post or instructions on how to maintain and use different mods for this game I'd appreciate it.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:31 AM
jabo1SFH is offline jabo1SFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawksky View Post
Way back in the day I had the earlier novalogic Delta Force games on CDRom. I was active using them up through Task Force Dagger. Didn't use Joint Ops or the Xtreme games all that much due changes going on IRL.

I missed out on the heyday of JO but I noticed there's still activity. Awhile back I got the Novalogic suite of games from Steam. I've been installing some of them now and finally got it to where I could play Black Hawk Down online. Now I'm trying to get JOps working.

Some of the servers I can't get on, and from what I understand it's because some are using mods. Looking around here there are so many to choose from. How does it work if I want to install more than just one? Will they conflict with each other? Will new mods overwrite the old one?

If there are any friendly people who wouldn't mind pointing me to a detailed post or instructions on how to maintain and use different mods for this game I'd appreciate it.
mods for JO, JO:E all had to go through an approval process from NL. once they were approved, the different mod teams were allowed to create their own game.exe for the mod they created, so when you install them they have their own exe and icon to use on your desktop and helps to prevent overwriting. BUT, there are small conflicts here and there when more than 1 mod team altered an existing asset in the game, so having multiple instances of jo on your machine is a more viable solution to multiple mods.

each mod also installs the proper files into the "expansion" folder in the jo directory, but the maps still go into the main jo folder and most maps will have some indicator of what mod they are using.

me personally, i would do separate locations for different mods back in the day(i would have 2 or 3 locations of joint ops in the my documents folder). right now i only use the IC mod and do run a server for it called "SFH HELLZONE".

you could also just test them all and see which one you like the most. the main mods currently in use are International Conflict(IC) and Advanced Warfare(AW) mods.

hope this helps.